I'm so excited!

Raspberry

O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
I just got offered a job as a flight attendant! I'm extremely pleased since it's the first time I've applied to any airline. I had been told it's quite difficult. Now all I have to do is pass their medical exam. And tell my mom I'm dropping out of school.

I'm nervous about the last part because I come from a family who feels a college education is uber important. But I am so bored of it right now, I feel like I'm wasting time and money. And I can always go back right? I mean, the school will always be there, but I might not have another job offer like this. Someone reassure me!

Raspberry said:
I just got offered a job as a flight attendant! I'm extremely pleased since it's the first time I've applied to any airline. I had been told it's quite difficult. Now all I have to do is pass their medical exam. And tell my mom I'm dropping out of school.

I'm nervous about the last part because I come from a family who feels a college education is uber important. But I am so bored of it right now, I feel like I'm wasting time and money. And I can always go back right? I mean, the school will always be there, but I might not have another job offer like this. Someone reassure me!

Why bother staying if you don't care for it? You're only wasting time and money. You will do better if you return if you choose to.

hey ya!

well, it seems like you know what you want to do right now and staying in school is not your thing at the moment! So, i say just bite the bullet and go for this job - which by the way sounds awesome! you're still young so you can always go back and study.... im sure... well i hope your Mum will understand... i think its a great idea to take some time off and figure out what you want to do with your life

good luck! :amuse:

Thanks so much.

It's just that I'm Chinese, and I think those of you who come from Asian families will know what I'm talking about. It will be very difficult getting my parents to understand. Basically, they feel if I'm not a lawyer or a doctor, I'm going to be useless. So I'm worried. :sad:

I really want this job so it's going to be a matter of doing it with my parents' blessing or without it.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Raspberry, congratulations!!! It's YOUR life, not your parents'. Don't let anybody make you feel bad about what you want to do. I think your new career sounds really fun and exciting. Best wishes!!

Raspberry said:

Congrats on the offer! If you're serious about it and think you'd enjoy it, then go for it. You're right about opportunity knocking. You could go back to school if you decide later on that it's not the right job for you. As long as you've thought about it thoroughly and you think this is the right move for you, go for it :nuts: My aunt has been a flight attendant for over 20 years. She only flies on the weekends now because she has two children and decided to stay at home with them during the week, but she really enjoys her job.

Raspberry said:
Thanks so much.

It's just that I'm Chinese, and I think those of you who come from Asian families will know what I'm talking about. It will be very difficult getting my parents to understand. Basically, they feel if I'm not a lawyer or a doctor, I'm going to be useless. So I'm worried. :sad:

I really want this job so it's going to be a matter of doing it with my parents' blessing or without it.

OUCH:Push: I really hope it goes well for you and your parents. Just remember, this is your choice for your life. Good Luck!:biggrin:

Raspberry said:
Thanks so much.

So understand what you mean!!! i totally crapped out in school, my parents were and are still totally upset with me... i was suppose to be a doctor - yeah right!!! ha ha, my favourite pass time was sleeping in lectures! hehehe! im happy with my job now and i wouldn't change it for the world... my parents are starting to understand that i am supporting myself and i'm getting good money etc.... i think asian parents are quite difficult to understand - i know for a fact mine are still very much old school and still find it hard to adjust to kiwi life even though they've been here since they were both 18!

good luck aye! ***hugs***

Congratulations! It's a fun job! Don't worry about your parents. Once they see how happy you are they will not be upset anymore. Just let them know you can always go back to school.Goodluck to you!

Congratulations! I hope you love your job and get to see a many fabulous locales! And be sure to tell us about your adventures. :amuse:

Regarding the Asian parent stereotype...so true, so true. The best thing you can do is be happy for yourself and try your best to disregard their disappointment. Unfortunately it's rare to see an Asian parent be proud of their child if that child does not follow the parent's wishes (doctor, lawyer, basically $$ = happiness and success). It is truly a shame.

Live for yourself, to hell with their disappointment!!! :lol:

Congrats girl!

I hope that you really enjoy your new occupation, for fun you should have a little party and watch "View from the Top" which is an adorrrable movie about being a stewardess!

Have fun travelling! If I didn't get a little planesick, I would consider it, flying is exciting!

You sound very enthusiastic about this job and it sounds like a great opportunity so go for it. Or else it will be there in the back of your mind, a pesky little thought like... the bag that got away.:biggrin:

Assert your independance and give it your all. Yes, school will always be there if you decide it's not for you. If school is not engaging you and you don't feel a clear cut path is forming to a career, why not try this? Your parents could do worse than have a daughter that is very happy doing what she wants to do and supporting herself and traveling. But I am aware of the expecations. Good luck!! Keep us posted.