I'm the top bidder but would like the seller to offer the item to the second bidder

This is going to sound harsh but as a seller I would have just given you a strike.

I hate when a winning bidder asks me to sell to the next highest person, and as many others have pointed out, it's not necessarily a given that they will buy it. My policy is to give ANYONE who does not pay a strike, regardless of reason. I expect to get a non-performance strike as a seller if I do not follow through as well.

I have to agree here. If a strike is given and the person values their eBay account chances are they'd think twice before doing it again. Too many buyers think eBay is a game and if they change their mind it's as easy as refusing the item, I'm not saying you're like that, but as a seller I find it hard to tell the difference between honest buyers who are genuinely sorry for the situation and someone who just thinks it's ok to do this.

to the last two prior posters,

I guess maybe you do sound harsh. I asked her politely. I don't see anything wrong with my asking. If she had refused and wanted to give a strike that would be her perogative & if I still chose not to pay I would have had to suck it up.

I didn't get nasty with her & I didn't give her a lame excuse & I offered to cover her losses why respect to the next sale. With 27 bidders behind me I doubt she wouldn't have been able to sell. And the last few were a matter of a few dollars apart.

I still think there is room for civility in the world & for people to make mistakes. Since she didn't list the color of the bag & it was a confusing brown I thought it was a different color. And I won a similar auction just before.

I didn't harass or threaten her nor was I rude. I politely asked her to consider a solution. The solution seemed to have worked out for the both of us & no harm done.

I don't see in either post where you were accused of any of that. Selling can be frustrating and the amount of people who pull out for whatever reason can be annoying. 90% (probably even more than that) of excuses are just made up excuses to get out of it. As sellers, who don't know the buyers from a bar of soap, we aren't going to try and work out who has a legit reason and who doesn't. Can't see anything harsh in stating what we would have done and why..??

Why on earth would you ever bid on a purse without knowing the color? Were there no pictures? How could you not know what color before putting in a bid?

Glad it worked out but I'm confused for sure!

Jen

It was a Coach I & I couldn't tell if it was whiskey or natural, they look really close. IT is hard to tell them apart. When I initially bid I didn't have either but I was pretty sure it was whiskey. I kind of forgot about it and bid on a natural & won that one, not really expecting the first bid to carry & it looked like they weren't the same, so I wasn't concerned.

I won the natural & excitedly told a friend, who looked at the second one & told me I was wrong it was not whiskey, but natural. The seller had just said "brown". I really expected the bid I had already placed would lose out, but it carried.

Instead of two different but similar browns I won two of the same So from there you know the story.

Af
Why on earth would you ever bid on a purse without knowing the color? Were there no pictures? How could you not know what color before putting in a bid?

Glad it worked out but I'm confused for sure!

Jen

You keep repeating she had many bidders, just because it showed 35 bids, does not mean there was 35 bidders (one person can put in numerous bids). When someone doesn't pay on my auctions I am even more "pissed off" when I had a lot of bidders, I think to myself why did this person have to win my auction, my bad luck. I had it happen last week and even if the person offered me $5.00 or so (she didn't), I would still have been equally "pissed off". It is not as easy as it seems to non Sellers to go through the whole process and then have someone a day later say they don't want it. Unfair to Seller. I think if someone "makes a mistake" they should still go through with it (that is the rule) and then they will have to sell it on eBay or whereever if they think it is so easy. Sorry to be so harsh, but that is how I feel. That is what legal binding means to me. It's extremely rude to back out no matter what. Ask your questions before you push 2 buttons to commit to bid.

If she had insisted I go through, as I said then I would have had a choice to make --do it or don't. She and I worked it out. I guess some of the others here would have been less understanding & I got lucky.

I wasn't asking whether anyone here would be "pissed" or not. I know it is a commitment to bid. It is also within the rights of both parties to mutually agree not to see it through. There are ways in place that I could be "punished" if I didn't go thru. and I was willing to make that decision. I didn't have to because she agreed to let it go.

noshoepolish--

I found that out later but didn't have that info before. THX

to the last two prior posters,

I guess maybe you do sound harsh. I asked her politely. I don't see anything wrong with my asking. If she had refused and wanted to give a strike that would be her perogative & if I still chose not to pay I would have had to suck it up.

I didn't get nasty with her & I didn't give her a lame excuse & I offered to cover her losses why respect to the next sale. With 27 bidders behind me I doubt she wouldn't have been able to sell. And the last few were a matter of a few dollars apart.

I still think there is room for civility in the world & for people to make mistakes. Since she didn't list the color of the bag & it was a confusing brown I thought it was a different color. And I won a similar auction just before.

