Travel I'm flying for the first time in years

kquincy

O.G.
Aug 24, 2007
I have always been an anxious flyer, and after 9/11 I got even worse -- to the point where I said I would never fly again. Next weekend I'm going to fly for the first time in years to visit my grandfather, who is dying of cancer. I feel proud of myself for even buying the ticket, but I'd like a little encouragement from those of you who fly all the time. I'm flying on Southwest (cheapest ticket by far and a direct flight). Any words of wisdom?

On a lighter note, I'm wondering if I should bring a cheaper handbag and not risk my favorite bag being banged up in the security check and on the plane. :confused1: Anyone had a problem with bags being scratched or scruffed during air travel?

Thank you in advance!!!

Sorry about your grandpa :sad: I think the best way to deal with flying is to distract yourself..bring plenty of things to do--a good book, relaxing music, journal and "con" yourself into feeling that you are still on the ground. Good luck and don't worry you will be fine!

I'm sorry about your grandfather. He'll be happy you came to see him.

As for your anxiety over flying...I haven't flown since before 9/11 either. I didn't like it much before and since the horribleness of that day I can't bring myself to ever do it again.

I'm sorry about your grandfather but good on you for facing your fears to go visit him! :heart:

For your handbag, bring the one you like and bring a dustbag to put it in whilst on the security conveyer belt and on the airplane itself to prevent scuffs.

For flying, bring reading materials and an iPod or MP3 player to keep yourself busy. Southwest doesn't offer movies to my knowledge, and the time will seem to pass faster if you're occupied.

I fly a ton but still get a little nervous now and then. I take 1 Tylenol PM about 30 min before the flight. It doesn't knock me out but makes my nerves feel a little more relaxed. Same goes for a cocktail but I don't know how old you are. :smile:

And remember, all the horror on 9/11 was caused by evil individuals, not by the planes, mechanical problems, or airline employees. Remember, they want to get to their families at the end of the day too so they want to ensure to be as safe as possible.

Good luck! You'll do fine!! :heart:

For flying, bring reading materials and an iPod or MP3 player to keep yourself busy. Southwest doesn't offer movies to my knowledge, and the time will seem to pass faster if you're occupied.

And remember, all the horror on 9/11 was caused by evil individuals, not by the planes, mechanical problems, or airline employees. Remember, they want to get to their families at the end of the day too so they want to ensure to be as safe as possible.
exactly! Mp3 is a very good idea indeed.
Everything is gonna be all right!
And I'm sorry for your grandpa :flowers:

I'm sorry about your grandpa. I think it's really brave that you're going, a fear is never easy to overcome (if it was we would all just whatever we're afraid of).
Some years ago I was going to Tampa from Fort Lauderdale with Southwest and that was the funniest flight ever. There had been tons of rain from a hurricane so the flight was delayed. But the cabin crew was so funny, I think all the passengers were a bit nervous with the bad weather but the crew did a great job. (It may sound silly but it really was a fun flight)
Hope you'll have a nice and safe flight and that your family will be happy to see you. Be proud of yourself for doing it!

Thank you all for the helpful comments. :flowers: I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. The trip is going to be difficult enough as it is, considering my grandpa's illness, and the plane ride is just one more big stress that will make it even harder for me. I'm trying very hard to think positive. Thank you for your support!

Statically, the most dangerous part of your trip is the car ride to the airport...remember that. People become anxious because they are NOT in control, unlike driving your car. Upon entering the aircraft, tell the F/A that you are a fearfull flyer. Bring something "juicy" to read or an iPod/MP3 player...anything to keep you entertained. Put your airvent on Full as soon as you sit in your seat. Sorry about your Grandfather but I have faith everything will go smoothly for you.

Valium, if you have it. I take 5 mg right before boarding that way by the time the plane takes off I am sleepy, but not so stoned I don't know where I am.

As far as the bag question, I live in a very small market with a small airport so the security line is rarely more than 3 people long and the agents aren't so stressed out that they're mean to my stuff, so no, I've never had a problem with my nice bags getting messed up.

Valium, if you have it. I take 5 mg right before boarding that way by the time the plane takes off I am sleepy, but not so stoned I don't know where I am.

As far as the bag question, I live in a very small market with a small airport so the security line is rarely more than 3 people long and the agents aren't so stressed out that they're mean to my stuff, so no, I've never had a problem with my nice bags getting messed up.

No Valium, but I do have a Xanax that I'd rather not take unless I'm really freaking out. Thank you for the heads up on care for your bags when flying. I'm not sure what this airport is going to be like...it's been so long since I've flown!

I am sorry about your grandfather, but good for you for facing your fears. I fly all the time as my family lives all over the country but I definitely don't enjoy the flying part. I usually take an antihistamine because I tend to get a bit queasy and that helps. Valium is good too but then I am sooo out of it the rest of the day.

It is funny though because everytime I fly and get myself all nervous I always get off the plane and think, wow that wasn't bad at all, why do I keep getting nervous for nothing? You will be fine.

I agree with Redney, Tylenol PM or a cocktail will go a long way, even a Sominex if you'll be arriving in the evening anyway. And bring an Ipod or a portable DVD player so the time will pass super quickly. You really deserve to be proud of yourself. Family is very important. And you're doing this not only for your grandfather but for your parents and yourself as well.

As for 9/11 - keep in mind that airports are now vigilant about these things which makes them another such event highly unlikely (I actually flew just a few days after 9/11 because I knew the planes would be ultra safe). And, statistically, flying is still far safer than driving.

Your bag shouldn't really get banged up.. You put it into a plastic bin and send it through the x-ray machine yourself. Then on the plane, you just have to set it under the seat for take off. The rest of the time it can be on your lap or whatever.

I'm a HORRIBLE flier-- I get super anxious and sick. I used to take tylenol pm and try to sleep, but then I felt a little groggy and sometimes threw up. I've since found that a motion sickness patch and a painkiller or xanax work REALLY well. Most dr's are pretty understanding, if you just tell them you're nervous about flying. Good luck!

Dramamine makes me drowsy for long flights....and I always bring a blanket (even if I'm going from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale). But now that I fly every other day I listen to music, watch movies, do sudoku. I feel extremely safe on planes...I know that everyone is different but hopefully it will put you a little more at ease. Best wishes.