I'm going to Australia!

It's nearly Summer in Sydney but it's already quiet humid and hot. So bring along your bikini's and head down to the beach. Most people go to Bondi, Coogee or Manly beaches.

I could give you a whole bunch of sites but it might not be useful.
Let us know what sort of things you're interested in i.e. shopping, touristy stuff etc

How long and where are you staying?

go shopping!!!
get some aussie designers clothing that being worn by heaps of celebs.
sass & bide and tsubi for jeans, alice mccall or even dresses from Willow!
where are you gonna stay? dont forget to check out paddington area for some major spending :yahoo:

I would like to stay at the Four Seasons or Radisson, but I think DH wants to stay at the Westin for points. I'll get there Wednesday and have time to be toursity. Then Thurs and Fri I'll be free to shop and do things on my own while he's in meetings. I'm SO excited!!!

I would like to stay at the Four Seasons or Radisson, but I think DH wants to stay at the Westin for points. I'll get there Wednesday and have time to be toursity. Then Thurs and Fri I'll be free to shop and do things on my own while he's in meetings. I'm SO excited!!!

Westin is a fine hotel and so close to the shops (martin place then pitt st mall).
Thurs is our shopping nite btw, its the only day all shops open till 9pm (usually they are all close by 5.30pm).
Visit the Strand Arcade within pitt st mall for all aussie designers.
Just let me know if you want to know anything else. My workplace is pretty close to the above malls ;)

Market city, Paddies market are located in one building in Chinatown - factory/ retail outlets.

The rocks has nice scenery, Galleria - designer store.

Don't forget Alannah Hill.. mm beautiful clothes

Sydney is amazing and I'm going back this Christmas!

Anyways, Since it's summer, I would definitely go to:

Bondi - Great Beaches, great food, and a great mall (Westfield Bondi) right near it, with shops ranging from great Australian chains such as Witchery, and Country Road to Higher end stores such as Versace. A bit for every body =)

Paddington - Oxford St is the place to be - lots of cool bars, and clubs, and GREAT shopping. There are vintage stores mixed in with flagship boutiques for Australian brands such as Sass&Bide, Kirrily Johnston, Scanlan & Theodore and Alannah Hill.

Pitt St. Mall & Strand Arcade & Castlereagh St - Check out Pitt St Mall for the two biggest department stores in Australia. Myer is kind of like Macy's whereas David Jones would be comparable to Saks. Along Pitt St. Mall, there are also Australian chains along with Ralph Lauren etc.

Strand contains higher end stores such as Third Millenium, Alannah Hill, Zimmermann. Beautiful dresses to buy!

Castlereagh St is our 5th Ave of NY. Here you'll find Hermes, LV, Gucci, Ferragamo, and Chanel. Alongside Martin Place - where Castlereagh st leads to - and where the Westin Hotel is located (in my memory), are amazing stores such as Evelyn Miles - who are actually having a sale right now! Evelyn Miles stocks designer shoes such as Lacroix, Manolos, and Choos.

Anyways.. this is where I'd hit up for shopping. Check out the australian vogue forums for info on the Australian sales etc. at forums.vogue.com.au

As for places to eat, it depends what you're looking for. Right now, Sydney probably has more Asian food (authentic too!) than western (such as italian) food, more healthy food than fast food. Sydney is a very heatlh conscious city - so definitely don't go to Australia for pizza or any other American takeout food - our dominos slices are about 1/2 the size of a normal American slice (although there are a lot of good woodfired pizza joints). Gelato is popular, and so are Juice bars. Try them - they're everywhere. Also, sit down at a cafe and enjoy a meal =) In Australia - you can eat anything in a cafe - from sirloin, to meat pie, to a mortal sin cake.

Hope you have fun!