I didn't harass or threaten her nor was I rude. I politely asked her to consider a solution. The solution seemed to have worked out for the both of us & no harm done.

Yeah. I am not surprised.

I have been told that I sound harsh for expecting people to follow the rules and honor their commitments. Whatever happened to asking questions BEFORE bidding, instead of asking to be released from the commitment after the seller has incurred fees?

It always seems to come from people who don't want to follow the rules, and expect sellers to just suck it up for the non-paying bidder's convenience.

I wasn't asking whether anyone here would be "pissed" or not. I know it is a commitment to bid. It is also within the rights of both parties to mutually agree not to see it through. There are ways in place that I could be "punished" if I didn't go thru. and I was willing to make that decision. I didn't have to because she agreed to let it go.

But yet you said that those of us who agreed with the punishment that you yourself were willing to accept, sound harsh.
I am not surprised. I think you were asking because you wanted a certain answer.

Last edited:
The issue was resolved to the satisfaction of buyer and seller, so why isn't it dropped? I think that when people are civilized problems can be resolved without strikes or confrontation.

I think that when people are civilized problems can be resolved without strikes or confrontation.
So if a seller has had enough of these excuses people use to get out of a contract they agreed to and decides to file with ebay then theyre not civilized? Im sorry but its good for the buyer in this situation that the seller was able to sell to the second bidder and allowed the buyer out of the transaction but I dont think its wrong of the seller if they are annoyed by this to file for a strike with ebay, its got nothing to do with being civilized or not.

well, in this case the seller was able to sell it to the next bidder and the buyer actually reached out to seller to make things better for the seller. As a seller I would appreciate that. I get frustrated over NPBs as well and selling on ebay has been very difficult, but that' just part of doing business on ebay (being buyer friendly market) I guess. Really, there is no reason to be so harsh on OP.

I'm not going to keep going on because I think we are really all saying the same thing anyway.

The reason I said something was harsh in their response was because the person in their own post said, "I may sound harsh". That's where it came from. I agree with the last several people who posted just before this current post. The seller & I were able to work things out. I was "straight up with her." I didn't give her a bag of excuses & I didn't blame her for my bidding on the auction. I had bid on it, it wasn't clear about the color & I saw another auction & bid. I never thought the first bid would make it through to the end ( i.e. I thought I would be out bid, but I wasn't).

I asked the seller if it was OK with her to go to the second buyer. Sher did & the matter was resolved. No one had to report anyone & no one had to decide to do anything or not do anything against their will. I didn't give her grief & she didn't give me grief. I think that since sellers can't leave neg feedback for buyers anymore a lot more buyers are thinking they can just back out on a transaction.

I never had to make that choice. As I said umpteen times, before, if she had wanted to enforce the sale then I would have has two choices. Pay or get a potential strike. Either one.

End of story. My original question was to clarify fees, not to get in a big debate about whether buyers can get out of buying or whether sellers have to let them. Thank you for the answers to the question.

I'm not going to keep going on because I think we are really all saying the same thing anyway.

The reason I said something was harsh in their response was because the person in their own post said, "I may sound harsh". That's where it came from. I agree with the last several people who posted just before this current post. The seller & I were able to work things out. I was "straight up with her." I didn't give her a bag of excuses & I didn't blame her for my bidding on the auction. I had bid on it, it wasn't clear about the color & I saw another auction & bid. I never thought the first bid would make it through to the end ( i.e. I thought I would be out bid, but I wasn't).

I asked the seller if it was OK with her to go to the second buyer. Sher did & the matter was resolved. No one had to report anyone & no one had to decide to do anything or not do anything against their will. I didn't give her grief & she didn't give me grief. I think that since sellers can't leave neg feedback for buyers anymore a lot more buyers are thinking they can just back out on a transaction.

I never had to make that choice. As I said umpteen times, before, if she had wanted to enforce the sale then I would have has two choices. Pay or get a potential strike. Either one.

End of story. My original question was to clarify fees, not to get in a big debate about whether buyers can get out of buying or whether sellers have to let them. Thank you for the answers to the question.

I said it may sound harsh because I was detailing consequences that can be harsh to people who don't follow the rules.

Not because I was inviting you to pass petty judgments on myself and other posters who would prefer that buyers actually pay for items they bid on.

You are the one who asked for opinions. My opinion, and I know many purse sellers share it, is that buyers who don't pay get a strike, regardless of the excuse.

Last edited:
I understand the frustration of having buyers that don't pay, but here the problem was solved between seller & buyer without disputes. Isn't that a good thing? OP also has explained what happened over and over. What else is she to do? I can see why some disagree, but I just don't see the purpose of scolding.