I'm not sure if this is good news or scary!

Going on past form with evil bay and the way they run things, I think this is terrifying and it have no confidence in them or their authenticators....

I'll also be happy to take that back if they provide details of their "professional" authenticators and it turns out to be people we all trust on here....

just saw this news article today... i like the idea, personally, we'll have to see how it works

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hting-fake-handbags-with-new-service-ixuk9p48

"EBay is following online luxury consignment startup The RealReal Inc. in San Francisco, which authenticates items and said it sold almost $400 million in second-hand designer apparel, handbags, jewelry and other merchandise in 2016, about double the previous year’s sales. "

Well, considering I've purchased both a very fake McQueen scarf and a pair of boots that were a different brand than listed from TheRealReal (out of not very many purchases overall) I can't say this gives me a lot of hope.

Reactions: cdtracing
Interesting. We were contacted by eBay back in August, they wanted to talk to us about a potential partnership but we honestly didn't think we could keep up with their worldwide demand. I have no doubt they have contacted other authentication services, and maybe a few decided they would go for it.
The problem would be which services accepted the bait, whether they're dependable and accurate and whether they have the decency to admit if something is out of their area of expertise.

The problem would be which services accepted the bait, whether they're dependable and accurate and whether they have the decency to admit if something is out of their area of expertise.
The most important thing about authentication is about credibility and who is to say who is right? Anybody can open an authentication business, you don't need a official degree or passing the bar to do it. Unless eBay is partnering with known reputable authenticators or directly with brands themselves, this is bad bad news!

my understanding is that for current (bag) disputes they use a service called authenticate4u. wonder if that's who they intend to continue using?
Where did you hear or read that?

Although there have been complaints against A4U regarding poor communication, IMO for authentications, they're one of the best.