I'm Not Square -- I'm Cool as an Ice Cube(ie)!!!

Wow, I love it, iluvmybags! It is gorgeoussss. You wear it well too, which means it's meant for you to keep. Congrats!!

Btw, where is that keyfob thing attached? I'm trying to figure out which part of the bag it's on. That would probably bother me at first but if it's hidden, I think I can handle it. The rest of the bag more than compensates for that boo boo.

this is the key fob -- key fob.jpg

the bell shaped piece at the bottom is loose and the keys are fastened to the leather underneath there -- when you push it back, that's what the bottom piece of leather looks like -- I've seen key fobs before and I know that they're almost always split, but this just seems like a very sloppy cut -- I might call to see if I can get another one, but I just want to send them the fob, not the whole bag --

I noticed the corners of the jr at Saks had wear already, and the SA said they had only had them for a week. Probably they were sliding them across the display counter, but I was little surprised that the corners could show wear so fast.

Just curious, but how do they repair corner wear if the color has worn away?

I'm not going to let it bother me, as I figured that there's a good chance that other bags are going to have the same type of rubbing (maybe even worse) -- I saw it before I left the store and the SA told me that I can have it fixed anytime I want -- just let him know. I think it's becuz there are no feet on the bottom of this bag, which I'm actually surprised about - lamb's leather can be kinda delicate and it does seem to create rubs a lot easier than calf leather -- I used to have a Kooba bag and one corner of the bag looked all worn and rubbed, but that's really just the way lambskin is -- it's very inconsistent. Overall, I think this bag looks really good, but I"m glad I have the warranty from MJ -- that way I can have it fixed whenever I want

this is the key fob -- View attachment 531060

the bell shaped piece at the bottom is loose and the keys are fastened to the leather underneath there -- when you push it back, that's what the bottom piece of leather looks like -- I've seen key fobs before and I know that they're almost always split, but this just seems like a very sloppy cut -- I might call to see if I can get another one, but I just want to send them the fob, not the whole bag --

Ok, that's what I thought it was but I just wanted to be sure.

Were there other Shark Grey Cubies in the boutique you bought your bag from? Maybe you can just go and have the defective key fob in hand and exchange it since you're happy with your bag and don't want to exchange that too.

thanks everyone!! its nice to have someplace to go where I can relieve some of my guilt for such an impulse buy! I really wasn't planning on buying anything just yet -- I've been saving up and knew it would come down to the carter or bb -- guess the carter won out!!!

on a little bit of a sad note :sad: - I hope tad comes around soon so she can check her bag -- I pulled back the fob to have a look at the keys (it comes with two little keys for the lock!) and look what I found:

key1.jpg

key2.jpg

I know that (1) it's hidden and (2) that fobs are always split like that at the end, but this looks like someone took a knife to it and stabbed it apart! it's a completely cut unevenly and in spots there's no color, just raw leather. It looks really sad and not nice at all. I wonder how tad's keyfob looks? Is it all uneven and chopped like that?

There are also a few places here & there (esp on the bottom corners) where there are leather rubs -- like you see on a bag that's starting to wear down. I think it's because there are no feet on the bottom of the bag (I wonder why they left those off?) so maybe being handled in the boutique and/or bumped around, the edges started to wear down. I'm sure I could send it back and ask for another, but I don't think I'll do that, as maybe the next one will be even worse. The body of the bag looks good and it's nothing too major -- I can always have them repair it later on after I've used it for a while.

But what do you guys think of the key fob? Do you think it's really supposed to look like that?

first of all, congrats on your new beautiful bag! secondly, my key fob does not look like that at all. the keys are held together by a neat little knot. i will take pictures of it tomorrow if you need me to. you should get it replaced asap.

Ok, that's what I thought it was but I just wanted to be sure.

Were there other Shark Grey Cubies in the boutique you bought your bag from? Maybe you can just go and have the defective key fob in hand and exchange it since you're happy with your bag and don't want to exchange that too.

unfortunately, this was the only Cubie they had and/or shark grey -- that was one of the reasons I got it, since it was the only one (it was waiting for me!)

secondly, my key fob does not look like that at all. the keys are held together by a neat little knot. i will take pictures of it tomorrow if you need me to. you should get it replaced asap.

yea -- that's what I thought. there's a knot, but it's all weirded out -- it doesn't look right -- I just wanted to know for sure before I called & made a fool of myself!! if you could post a pic, that would be great -- then if they ask, I could use it as a comparison -- I hope its not a big deal -- I just want to switch the fobs, not the whole bag!!

..................... But I must be the only one here who doesn't like the pyramids.

do you mean the stones? they are really so pretty IRL -- they've got a marble-like look to them so they're multi-colored -- the nameplate is the same way -- I tried to capture it in the "details" pics, but once I shrunk the pic down (to fit) it lost some of the details -- I wish you could see how they look in person -- much prettier than any pic shows!

Yeah, I call them pyramids. From your description, it sounds like I definitely should check them out in person, especially when I like the rest of the bag so much. I saw some bags with the stones last time I was at the store, but didn't pay attention to them because I was focusing on the leather. I'm concerned that they could get scratched, peel off, fall off or something that could show signs of excess wear even if the bag isn't used much. KWIM? But that would depend on the material. What do you think about that?

unfortunately, this was the only Cubie they had and/or shark grey -- that was one of the reasons I got it, since it was the only one (it was waiting for me!)

yea -- that's what I thought. there's a knot, but it's all weirded out -- it doesn't look right -- I just wanted to know for sure before I called & made a fool of myself!! if you could post a pic, that would be great -- then if they ask, I could use it as a comparison -- I hope its not a big deal -- I just want to switch the fobs, not the whole bag!!

dang woman! another thing?!?!?:wtf: that sucks! i wonder when diego gets back from his trip, if maybe they could just send you a replacement??:shrugs: seems like you shouldn't have to return the whole bag for a key thingy. hope you get it worked out with ease :yes::heart:

Yeah, I call them pyramids. From your description, it sounds like I definitely should check them out in person, especially when I like the rest of the bag so much. I saw some bags with the stones last time I was at the store, but didn't pay attention to them because I was focusing on the leather. I'm concerned that they could get scratched, peel off, fall off or something that could show signs of excess wear even if the bag isn't used much. KWIM? But that would depend on the material. What do you think about that?

I don't think they'll scratch that easily and/or wear off -- they seem pretty sturdy and are probably protected with some type of finish -- here's a little bigger closeup of the lock & the nameplate, which are the same as the stones on the front and back (they're the same color, but you can see how the lock looks different from the nameplate due to diff angles/lighting) -- I still think it's hard to capture their true beauty, tho

details1b-1.jpg

I don't think they'll scratch that easily and/or wear off -- they seem pretty sturdy and are probably protected with some type of finish -- here's a little bigger closeup of the lock & the nameplate, which are the same as the stones on the front and back (they're the same color, but you can see how the lock looks different from the nameplate due to diff angles/lighting) -- I still think it's hard to capture their true beauty, tho

details1b-1.jpg

I see what you mean. It looks opalesced or mother-of-pearlish.

dang woman! another thing?!?!?:wtf: that sucks! i wonder when diego gets back from his trip, if maybe they could just send you a replacement??:shrugs: seems like you shouldn't have to return the whole bag for a key thingy. hope you get it worked out with ease :yes::heart:

I know -- tell me about it!! I told you, I have the worst luck when I buy bags at full price!! Nothing can be simple!!! No -- I don't want to return the whole bag. That would be silly -- the fob is just looped around the handle so I'm just going to ask them if I can return this one and get another one -- I'm sure they have others, as several of the carter styles come with the lock & key -- I really don't want to return the whole bag and I think it would be silly to send it in for repairs on just the fob -- I think I'm going to call NY tomorrow and explain that I bought it at the MbyMJ store here in Chgo & it was the only cubie/shark grey bag they had and see if they can just send me a new fob

I did not realize that the stoned were on the front an back. Now you don't have to worry about which side is facing front! beautiful!

that's true!! there is the key fob that hangs from the front, but I bet there will be some people who buy the bag that take that off (I know some people don't like them and take them off) -- I didn't realize that the stones were on both sides either -- every time I've seen pics, I thought the stones were only on the front! They really are gorgeous and I love how even the lock has the stone on it!!