I'm the top bidder but would like the seller to offer the item to the second bidder

lizmil

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
I recently won an auction on ebay. The purse didn’t have the color listed & it turned out I’d won one of the same color recently. I contacted the new seller to ask if she could offer it to the second buyer. I told her I would pay the difference. There was a $2 difference in our bids (with 27 bids) and she says she will have to pay 2 listing fees of $5 & change each. Will she have to psay two sets of fees or only one? She is only selling one bag. I don’t mind making her whole I just want to verify the info.

I don't think she needs to pay 2 listing fees unless she is going to relist it. Problem is that the second higher bidder might not accept the offer (she is not obligated to) and she has to start the auction all over again.

Yes if she offers it as a second chance offer to the next bidder in line she will have to pay all the same fees as she would for the original listing that you won. She can get her final value fees back from the listing you won if you mutually agree to cancel the transaction, however she will still have to pay the listing fees, ebay will not refund her those. Im not sure if she will have to pay 2 listing fees but she will for sure have to pay 1 & 2 FVF's unless u mutually cancel.

Last edited:
So what would be a fair offer to give her? She had 27 offers I'm sure one of the top several would take it. As I said I don't mind making up the difference but I don't want to pay her more than is fair. I don't know what FVF means. Should i ask her to mutually cancel the transaction?

If the second/third/whatever buyer accepts her Second Chance Offer, she does not pay a new listing fee. Only the final value fee.

It's only if she relists the item as a whole new auction that she pays a new insertion fee.

I'm a bit confused why you owe the seller anything if the item listed was no longer available. If that is the case, you shouldn't pay anything.

If the next bidder accepts it- then you can agree to cancel the transaction so that the seller can get the final value fee back. The seller made the sale so she is responsible for her listing fee and FCFs for her second chance. You technically don't owe her anything, but if you insist you can offer her to pay the difference between your bid and the second offer price- I think you said $2, right? Other than that, I don't know why she asks you to cover her listing fees??

No luvtami,

I am the 1st bidder & am asking her to sell to the second person, but she says she has to pay two listing fees.

It seems, to me , if she sells it to the second bidder who was only $2 less I should owe her $2. She still sold because of the listing just got $2 less, which iIam willing to make up. Maybe to be generous I could pay her the $2 plus one listing fee. which would be like, $5. But she wants $2 and 2 listing fees., which I think is over the top.

I was wondering if what ever I do I should ask to have the transaction canceled because I don't want neg feedback ? I know sellers can't leave buyers neg feedback but they can do the false positive thing.

I agree with what Pigalle74 said above. You don't owe her any listing fees unless she decides to make a whole new auction (and it doesn't seem that there is a reason for that unless the second highest bidder doesn't accept the second chance offer.)

eBay will remove false positives I think, so don't worry about that.

If this transaction with you is not canceled and the seller issued a second-chance offer to te next bidder and 2nd bidder accepted, the seller will be charged twice with the final fees. eBay treated those as two seperated transactions. The seller is carrying a risk since the next bidder may not respond to her 2nd chance offer.

Listing fee is very minimum and may be free since eBay offers 5 free listings each 30 days to certain sellers. The most expensive expenses to the sellers are the final fees. If you two have a mutual agreement to cancel this transaction, the seller will have her final fee refunded.

You will need to work this out with the seller; otherwise you may receive a non-payinig strike.

In one way I think you're being reasonable. In another way, it is not the seller's fault that you won another bag. So I'm of two minds about this. IMHO, if it happened to me as the BUYER, I'd want to be overly fair to the seller, y'know? Yes, making her "whole" is probably a reasonable idea, but for the inconvenience and potential angst for the seller, I'd try to add a bit more compensation.

Often buyers refuse 2nd chance offers because they feel there has been shill bidding. There's a good chance she will need to re-list this item and then wait for the auction to end, then wait for the high bidder to pay, etc.

