I'm done for a long while...

TropicalGal

Jan 15, 2007
I think I'm done for a long while... I've bought lots of fabulous bags in the last year -- I've got a representative of hobo, clutch, satchel, tote, shoulder...I've got an LV, Fendi, Gucci, Celine, Hogan, Darel, Gryson, Il Bisonte....
It is time to turn my attention to other things. I need to write a novel....I need to save $$ for my kids' college and my retirement. I'm not a recent college graduate, but I think everyone should read this article and its links. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/02/b...81448000&en=db09c4b60de90b50&ei=5070&emc=eta1 I don't want to rain on your parade. But I think my hunger is sated and I want to stop desiring, and start enjoying what I have.
I will only buy bags on super sale from now on, and enjoy buying them when I "bump into them" instead of craving them for months and from afar.
I am sure I will continue reading TPF, and posting...but I just wanted to say...I'm going to sit back and enjoy what I have, for a long, long time...:flowers:

thanks for the link!
i think i will bookmark this!
I find it to be quite useful - although not all of it apply to me

I don't know I can do what you do tho - putting off buying for a while.... not to mention my birthday isn't here yet! Hahaha

Smart article.
We should all have your "strength" & will power TropicalGal! Just think - we'd all be millionaires in just a few short years (some of us, in months!) if we didn't feed our purse habits!!

I think I'm done for a long while... I've bought lots of fabulous bags in the last year -- I've got a representative of hobo, clutch, satchel, tote, shoulder...I've got an LV, Fendi, Gucci, Celine, Hogan, Darel, Gryson, Il Bisonte....
It is time to turn my attention to other things. I need to write a novel....I need to save $$ for my kids' college and my retirement. I'm not a recent college graduate, but I think everyone should read this article and its links. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/02/b...81448000&en=db09c4b60de90b50&ei=5070&emc=eta1 I don't want to rain on your parade. But I think my hunger is sated and I want to stop desiring, and start enjoying what I have.
I will only buy bags on super sale from now on, and enjoy buying them when I "bump into them" instead of craving them for months and from afar.
I am sure I will continue reading TPF, and posting...but I just wanted to say...I'm going to sit back and enjoy what I have, for a long, long time...:flowers:

I do understand what you're thinking!:yes: I love:heart: this forum ... but it's easy to get caught up in the frenzy of buying another gorgeous bag! Thanks to my mother, I've inherited her fondness for beautiful handbags ... but it is important to remember the other priorities in your life! Moderation is definitely the key when buying handbags! Do what's right for you!:tup: Thanks for the enlightening article!

hi tropicalgal, that was a much-needed reality check! i just started investing and put some of my savings in a CD, so won't be able to tap that for a handbag ;). thanks for the article!

Just want to add a thought: I was afraid that my desire for handbags was unsatiable. And now, I am relieved to learn, that it's not. I am content to enjoy what I have, because I have great ones. (Must get rid of a few...) It is a very calming thought to know that I am not a bottomless pit of desire for handbags, that there is a point when I was satisfied. I guess every woman has that point at a different place.
It is not that I won't ever buy a beautiful handbag again... only that I won't obsess about it.
I now want to turn my attention to other things.

You sound like a very well-balanced person, TropicalGal. It's not about chasing the next "it" bag. You 're content and concentrating on other priorities. The article makes so much sense. We are retired and if we had lived like many of our neighbors, it would be difficult to make ends meet.

Best wishes--drop by now and then!