I'm Not An Ethical Bag

to op: This doesn't seem right at all. If you're going to promote a cause, be sure the cure isn't worse than the disease!

I've been using hemp bags at the grocery store, and though many look at you as a hippie, you're doing a service to the planet (and my kids think I'm cool carrying hemp)

I bought mine off ebay for 7 bucks apiece, and they can be carried on the shoulder, (with my kooba Maria balanced on the other. Hey, I think I might be a hippie!)

Mine are Ecolution, sturdy & durable. Here's a link:
http://www.shop.com/op/~Hemp_Shopping_Bag-prod-30375498-39662036?sourceid=3

For all of you non-UK ladies, thought you might like to know...

"I'M NOT AN ETHICAL BAG" was the HUGE TYPE headline splashed across Friday's Evening Standard in London.

Seems the bags were made in a sweatshop in China, not organic cotton, not fair trade anything, and flown in a Carbon-NON-neutral jet across the world to get here to preach the message about not using plastic bags for your groceries.

Nice.

:roflmfao::wtf::shrugs:

No surprises there...

What a total gimmick! :rolleyes: :yucky: :sad:

I was never a huge fan of Anya Hindmarch and I'm even less of one, now.

I've been using hemp bags at the grocery store, and though many look at you as a hippie, you're doing a service to the planet (and my kids think I'm cool carrying hemp)

I bought mine off ebay for 7 bucks apiece, and they can be carried on the shoulder, (with my kooba Maria balanced on the other. Hey, I think I might be a hippie!)
http://www.shop.com/op/~Hemp_Shopping_Bag-prod-30375498-39662036?sourceid=3

Nothing wrong with being a hippie! :biggrin:

As long as you are one in spirit, like you are and aren't just faking it, like a certain person whose name begins with 'A'... ;)

the're launching a limited navy one in the us in june, and the're available for pre-order by may....im so there.

I believe the North American Versions have already sold out too.... :wtf: They started taking pre-orders since early/mid April - my friend called at least 5 Anya Hindmarch stores across the US yesterday and they are no longer taking pre-orders.....

I've been using fabric shopping bags for years. I bought mine back from Australia (from Coles) and it's funny to see other Aussies in the supermarkets here using the same bags. I'm always getting stopped by other shoppers asking where they can get them. I doubt people are going to be using these Anya bags to do their grocery shopping.

Lol, I've actually forgotton what my point was with this thread. Going to have a coffee now.

As regular visitors to TPF know, I was a huge Anya Hindmarch fan. I was not the least taken with this bag on a purely stylistic level and also my eco-warrior pre-teen daughter did make me feel slightly queasy about the relationship between 'cause' and the way she was capitalising on it. . . now, I really feel very differently about the brand. . .usually I am quite willing to separate my frivolous, selfish indulgence from my conscience, but this really does leave a bad tast in my mouth. . . . .

My Dad queued up and bought me one as a surprise, after reading all the enlightening articles about the production of it I am either going to use it for the purpose it was intended for or I'll donate it to my parent's charity and they can auction/raffle it and make money for a good cause :yes:

My Dad queued up and bought me one as a surprise, after reading all the enlightening articles about the production of it I am either going to use it for the purpose it was intended for or I'll donate it to my parent's charity and they can auction/raffle it and make money for a good cause :yes:

What a good idea, at least one bag will have good karma :nuts:

That's a great idea! I know some of us have been annoyed by the prices they're going for on ebay, but if you went the ebay route you might get a good price, then you could donate the proceeds to their charity (or a different one).

Yes, Stevie Lover, I think that's a great idea. Like Cal, I'm somewhat doubtful that most of the owners of these bags are actually going to use them for groceries.

As an American transplant here in UK, I was surprised to learn that most people already bring their own bags to the grocery stores. I was even MORE surprised to learn that they also expect you to bag the groceries yourself. I felt like such a spoiled arse the first time I stood there, oblivious, slowing down the queue behind me because I wasn't bagging while they were checking! :shrugs:

Anyway, sturdy reusable bags are widely available here, and they are quite inexpensive. I chose the ones made from a tarp-like material because they are leak-resistant, with a nice square bottom like the old paper bags so that they stand up straight in the trunk, and they have great sturdy nylon handles. I know they're not hemp or cotton, but they will last me a very long time and they were about a pound each.

For shopping trips in London and on the high street I got myself one of those little fold-out wheelie shopping carts like grandma has. LOL (UK is a lot like New York in that there is very little parking and people walk or use public transport a LOT so schlepping shopping around over your shoulder can be tiring.)