As the seller, if the bidder who wants to back out of the sale starts worrying about $2 or $5, GIVEN THAT THE BID IS A CONTRACT, I'd be miffed, I think. Personally, I think the cost of the shipping would be a reasonable amount to offer her for her trouble -- because you'd have willingly paid that if you'd wanted the bag.

JMHO, and truly trying to see both sides of this.

She has to pay a higher final value fee when doing selling as a second chance offer. The seller will have to pay the final value fee as if it were a fixed priced item. These FVF are higher then if she sold it through auction, like she did with you.You should figure out the difference of the final value fees she will have to pay if she sells second chance and offer to pay the difference, plus the two dollars plus a little extra for the trouble. If the second chance offer isn't accepted, then she will have to relist the bag and pay for it.

it worked out, It worked out with the second seller she canceled the transaction.

BTW, CowPrincess, I agree with you, I did agree to buy & changed my mind. And I really was willing to make the seller whole. Whole, but not overly generous. I told her right away & there were 27 other bids. It was unlikely she wouldn't get another person to buy. On the other hand other than shipping to someone else, she shouldn't be out should she? If it was a second chance offer, but $2 less on the amount will her fees still end up higher?

BTW, Leeleerae I read your explanation twice & I still don't get it. It isn't your fault either. I guess after being an ebay buyer for years, the seller lingo doesn't make sense to me.

it worked out, It worked out with the second seller she canceled the transaction.

BTW, CowPrincess, I agree with you, I did agree to buy & changed my mind. And I really was willing to make the seller whole. Whole, but not overly generous. I told her right away & there were 27 other bids. It was unlikely she wouldn't get another person to buy. On the other hand other than shipping to someone else, she shouldn't be out should she? If it was a second chance offer, but $2 less on the amount will her fees still end up higher?

Sometimes (as a seller) it is difficult to define "whole". As I mentioned, lots of people won't buy on a 2nd chance, whether they were 1st underbidder or 2nd or 3rd.... and by the time you get to someone who MAY in fact buy, the seller can easily be down $10s or $100s of dollars. Last time I had an NPB, the underbidder wouldn't buy, and the one under HER was $100 less than the high bidder and underbidder. I had plenty o'bids, probably 35, but the GOOD bids were the high bidder and underbidder.

By the time the non-payer process had completed, I was leaving town in a few days. And by the time I got back, the "summer slowdown" had hit. So I still have not re-sold the item. In my case, really difficult to define "whole".

I personally won't buy on a 2nd chance offer (because I worry about shill bidding). I'm glad this worked out for you -- I think you did the right thing by owning up to your mistake immediately and asking the seller to help.

She has to pay a higher final value fee when doing selling as a second chance offer. The seller will have to pay the final value fee as if it were a fixed priced item. These FVF are higher then if she sold it through auction, like she did with you.You should figure out the difference of the final value fees she will have to pay if she sells second chance and offer to pay the difference, plus the two dollars plus a little extra for the trouble. If the second chance offer isn't accepted, then she will have to relist the bag and pay for it.

I agree that you should offer to pay the difference. The seller will have to resell it. She does have fees to pay. She will have to pay other fees associated with the 2nd chance offer if it comes through. But, if the 2nd chance offer or a 3rd chance doesn't come through, what then? If she has a listing restriction, as many sellers do, she may not be able to re-list for 30 days + new listing fees for that.

You could always follow through, then re-sell it. If you have not sold something before, it would be a new experience!

I agree with Cow Princess that it is good you have been upfront, but as both a buyer and seller, I can sympathize with the sellers position too.

Hope it works out well for both of you.

This is going to sound harsh but as a seller I would have just given you a strike.

I hate when a winning bidder asks me to sell to the next highest person, and as many others have pointed out, it's not necessarily a given that they will buy it. My policy is to give ANYONE who does not pay a strike, regardless of reason. I expect to get a non-performance strike as a seller if I do not follow through as well.