I'm not loving the resale value of Gucci compared to other high-end companies!

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
NYC
I have been researching bags. That is what I do! I can spend hours seeking out bags until I find that one! Anyway, I've noticed that the only bags that keep their value are Loro Piana, Chanel and Bottega Veneta. Could it be because there are few iconic Gucci bags ie., the BTH, listed? I found it a bit disappointing. :sad: I was just trying to figure out if I were to contemplate selling my bag what I would get close to getting. I would never let it go for nothing because it's made too magnificently!

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I never really worry because I dont resell, I will just wear them until they wear out and since I have bags that are over 40 YO that could mean I will be carrying these bags when I'm 70.

1. Sites that concentrate on H and C tend to lump all other brands together, there are sites that have much more of across the board markdowns like Fashionphile or Portero. Some models of Hermes and Chanel can be difficult to obtain at retail even if someone has the $ for full price. As you say the models that tend to command the higher prices are the so called classics, I have seen many models of Chanel and H for less than 50% retail so it depends. As for LV, Epi leather bags can be picked up for a song even though they still sell them new.

2. I think the sales have a lot to do with it too (we won't go there again LOL). If people think they can get 30-50 % off the retail price of a new bag they might not feel so inclined to buy a pre-loved one. I noticed I was only offered 30% off bags this season and not the usual 50% so that may change. It also tends to be the bags that were bought in the sale on impulse wind up as resale. However, I could sell my Babushka Boston for 4X the price I paid and I know because I have been offered and likewise with my first BTH. If I had an Indy or a Britt I could sell it for the price paid, no prob.

3. Most people are sheep and most people who do not shop at Gucci only see hideous fakes with random Gs and think that is Gucci, I am tired of educating stupid people - at least for free :biggrin:.

4. It depends where you are geographically. The US seems almost spoiled by all the sales, discounts and outlets compared to other regions. I think my bag collection would triple if I lived in the States :lol:

5. Just be happy we are not talking Prada (apart from the Fairy bag) Dior, Fendi or Todds etc ATM because the second hand markdown for most models of those brands practically makes those bags a wright-off.

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
In light of what your said I did some research of my own yogi's etc and something just tells me there are too many bags out there of all kinds a BV Julie for less than (non-quilted) Chloe Bay. Some bargains all-round Chanel included.

(Very nice Babushka Boston on Yogi's if anyone is looking)

What I suspect is people buy for the wrong reasons (all brands) If people held out for the bag that they loved and not what was popular they wouldnt be selling.

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
NYC
Hey PT! I am in total and complete agreement with you. To prove it, I only buy what I love regardless of who manufactured it. It just so happens I have a thing for bags that are very well made, in Italy, and happen to have braiding; hence my two die hard Guccis. I don't know. You are right! I am only looking at sites like Ebay, Annsfabulousfinds.com; fashionphile.com and that is where I was feeling the disappointment. Like you, I only buy bags that I love and have never sold a bag in my life. I don't even know the way to get started. Every now and then I think of selling one of them (having a friend do it for me) but I haven't done so.

I guess like you, I see wonderful quality in the Gucci handbags and would rather see their resale value reflect its value!

GhstDreamer

Lady Philosophy
Authenticator
O.G.
May 13, 2008
Near carnage alley
In the summer I resold my Gucci jockey (my first time ever selling a handbag) and with shipping, it came out to about $500? Which isn't too bad considering it's over a year old which I carried and purchased on sale for around $700 something - I rarely buy any of my handbags or clothes on sale.

I think it really depends on the type of bag too. I would love to buy a Blondie bowler but it still costs a lot of money to buy one used. Other bags that are also no longer released like my tobacco guccissima boston can sell for about the same amount that I purchased it in 2008 on ebay/bonanza if I choose to - which I won't of course!!! lol But I do know what you mean - it would be nice to see a higher resell value on more of the bags especially for the non-logo all leather bags but I think in general most people aren't really attracted to these non-logo all leather bags enough that they would pay a higher price on ebay/bonanza.

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
Hey PT! I am in total and complete agreement with you. To prove it, I only buy what I love regardless of who manufactured it. It just so happens I have a thing for bags that are very well made, in Italy, and happen to have braiding; hence my two die hard Guccis. I don't know. You are right! I am only looking at sites like Ebay, Annsfabulousfinds.com; fashionphile.com and that is where I was feeling the disappointment. Like you, I only buy bags that I love and have never sold a bag in my life. I don't even know the way to get started. Every now and then I think of selling one of them (having a friend do it for me) but I haven't done so.

I guess like you, I see wonderful quality in the Gucci handbags and would rather see their resale value reflect its value!
Well, I think you ask a very important question because resell value does effect the perception of the brand especially non-Gucci buyers.

Doing my 'research' I was amazed at the bargain BVs, Chanels and SF etc, I felt a bit sorry for the 'owner surrender' bags :lol:

In the summer I resold my Gucci jockey (my first time ever selling a handbag) and with shipping, it came out to about $500? Which isn't too bad considering it's over a year old which I carried and purchased on sale for around $700 something - I rarely buy any of my handbags or clothes on sale.

I think it really depends on the type of bag too. I would love to buy a Blondie bowler but it still costs a lot of money to buy one used. Other bags that are also no longer released like my tobacco guccissima boston can sell for about the same amount that I purchased it in 2008 on ebay/bonanza if I choose to - which I won't of course!!! lol But I do know what you mean - it would be nice to see a higher resell value on more of the bags especially for the non-logo all leather bags but I think in general most people aren't really attracted to these non-logo all leather bags enough that they would pay a higher price on ebay/bonanza.
Well done on your Jockey, I bought mine (Boston version) in the sale and it must be one of my most used bags. I could never sell a bag with a horse-bit on it, it's a weakness and what I like most about Gucci. I saw a python Jockey Boston selling for more than I was offered at on sale too so maybe people the Jockey will be another 'hit'

Yes, Blondie is another one (modelled on the 1970s Britt hobo) and the Aviatrix too (I'm over my crush for the Aviatrix now unless it's the exact one I wanted).

Before G re-issued the BTH I saw they were selling for peanuts on eBay but they seemed to have picked up their price big time. I tried to buy a croc BTH for £2K at a vintage shop but the owner wouldn't budge from £2.5 and I couldn't do it that month - it went for it's full price £3K before I could get the extra £500 :Push:

Other Gucci things that sell at a premium are vintage suede coats, flora scarves, chunky silver and enamel jewellery and belts and train cases. These are classic beauties but I love all my Gucci old and new equally :P

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
NYC
Other Gucci things that sell at a premium are vintage suede coats, flora scarves, chunky silver and enamel jewellery and belts and train cases. These are classic beauties but I love all my Gucci old and new equally :P
Funny you mention this. I still own quite a few silk Gucci scarves from about 30 years ago that I get an abundance of compliments on and will never part with as well as sterling silver/enamel jewelry. I had a fabulous GG sterling necklace that just broke! You won't believe this I took it off and forgot I placed it in my jeans pocket and washed my jeans and found pieces of silver all over the machine! The only thing saved was the GG and a drop of the chain! :wtf::cry: Gucci doesn't even make these pieces any more!!! PT, the way you feel about your iconic bags (and rightfully so), I feel about my jewelry and scarves. My Gucci bags aren't icon pieces including the Marrakech; they're just a reflection of my taste - laid back, casual and friendly. :biggrin:

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
:shocked: oh no! Your poor silver necklace, I would die, die die die :sad:

Although, dare I say it Gucci have some great possible replacements :graucho:

And thank you we are all very happy together :lol: