I'm saying good-bye to Coach

I used to feel that way for a while.. but I wasn't really obsessed. Since, I sold all my bags except 2 Coach bags and I got a Speedy 30 (which to me, is the perfect bag that will last forever.) Now, I go to the coach outlets and nothing even strikes me because I am prob. obsessed with my speedy so much. I still like coach accessories though.. much cheaper

I feel the same way sometimes. How many purses does one person need in a lifetime? I think I have enough Coach Legacy to make me happy now. I am also saving up for a Balenciaga City and after that I am done buying purses - there are so many other things I can spend it on these days.
I still plan to stick around and share the joy of what others are buying on the forum.

I've been collecting Coach bags for several years. It seems that whenever I purchase one (and another, and another . . . ), it ends up in the closet after just a few months (or less).

I've come to the conclusion that my bag purchases have been an addiction. Aside from that, I've also been in search of the ever-elusive "perfect" bag . . . one that will work with everything, everyday. There is no such thing.

I've also come to realize the thousands of dollars that have gone towards my bags that could have gone to a much greater cause. And with each purchase, the exhilaration & joy that comes from having a new Coach is very short-lived. In essence, this is not the source of happiness.

So . . . I've decided to rid myself of every single Coach I have. Not just the Coach bags, but all of the other expensive designer bags I own as well. It has been the same cyclic trend with each purchase; all of them ultimately ending up stored away until something else catches my fancy.

I recently stumbled upon a nice Guess bag. It's huge, yet lightweight enough not to strain my neck & back. I carry lots of stuff. I liked one of the huge black shoulder satchels so much that I purchased another in stone (exact same style). Though not leather, they are well-made & I feel they'll last as long as I need them to. Even if they didn't, they would most likely end up as old inventory items along with the others, anyway.

My intent for posting this here was not to be a wet blanket to someone else's enjoyment of Coach. It really is a fine product; of that, I've no doubt. I'm just tired of my obsession, which is what this had become for me. Somehow I feel I'm not the only one afflicted in this manner. For anyone else who feels the same, know that you are not alone.

BTW, this has not left me feeling sad at all. There was actually a sense of freedom that went along with the decision to dispense with all these bags.

OMG, ITA!!! I had the exact same thoughts, I was looking for my "IT" bag for so long and still haven't found it, and I also noticed that there's no true joy in an obsession, it dosen't last long... That's why I sold most of my collection as well, and now I m down to only 6, (4 medium 2 small)purses that I use the most... Congratulations on being able to see that and move on! I totally agree with your post :tup:

ITA! Very well put!!!! I've had a purse "addiction" for yrs....since my childhood to be exact. :shame: Although, I've never spent a lot of money on purses until last year when I started buying Coach. It really only brings a temporary happiness....kinda like a high. It's short lived. Then on to the next. I think you are making a very very good decision!!!!! :tup: :tup:

Hi, all. I'm sort of new to the forum and to Coach, so just saying hi first. Mostly I've been camped out on the authentication board, lol.

"Remember, having nice things is not a sin, it's the "love and obsession" of them that's the problem."

Brahh, this is a great point. I grew up not having much disposable income, and sometimes it is SO HARD for me to spend money on myself now that I do have a little. I don't think I'm obsessed, and I hope it doesn't come to that, but I think you hit the nail right on the head. I had never thought of it in that light before. I think maybe what you said will help me get over my guilt/buyer's remorse a little! Thanks!

i completely understand where you are coming from.... i'm new to coach... but i also only have 2 coach purses.... (and for me that's a big jump cuz i've always been a one purse at a time kinda gal....)

heck... my last purse i just replaced was a 9 west (go ahead... make fun! :wtf:) that i had for almost 2 years!

i guess i look as purses differently in that i don't expect to be using a purse in 10 years that i'm using today..... so i don't want to spend a ton of money on something i'm only going to use for a couple years then be on to something new! (and i'll admit... as much as i love reading this board.... i do think that a lot of you are obsessesd! :smile: )

the most important thing is that YOU like the purse you are carrying!!!!!

I think that if someone has a void in their life, such as lonliness, boredom, depression ect...then purses are not going to fill it. It may seem that it like it does at first, then when the high wears off the problem is still there. Kind of like numbing yourself or a distraction from the real issue, JMO.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
I do love my bags don't get me wrong, but like others have said, how many do I really need for little o' me? My husband asks me that all the time, lol!
I have 2 designer bags (LV, Bbg) and I'm saving up for a Chanel. After that, no more.
I do enjoy the "company" on this forum and still love seeing beautiful things so I will forever be on here.

