I'm one step from BIN.....

Right? Well, that's worst case scenario, most of the time things work out better and parcels often sneak through the customs unnoticed, etc. But it certainly makes me appreciate the sellers who are willing to be a little more flexible when it comes to declaring the item as a gift etc.

You basically get to import a slightly higher value of goods (something like $70 instead of $30) without getting charged in UK. They also charge items declared as Used differently here. I've heard enough about customs in Finland from annanas, they are really strict there. It's a bit more hit and miss here as I received two pairs of jeans from Revolve yesterday, declared at full value and didn't have to pay anything.

But, like DQ said, this only happens to items posted by normal mail, anything posted by a courier like FedEx will get charged depending on the declared value, there's no getting around it.

Oh Nola...don't feel too bad...
Taxes in Canada are ridiculous also...for a $100 item; you maybe taxed $40(average)....for a $1000 you could be taxed 30%-200%....because there is absolutely no standard/guidelines!

Or if there is an official list...I'ld LOVE TO KNOW!!!

Looney is right!
I got stung badly on a bag had to pay customs duty and , extra for the handling company to process the customs fee
so I budget for 40 percent thats why I wont buy outside the EU, unless the seller will mark gift , return of personal item and a low value

ok shopmum what bag did you sneakily get??

If I buy a birkin from the US, which is likely if I get a second hand one, I would see if I could catch a flight and pick it up. It sounds drastic, but I once bought a watch and the duties and taxes etc came to around £700 which was worth me catching a flight to pick it up.
x