I'm saying good-bye to Coach

Chrystal162

amoureaux de cuirsac
O.G.
Nov 21, 2007
I've been collecting Coach bags for several years. It seems that whenever I purchase one (and another, and another . . . ), it ends up in the closet after just a few months (or less).

I've come to the conclusion that my bag purchases have been an addiction. Aside from that, I've also been in search of the ever-elusive "perfect" bag . . . one that will work with everything, everyday. There is no such thing.

I've also come to realize the thousands of dollars that have gone towards my bags that could have gone to a much greater cause. And with each purchase, the exhilaration & joy that comes from having a new Coach is very short-lived. In essence, this is not the source of happiness.

So . . . I've decided to rid myself of every single Coach I have. Not just the Coach bags, but all of the other expensive designer bags I own as well. It has been the same cyclic trend with each purchase; all of them ultimately ending up stored away until something else catches my fancy.

I recently stumbled upon a nice Guess bag. It's huge, yet lightweight enough not to strain my neck & back. I carry lots of stuff. I liked one of the huge black shoulder satchels so much that I purchased another in stone (exact same style). Though not leather, they are well-made & I feel they'll last as long as I need them to. Even if they didn't, they would most likely end up as old inventory items along with the others, anyway.

My intent for posting this here was not to be a wet blanket to someone else's enjoyment of Coach. It really is a fine product; of that, I've no doubt. I'm just tired of my obsession, which is what this had become for me. Somehow I feel I'm not the only one afflicted in this manner. For anyone else who feels the same, know that you are not alone.

BTW, this has not left me feeling sad at all. There was actually a sense of freedom that went along with the decision to dispense with all these bags.

Thank you! I imagine I'll be hanging around here from time to time. Maybe to help others, if for no other reason. I've been a purse-fanatic for too long to not at least remain a part of the community.

I'm sorry you felt that way. Whatever makes you happy. For me, I don't think I'm obsess with handbags. I'm just happy that I have an opportunity to own some. I have enough bags to last me for 10 years but right now I'd slow way down on buying because of space issue. If I'm you I won't sell every single one. Maybe I'll keep one that I knew I'll be able to use it for years and years. You spend so much time collecting those JMHO. Maybe you don't buy bags at all for now. You already have enough. Maybe it's time to enjoy all of them. But whatever your decision we are happy with it. Just stop by and say hello once in awhile. Take care.

I have to say that I know what you are feeling. My satisfaction with a new purchase is short lived before I am on the hunt again for something new.
I havent purchased anything new since September 2008. Ive sold most of my collection, not just Coach but some Gucci as well.
Nothing new is exciting to me anymore which is good for the wallet and I dont want to say Im turned off by my bags anymore but theres definitely not that same spark as there used to be.
This cleaning out of my closets has helped me embrace whats left: LV mono speedy 25, Legacy leather shoulder, small soho flap & medium sized Ergo. I use everything I have now and I love them all.
The only bag that has my eye is a Balenciaga First. Im saving for one now. It will be my last purchase for a long time. Absence makes the heart grow fonder????
Good luck to you! I find that checking here is still fun so I hope you still post once in awhile.

I've felt the same way as you many times. Still, I would have trouble parting with my favorite Coach bags. I just stop buying them, then whittle down my collection to where I do use them all.
I would like to see a picture of the Guess bag that caused you to get rid of your Coach bags! :amuse:

I have no real comments, as everyone needs to decide and do what is right for them (i.e. to each his own). I started out with the cheap bags and didn't like the quality (even my Guess bags broke, lol), so I kept moving up till I found brands that I felt were a good value for me. I then also purged all my older bags. I think periodic change is common with everyone, but what struck me with your post was your comment regarding finding the "perfect bag that does not exist"...

This is exactly what happened to Lisa Izad of Tylie Malibu, and how she started her company. She was walking down the streets of Malibu in search of the "perfect bag" and was frustrated in not finding it. So, she decided to design her own, created a company called "Tylie Malibu" (Tylie is her middle name)... and the rest is history! She's done very well!

Hey, if you're creative, maybe you can design your own! ;) I've often thought of this myself!

I'm sorry to see you leave. For me, Coach is the best value for the best quality and I have no regrets getting my lot of Coach bags in different styles. I don't mind dedicating my closet space to Coach. I have looked at so many different bag brands and this is the only one that seems to stick to me.

I agree with Baglady39 that each person has to decide their own route. Good luck in finding your true bag love.:heart:

There was a time I felt the same way, and I was obsessed with bags and the thrill of the hunt and acquisition of the next bag. Fortunately, I worked through that and I now buy bags far less frequently. I still enjoy them and love them, but I no longer obsess. I was able to find a balance.

I am glad that you are making the right decision for yourself, and I am glad that it makes you happy. That is the most important thing!

I agree 100% with you - I am Obsessed with Coach completely - and I confess to that, but I love all my handbags that are in my closet, and do change out about every week - I do know that I should stop buying, but every month a new bag comes out, and sometimes I just can not live without it. I commend you for doing what you are doing, I am not at that point yet, GOOD LUCK

It takes someone with a great deal of awareness to come to this conclusion. I think it's wonderful that you've decided to get off the buy/sell/store treadmill and channel that energy toward other things. If you still enjoy the tpf community, maybe try spending some time in the other non-purse subforums. The Money Talks section has some great conversations going on right now.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll feel a wonderful weight off your shoulder.

Yeah, I felt the same way too with BeeBeeshummer for the Coach 2007-2008 brands but don't feel any interest for the current and latest bags.

I guess for me since I discovered Coach in March of 2008, I just wanted to establish a collection that I really loved at that time. Now that I have quite a few bags in that timeframe, I have slowed down and I am enjoying the bags I own. Accessories, is different issue.

Maybe there is a plateau in the future. I hope to never reach the point where I want to sell any of my Coach babies. For me, I just love :heart: them too much to part with them.

Last edited:
I hope I never get to the point where I have to "quit" Coach. I quit smoking so that I could afford some nicer things (believe it or not its less expensive) and trading one addiction for another is never good.

I'm glad you are able to do what is best for yourself. I can't imagine getting rid of all of my bags even though I have just a small collection. I love all of them and use them all still.

I wish you all the best and hope you can stop by every now and again!

I totally understand how you feel. I got to where I was actually dreaming about what I would buy with my PCE and how many bags I could get and how many neat bags I could find at the outlet. I now have the attitude of just buying a "special" bag along the way that I know I will continue to love for a long time. I try to stay away from "trendy" bags that I know won't keep my interest long. If I find some really good buys on those "classic" bags at the outlet, I definitely take advantage and snatch them up. I'm alot calmer and find I'm very picky with the bags I buy now. And, I find especially right now that there's really not alot of bags at Coach, and other brands, that interest me enough to spend money buying them. I've thought in the past of doing what you did, but I agree with baglady39, those cheaper bags just don't hold up well. And, I personally, don't feel that's the answer to the obsession problem. I have found working with my love of bags, basically Coach, and staying in moderation I have found a peace. Remember, having nice things is not a sin, it's the "love and obsession" of them that's the problem.