I'm being scammed by a buyer :(

bisousx

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
Hey everyone,

It's sad to say, but I am joining the "scammed" tpf-er club. Last week, I sold a pair of Chanel sunglasses to a buyer, who now claims that she opened up the package to a cell phone car charger instead. She doesn't seem like a newbie at scamming - as she requested Ebay for my phone number, left me a voicemail asking me to give her a call back so we can 'work things out'. Seriously? What is there to work out? She's just one of many scammers who want to keep the sunglasses and force me to give her a refund!

I was definitely not comfortable with calling this person back! I sent her an email instead, letting her know that I absolutely did not send her a phone charger - in fact I didn't even know what an HTC charger is.

She replied, "I think you can just imagine the sick feeling in my stomach when I opened the package. I have never had this happen to me in all my years with ebay. The package was obviously tampered with because after observing I noticed that it looked like it was opened and resealed and the tape was dirty, it looks like it has been through a war. So I will mail it back to you along with its contents and unfortunately I have to open a case. :sad:"
Just perfect. I love how calm and experienced she is with her reply.

I called ebay to explain the situation and to see if there was any information or evidence I could provide (such as surveillance from the mailing store I packaged the shipment at - I do remember opening the sunglass case at the store to double check before I mailed it) to show that I had sent the Chanel sunglasses - Of course, after reading so many tpf posts from the ebay forum, I knew that Ebay would not be helpful and the rep certainly wasn't.

The buyer opened up a claim, and I escalated the case. Now I have to wait for them to make a decision. I know that her mind is set on scamming me, so what could I possibly say to her that would help me out as a seller in this case?

Would ebay consider her negative feedback? (it's about 97% with the comments made private). She's also changed her name 3 times since opening the account. Meanwhile, I've been a member for 7 years, with absolutely no problems buying or selling (100% feedback).

This makes me feel so disgusted. I really hope that ebay does the right thing.

OP please post the ebay (or bonanza?) buyer's id. Someone here may be able to help you. You can't post your own auction or any name, but you can post ebay id.
Sorry this happened to you. All too often these days...

Can I ask why you sold to her given her history of negative fb and private comments? I would have refunded her payment and not shipped, saying a found a flaw w/the sunglasses.

Be vigilant with paypal. One would think with the abundance of claims like this they would catch onto the fact that buyers are scamming sellers and working the system.

Can I ask why you sold to her given her history of negative fb and private comments? I would have refunded her payment and not shipped, saying a found a flaw w/the sunglasses.

Be vigilant with paypal. One would think with the abundance of claims like this they would catch onto the fact that buyers are scamming sellers and working the system.

That is a very good question, and I really regret not thinking about selling more carefully.

Thank you Priscilla. I should probably change my google settings, can't figure out why I couldn't look up her id.

It looks like she listed an HTC phone - this makes me so upset. I've never even heard of an HTC phone until she told me that's what she received.

It appears that something happened after February 26, 2011 that made her do her FB private. She's the seller of this item prior to that date.
Item number: 270709947378
I know that if you choose to make your FB private then you are not allowed to sell on ebay but you can still act as a buyer and shop.