It sounds like you found a solution that will work for you, and Im happy for you. For me personally, I LOVE my bags! I love all of my nice things, and they make me happy. I dont feel obsessed and I think its ok for them to be my "thing" and I dont feel the least bit guilty for that. I have a full, wonderful, happy life with a great DH, beautiful kids (who I would give all of my possessions up for in a heartbeat), etc, etc, but I also like my stuff! Its therapeutic "me time" when I go upstairs and switch out my bag, coordinate my accessories, etc, - it may sound silly, but its just like anyone with an enjoyable hobby. I agree with the statement "to each her own!" Its what makes the world go around.

Well said, Donna! I don't think we should feel guilty for having bags. I have experienced guilt in the past (I got a little crazy with 50% off sales!) but I got my collection where I want it now and it is all good!

I agree Oops...well said Donna! I love my bags and they make me feel good. There is no harm in that. Besides, they are my hobby and if I stopped bags, I am sure I would just pick up a new hobby that I would fill my time and money towards. My hubby is great and my kids are important to me and if I had to sell the bags, I would. I know they know that my purses are important to me though. They all have their hobbies and toys too. I just try to stick with outlets and such. I don't have a retail boutique near anyway. I do have Macy and Von Maur, but they usually don't get a great selection anyway. This actually works out pretty well for me. It keeps me from buying full price and it forces me to wait and think about the bags I want so that I don't rush out and buy them all the time.

Thank you to all who expressed your support. To the others who felt the need to explain themselves (for their love of bags), please don't feel you need to. You have every right to do whatever your heart desires, and it would be inappropriate for me to make anyone feel guilty.

As for me, I'm trying to defeat what I know is addictive behaviour. My "drug" of choice, for years, happened to be nice leather bags. As long as I "need" to have "something" to make me feel good, then it isn't healthy. That's not to say that any of you are afflicted with the same problem. And even if you were, it's still your decision to do what you want. I'm not here to judge anyone.

Maybe the changes I'm experiencing are related to my recent retirement from a 27 year job. But I think not, as my income is about the same as it was before I retired! My younger kids are college age, & I want to do whatever I can to ensure they get the education they need, so I'm sure that also contributes to my current perspective.

Right now, I live only with my dog. My kids are grown & though there is a man in my life, we don't live together. I would really like to be content with that. In fact, as time passes, I find that I really am content with who I am & with what I have (or don't have). If circumstances change to something more pleasurable later, it's an added bonus!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm learning to love myself. I've known the importance of this for years, but it seems that I'm just now putting it into genuine practice. I don't want any THING anymore. I just want to help others. And for that reason, I probably will be hanging around here on occasion. I still find these posts interesting.

Someone expressed curiosity about the Guess bag that caused me to change my mind about Coach. I'll post a photo later. But just to clarify this issue, it wasn't a non-Coach bag that caused me to make this decision. My mind was already made up about buying something less expensive before I went shopping.

Good day to all, ladies!

We all go through changes, cycles at we evaluate the choices we make over the years and how to live our life. Sometimes this leads us to healthier living or eat, changing jobs, or changing hobbies to accommodate how our personality and interests changes over the years.
Some of those habits are hard to break; hence why they are habits.
You have identified an area you are going to work on, and I applaud you for that. Some of the biggest steps are being honest with one's self about the path they need to take to rectify choices they have made or a new goal in mind.

Having bags to me personally does not make me happy, but my satisfaction comes in other avenues.

Good for you for recognizing that it was an obsession and was no longer enjoyable for you!! I commend you for what must be a difficult reality to face. :urock:

I too have been asking myself this question for a while and to some extent yes I have an obsession. But I am a very thrifty person and have not committed the dollar amount you or many others have.

With the realization of my obsession I have decided to stick to getting pouches! I am a small bag person and pouches allow me to get many designs and styles that I trade daily to match my outfits! Plus when you can get them so inexpensively at the outlets it's not such a damper on my bank account. I now feel like I'm a collector rather than an obsessor.

I know how you feel! I started out with Coach, then moved up to Burberry and now get my kicks with Tod's and Prada. It's a pretty expensive addiction as addictions go! I must admit though I keep all my bags (from Vintage Coach to the current Tod's) in constant rotation and don't see myself parting with any of them. They are like old pals!:heart: