i'm searching for a winter coat between -20°C and -40°C

i might exagerating, but winter in canada is no joke. i don't want canada goose's coat. i don't know which kind of winter coat should i buy. do i have to spend a fortune on it. can someone give me advice.

instead, i saw this pretty coat and i wondered if i can wear this coat in -40C. http://www.dkny.com/women/shop-by-c...14345-y1/dolman-sleeve-coat-with-knit-sleeves

PLZ, i need advice. winter snow is approaching!

When I lived in -39 to -40 C degree temperatures in the winter, the only thing that kept me warm was a fur coat. You don't have to invest a fortune, but you do have to think about your priorities and how important it is for you to be healthy and warm.

The one you posted with all due respect looks like a joke for -40 temperatures. For once, I would want my butt to be as covered as possible and want it to be as long as possible, Secondly, does not even look nearly warm enough.

It does not come close I am afraid. Fur is, by far the best way of surviving such temperatures. A decent fur need, not require a mortgage but try to buy quality.

Good luck and stay warm :smile:

iloverien said:
i might exagerating, but winter in canada is no joke. i don't want canada goose's coat. i don't know which kind of winter coat should i buy. do i have to spend a fortune on it. can someone give me advice.

instead, i saw this pretty coat and i wondered if i can wear this coat in -40C. http://www.dkny.com/women/shop-by-category/jackets-and-outerwear/14345-y1/dolman-sleeve-coat-with-knit-sleeves

I agree with the above posters. Invest in a good one. Try to find a very lightweight shearling/lambskin coat (3/4) or a fur for the ultimate in warmth.

You could also try down-filled insulated long coat. Look for a fill of 700 or more. If you are going to be outside for more than 10 minutes then remember about windchill factor. Look for windproof material. I don't know what your budget is or what you want out of this coat but check SportChek for their outerwear.

If you really don't want a big bulky coat, then consider getting some silk or microfibre undergarments. Look for the ones geared towards skiers or outdoor sports. They are pricey but well worth the money.

The coat you have pictured will not protect you from the cold.

Gosh, -20 to -40 Celsius degrees sounds reeeeeeeeeeeally cold! I come form the Mediterranean so I'm not used to these temratures! I'm freezing even at the mere thought of having to visit or stay in a country with those tempratures!!!

Back to topic, now!
The DKNY one doesn't look very appropriate! You'll definately need something MUCH MUCH warmer.
Fur is the best option as others have mentioned. At least something with fur on the inside. It will definately have to cover your whole body, from top to bottom.
Plus, you will definately have to buy a pair of really warm & water-proof gloves and a couple of earmuffs!

instead, i saw this pretty coat and i wondered if i can wear this coat in -40C. http://www.dkny.com/women/shop-by-c...14345-y1/dolman-sleeve-coat-with-knit-sleeves

What do you not like about Canada goose coats? I do not have one, but I have heard that they are perfect for cold weather.