I'm so, so sad

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! I can't believe it, and in your own home! I'm glad you found out what happened, and so quickly, and that your builder is taking ownership of the tiler's actions. Thanks so much for keeping us updated! :hbeat:

How awful, sad and sickening.

The builder should have done a background check on the tiler. You and your husband trusted strangers to come into your home and compensated them fairly and this the treatment you are repaid. How awful!

I know the word hate is such a strong word, but I dislike a thief.

Last edited:
I am so sorry about your Cles and your husband's Macbook. It always sucks to lose something, even worse when it's stolen from you. I agree with all the above posters, hopefully your builder will know to do thorough background checks and find references for the people he hires. I hope he has insurance, and it covers these types of things. I'm glad that at least he has offered to pay for the stolen items.

Have you tried Find My Macbook? If the thief used it and connected it to the internet, it may tell you the computer's whereabouts. Of course, in case you do find something, please call the police and do not go to try to retrieve your Macbook yourselves.

As for the thief, I believe in karma. What goes around, comes around.

I am so sorry about your cles and MacBook! :sad: it's good to hear that the builder offered to pay for the stolen items. I feel bad for the builder. He was probably trying to be nice by offering the guy a job opportunity to make some money. Too bad the guy abused his trust like that. Hopefully the builder will be more careful next time. It's so hard to trust people now a days :sad:

Some of you might know from my post yesterday that I lost my cles along with my cards & £60 cash (fresh out the ATM).

At the moment we are having a kitchen extension done. Our main builder was here yesterday with a tiler. After I lost my purse my husband wondered if the tiler could have taken it (we have known the builder for 20+ years). I brushed off his suspicions.

Today the builder was back here with the same tiler. My builder popped out for 20 minutes to buy a new lock for my front door. By the time he got back the tiler and my husband's MacBook Air had disappeared!

I'm so sad & angry!!! Thanks for all the kind words yesterday x

Make sure the builder does replace your goods, others are right that he invited him into your home. Personally i would involve the police. It shouldn't affect the builder as long as besides on here you keep this to yourself and don't tell your friends so it goes to the next person etc.

Some of you might know from my post yesterday that I lost my cles along with my cards & £60 cash (fresh out the ATM).

At the moment we are having a kitchen extension done. Our main builder was here yesterday with a tiler. After I lost my purse my husband wondered if the tiler could have taken it (we have known the builder for 20+ years). I brushed off his suspicions.

Today the builder was back here with the same tiler. My builder popped out for 20 minutes to buy a new lock for my front door. By the time he got back the tiler and my husband's MacBook Air had disappeared!

Oh no I'm so sorry. Something similar happened to me. I had an LV card holder that I always kept on my dresser but one day after the lady who use to clean my house was here it went missing. I still till this day do not want to believe she took it and I tore my house apart looking for it but deep down I know she did however it's impossible to prove. The card holder was passed down to me from a woman who is like my second mother so it still hurts till this day for that reason. If your gut tells you it was him I would just not let him back in your house. I let that cleaning lady go because I trusted my gut and no LV has disappeared since.

Reactions: LemonDrop

Louish, what a horrendous twist to "I lost my cles" story. Very sorry that your trust and home have been violated in such unforgivable manner. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It will make me (and I am sure other members) more careful as to, who and how we trust. Hope, you will be able to replace things lost. :heart:

Hopefully you will find it! I got my cles just last week out of impulse purchase, and I love it so much. I know how it feels like to lose something.

Just to give you a little luck, I had my thomas bear charm on my bag, when I got to mrt (similar to tube in UK), it was gone!
I traced my steps back and found it laying in the middle of the road, like literally. Good thing no one snatched it and no cars ran over it!

I'm sure it will turn up!! : )

He had only met the tiler 2 weeks ago outside a hardware store so this is a hard lesson learnt for him! He said he will give us the money to replace our stuff but it makes him look bad as he is an independent builder - his reputation is everything.

Haha I do!
I'm glad he is doing the right thing by giving you the $ for the stuff. he probably doesn't want to deal with insurance or police - but I would still consider pressing charges against the tiler guy or at least submitting a police report. Other contractors need to know this guy should not be trusted. Good luck OP.

He had only met the tiler 2 weeks ago outside a hardware store so this is a hard lesson learnt for him! He said he will give us the money to replace our stuff but it makes him look bad as he is an independent builder - his reputation is everything.
At least the builder is being decent and offering to compensate you for the losses - he could be a real jerk about the whole thing - but the police should be involved. The tiler committed theft which, the last time I checked, was a crime and as such needs to be handled by the law; 'ignoring' it would only encourage the thief further by giving them the sense that they're beyond punishment and that they can steal from other people again. If there's one thing I truly hate, and yes hate is a strong word, it's a thief.

I am sorry this happened to you. I do not trust having workmen in my house without me not being home. I would also question if this person you hired had the necessary information on the tile guy such as his address and phone numbers or was he just using him like paid day labor with no information? It sounds like the builder guy for some strange reason may want the keep you from getting the police involved because maybe he is supposed to follow some labor laws with employees and he is hiring people he meets off the street.

Another thing is to go around you house and check for other things that could have went missing. Would he have access to any important papers and items hidden away in closets, your jewelry? Also do you would need to worry about the personal information on the computer such as banking and credit cards. Cancel all cards and delete all emails with any personal nail information from another computer. Hopefully the police are involved to find this guy and stop him from stealing from others.

We contacted he police the same day it happened. We have made a report and given them all the information we have on them. They didn't seem very interested though, just gave us a crime reference number for our insurance. The builder was there for our interview with the police.

We've checked everywhere. Thankfully he didn't see my LV which I keep in my wardrobe!! I think he was an opportunist. He was only alone for 20 minutes so just grabbed whatever he could in that time. Luckily he didn't see my iPad which was near my husbands laptop - I had it hidden under some letters!

I'm glad he is doing the right thing by giving you the $ for the stuff. he probably doesn't want to deal with insurance or police - but I would still consider pressing charges against the tiler guy or at least submitting a police report. Other contractors need to know this guy should not be trusted. Good luck OP.

At least the builder is being decent and offering to compensate you for the losses - he could be a real jerk about the whole thing - but the police should be involved. The tiler committed theft which, the last time I checked, was a crime and as such needs to be handled by the law; 'ignoring' it would only encourage the thief further by giving them the sense that they're beyond punishment and that they can steal from other people again. If there's one thing I truly hate, and yes hate is a strong word, it's a thief.

I am sorry this happened to you. I do not trust having workmen in my house without me not being home. I would also question if this person you hired had the necessary information on the tile guy such as his address and phone numbers or was he just using him like paid day labor with no information? It sounds like the builder guy for some strange reason may want the keep you from getting the police involved because maybe he is supposed to follow some labor laws with employees and he is hiring people he meets off the street.

Another thing is to go around you house and check for other things that could have went missing. Would he have access to any important papers and items hidden away in closets, your jewelry? Also do you would need to worry about the personal information on the computer such as banking and credit cards. Cancel all cards and delete all emails with any personal nail information from another computer. Hopefully the police are involved to find this guy and stop him from stealing from others.