I'm so angry at my cellphone provider! What can I do?

sheishollywood

LiveLaughLove
O.G.
Nov 29, 2006
I need some help because I am seriously going to yell!

I have been with TELUS mobility for awhile now and I had re-signed a contract for 3 years back in Dec. 06. At that time I was under a "Talk TO ME" plan that included Talk and Email for my (then) Moto Q. In Dec of 07, I decided to switch to a blackberry. I have had my Moto Q sent back so many times that I was getting frustrated with going weeks without a phone with email (since I used it for work). When I was at a different location getting my Blackberry World phone they said that if I resigned to bump my contract from now being 2 years (after using 1 year of my contract) back to 3 they can give me a fairly good deal on my phone. I said sure. What was suppose to be $850.00 (with extended warranty etc) I only paid $602.89 for my phone and the warranty.

The plan that I was under had unlimited incoming calls and a pretty fair package on the data end of things. My plan was suppose to be about 60-80$/each month. But when my work load started to get heavy in March-June I saw my bill increase to about $100-130 which I was OK with. I had used the internet a little more and called out more often.

Well this month I haven't used my cell phone much at all. I had a) been on vacation and b) am no longer working with my old company so I don't need to call out if I am at home. I received my bill at it came up to $280.00 this one month! I was so surprised I had no idea how it racked up that much. TELUS also does not send out detailed bills so you cannot even see where you had used your cell phone.

So I call in today to the customer service department and long story short apparently my "TALK TO ME" plan had been changed when I got my blackberry to "TALK A LOT 30"!! I had no idea it changed!! Apparently when I got this "deal" off my phone from the dealership non of my plans should have changed but they did. So this whole year I have just been paying my bill (because it was roughly around the same dollar amount) and not even noticing!

So now I am waiting for them to get back to me to clarify this one bill that just sky rocketed out of no where... but I don't know what else I can do with the months that I have been charged wrong.

I admit I should have looked deeper in the bill but I did not even notice the "TALK TO ME" plan was changed to "TALK A LOT 30". I also looked up my old documents from the dealer that I had gotten my blackberry from and I have a signed copy stating yes I agree that they will change the remainder of my 2 year contract back to a 3 year contract but I did not sign the document of them stating that it would change my actual plan!

I don't know what I can do and how I can fight this! :crybaby::cursing:

ouch. okay, try to find the number for CUSTOMER RELATIONS with telus. call them and tell them your situation and demand to get a credit for the extra money you have spent on the plan that you did NOT authorize to switch to.

as a last resort, threaten to switch to another provider. tell them that rogers is willing to give you a FREE blackberry curve to sign up on a 3-yr contract and that you would be HAPPY to discontinue your service with telus to switch to rogers. if you've been a loyal customer to telus then they will take you seriously and credit you for all the extra charges.

good luck!

ouch. okay, try to find the number for CUSTOMER RELATIONS with telus. call them and tell them your situation and demand to get a credit for the extra money you have spent on the plan that you did NOT authorize to switch to.

as a last resort, threaten to switch to another provider. tell them that rogers is willing to give you a FREE blackberry curve to sign up on a 3-yr contract and that you would be HAPPY to discontinue your service with telus to switch to rogers. if you've been a loyal customer to telus then they will take you seriously and credit you for all the extra charges.

good luck!

Thanks for your help. I have to try again tomorrow to get through their loyalty department and I will try their customer relations department too.

Even if I threaten them to switch providers would you think they would react by saying, "fine I'll put the $500+ bill to break your contract in the mail".

I have been a long term client with Telus and my family uses them through their internet/phone etc everything! :sad:

Thanks for your help. I have to try again tomorrow to get through their loyalty department and I will try their customer relations department too.

Even if I threaten them to switch providers would you think they would react by saying, "fine I'll put the $500+ bill to break your contract in the mail".

I have been a long term client with Telus and my family uses them through their internet/phone etc everything! :sad:

i doubt they'll just let you break your contract, though i don't know how telus is. i'm with rogers and i've always gotten my way with things by complaining my ass off. i've threatened to break my cell phone contract and switch my hi-speed internet and digital cable to bell sympatico. that usually does the job. lol.

...tell them that rogers is willing to give you a FREE blackberry curve to sign up...
That is your best bet. If a blackberry curve does not cost more than $550, pick something that does, pick the one that costs the most, and convince them that even if it would cost you $550 to get out of your contract to them, that getting the whatever for free would still have you coming out ahead, but you should approach it not as an I'm mad at you because you did this terrible thing, but more like I really love your service, I have been so happy, but I am getting these offers, but I really want to stay with yooouuuuu.... but I don't know if I can afford to turn down a free whatever, oh pout.

Telus is terrible, but from my experience (really, my dad's experience) they care a lot about trying to keep their customers. I think it's mostly because people are so unlikely to sign up with them, since their reputation is almost notorious. Anyway, maybe you can just complain and threaten to leave for a better deal like Shimma pointed out.

I didn't read your post because honestly fights with cell phone companies stress me the heck out! I went through hell with Sprint in the USA. I went through such hell that I didn't care that they owed me 125.00 I just wanted them to leave me alone! Quit sending me bills every month for all crazy crap! Go Away! Stop!

I spent hours on the phone with them trying to get it fixed. Many visits to the store. Most of the reps worth worthless. It was awful. Finally I noticed on the back of a bill an address to write to with customer service issues. So I wrote with all the dates and times of calls and told them to look at my account and to please close my account, leave me alone and keep the damn 125.00 !!!!

They did!!! They sent me a letter saying account closed. It was over. Looking back I probably could have written them and gotten my 125.00 back. But at one point they were threatening to turn me over to collections for like $600.00 - It was a nightmare. I just wanted to end.

So maybe write the company. I think they might have to respond differently when you write.

Cant you go online to get a detailed itemisation of usage? I couldnt cope with not being able to control my allowance. I am petrified of going over.

I am pretty good at keeping my minutes and everything under wraps but the problem was I had the WRONG plan that I was going by. They had switched my plan without my notification, so I was thinking I was getting all this free incoming calls and I wasn't. :cursing:

I had talked to their Loyalty Department and complained until my face was blue. The lady was nice but she said that she could only fix things moving forward... everything that is going to be rebated to my account has to go through their Rebate department or something. Basically, how it works is they take your information and your problem, put in a ticket and someone should be in touch with you in 3-5 days. I haven't heard anything yet.

Shimmapuff - I think that approach would be good. When the rebate people call me and I tell them about what have happened and we have to BACKTRACK my bill to Dec '07 when it was changed without me noticing. I will let them know that I have been talking to other providers and their policy about changing plans and that their competitor is willing to give me a free Blackberry Curve. Although my phone right now (Blackberry World Edition) is more expensive, I am liking the curve. So I would be happy with it.