I'm getting really annoyed with my secret pocket!

circoit

Aug 14, 2006
Its a nice idea, but it desperately needs a piece of velcro or a magnet or snap or something becauseit just hangs open when I put anything in there and then, when I am not paying attention and just throwing items into my bag, stuff gets into the secret pocket and I either can't find it or it makes it hang open even more and it starts to occupy nearly the entire inside of my bag.

Once, I threw a water bottle into my bag and when it came time to get it out, I couldn't find it anywhere. I was really confused because I could have sworn I put it in there. Anyway, when I got home and went through my bag, lo and behold - I find the entire water bottle tucked away in my secret pocket.

kcd1695

O.G.
Nov 17, 2006
Its a nice idea, but it desperately needs a piece of velcro or a magnet or snap or something becauseit just hangs open when I put anything in there and then, when I am not paying attention and just throwing items into my bag, stuff gets into the secret pocket and I either can't find it or it makes it hang open even more and it starts to occupy nearly the entire inside of my bag.

Once, I threw a water bottle into my bag and when it came time to get it out, I couldn't find it anywhere. I was really confused because I could have sworn I put it in there. Anyway, when I got home and went through my bag, lo and behold - I find the entire water bottle tucked away in my secret pocket.
I'm in the same boat! I just bought a strip of velcro tape and taped a piece on to the back, just exactly above where the current piece sits. It now stays nice and securely closed when I have paper inside.

Ideally, i'd like the pocket to be maybe half an inch longer at the top to better accomdate papers, but this was a quick and easy fix.

Crazy4Handbags

Broccoli, yum!
O.G.
May 1, 2008
Grunge and Starbucks
For some reason, your post made me laugh out loud for real. I sympathize with you about the secret pocket, but the way you told the story made me chuckle. Sounds like BE needs a velcro or buttons or something to keep it discrete and not become the main compartment. hehe. :heart::heart:

finzup

Easily tempted
O.G.
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Thank you for posting this -- I was unsure as to whether or not to choose the secret pocket or the removable divider for the pewter LM -- You now made my mind up; I will go with the removable divider.

maybe you could get a magnetic closure and have it sewn in? That way it would easily separate and open and it would snap shut...

tlloveshim

Emmy!
O.G.
Mar 19, 2006
The Great Plains
Glad you mentioned this! I ordered my aubergine LM with a secret compartment and just emailed Maya to see if some Velcro closures could be added for a little more security.

I must admit that I giggled a bit when I pictured your water bottle in hiding in your bag! It must REALLY be a secret compartment to hide things that well!

merika

Wol
O.G.
Nov 1, 2006
It's great! I keep my wallet in there, but I did add two pieces of velcro.

camommyof3

O.G.
Jan 26, 2007
This also gave me a giggle because it sounds like your secret pocket is effectively keeping things secret. (from you) It sounds like it will be an easy fix.

Contessa

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
Velcro "anything" cheapens the bag IMHO.

I've yet to see Hermes, Gucci, LV, BV....etc....using "velcro" to fasten their tabs.

Not for me anyways.

circoit

Aug 14, 2006
^^I do kind of agree - a magnetic snap would probably work better and look better as well

merika

Wol
O.G.
Nov 1, 2006
Velcro "anything" cheapens the bag IMHO.

I've yet to see Hermes, Gucci, LV, BV....etc....using "velcro" to fasten their tabs.

Not for me anyways.
I admit to dithering before sticking the velcro.

But then I figured the bag wasn't going anywhere so I needn't worry about what a buyer would think, and the existence of the velcro was going to be a secret just between my BE and me...

EDIT: I think the material is too thin for a magnetic snap.

tlloveshim

Emmy!
O.G.
Mar 19, 2006
The Great Plains
I would prefer a snap but am concerned that it'd be harder to open then because you'd have to fumble with the snap. I was thinking of my AP and the little bit of velcro used to close the pockets inside of it. I wouldn't want it across the entire length of the pocket, just one or two small sewn on patches to secure it a bit. I wouldn't want it to be unsightly but discreet so only I knew it was there and not for the entire world to see! KWIM?

Euridice

Sichuan
O.G.
Aug 22, 2008
Baltimore
such a funny post but I also agree and don't quite like the floppiness of the so-called secret pocket. Keeping things secret from you, lol! Cute.

TejasMama

O.G.
Mar 29, 2007
This just goes to show you how effective the secret pocket is... Even the owner can't find stuff! What a great way to annoy a pickpocket.

Charmed05

O.G.
Aug 11, 2007
JoHn'S WorLd
I absolutely love this pocket though it didn't take a week and I was annoyed with my secret pocket staying open. It's great for a diaper that you don't want sitting in the bottom of your bag or sometimes I put certain papers in there that I hate having to rummage through when I'm trying to get my wallet, etc. But, there was no way I could keep using my bag with the pocket open and then some items hanging out...... neurotic like that, and I hate it...so I had no choice, but to try the velcro.

2 little small strips of velcro hot-glued did the trick, easy enough that you can still just slip your hands in and grab what you need quickly, but snug enough to keep the flap secured.

But, I would definitely recommend this pocket. I don't care for dividers in a bag.

Last edited: