I'm banning myself from buying new clothing...has any one else tried this?

Matchmaker90210

is chaneling Coco!
Jul 24, 2011
Back when I was in college, I was a huge thift/consignment store junkie, and recently I have been really getting back into going to them and most recently have decided to put a ban on myself to buy only used pieces. I am doing this for a couple reasons, one is, vintage pieces ( which is mostly what I pick up) are better made for the most part. I find that one buys vintage/second hand it's better for the environment and if you buy it at a charity shop, you are donating money as well as getting cool clothes. The last reason is, I find that I can pick up high fashion pieces ( like Pucci, Missoni, Chloe, Chanel etc), for the price of a dress or a shirt from a store like Banana Republic.

I don't know how long I will do this, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried this...?

I pretty much do this. Except for very specific things like hoisery, lingerie, pjs, and when I need specific seasonal items like rain boots. However, I still have items in my wardrobe that were purchased new (though never full price)!

I tried but failed because the power of new item is too big to ban myself from it. I must be crazy. That's a cool idea to buy from charity shop. I am willing to help the person who need me. I think I need a save money planning and this is good for my beginning.

Not intentionally but I am a bit of a thrift/consignment junkie, so i would guess about 90% of the influx of clothes and shoes in last two years have been used/vintage. However i am a sucker for a good deal in any form so you'll also see me at sales racks or discount outlets, but often times i think "i could get this less at [resale shop]" =)

i am an a total thrift shop junkie as well! the last year and a half i have been doing nothing but buying second hand and let me tell you it has spoiled me! now even when i see a good deal at regular stores i translate that price into how many shirts or pants i can actually buy at a thrift shop for the price of that one regular priced item ... i guess its a bitter sweet feeling lol

yes, this season I am on a major purge mood... Already sent a ton of stuff to the consignment shop.. and did well.. using the money for Christmas gifts.

I am determined to really thin out my closet BEFORE buying anything new this season

i am an a total thrift shop junkie as well! the last year and a half i have been doing nothing but buying second hand and let me tell you it has spoiled me! now even when i see a good deal at regular stores i translate that price into how many shirts or pants i can actually buy at a thrift shop for the price of that one regular priced item ... i guess its a bitter sweet feeling lol

This is how I am too! I see how many great things I can buy for the price of one new item, another reason I love to buy vintage is that you can have fabulous items that no one else has, there is nothing worse then spending $400 on a dress just to see someone walking on the street the very next day wearing the same dress, this has happend to me a lot with DVF, but when I wear vintage DVF it's a very slim chance that anyone will have the same item as me.

I put a ban on myself years ago and promised that I would only purchase consigned items or stuff on sale but only if I really needed it. Years went by and I realized it certainly made a lifestyle change for me. Now I feel guilty buying anything at full price or I suppose most things in general. Its good I suppose in the sense of how much money I saved.

I went on a self-imposed shopping ban in 2010. I did not buy any new clothing for a full year, but allowed myself to accept gifts (not things I requested but were honest gifts of clothing) and to use gift cards. It was not that bad, mostly because my closet was really stuffed. It was eye opening to re-visit items in my closet and try to rework them or wear them differently to update a look.

Good lucky in your ban.

yup! i'm on a shopping ban too because i'm saving up for my wedding in less than two years. i'm writing about it in my blog.

rehabmywardrobe.blogspot.com

so far, it's been 4 months and it's actually not bad at all. i agree with luckycloset. it does help you to become more creative about your outfits.

I tried.

Failed miserably.

I do like shopping in consignment and thrift stores, it's bit a thrill of the hunt of finding something really cool, but only if I'm feeling generous with time that particular day.

On the plus side, I keep my closet a reasonable size (only two closets and four dressers) by donating things to my relatives, friends, and local charities every season or so. I actually wear most of the things I have at least twice.

I've never banned myself from buying new clothes, but when I lived in California I had access to a great many fabulous consignment stores where you could pick up genuine designer items for a pittance. So as a general rule when I lived there, I tended to shop more at those stores than at the new clothing stores. Unfortunately where I live now there ar no good consignment stores, so I have to make do!

I mainly shop consignment or second hand unless there is a huge sale on at the mall. I think the only things I have bought new in the last few years are tights and skinny jeans, oh and I bought a wool winter coat new last winter too but that was out of necessity LOL

I've been so bad recently! When I was in college (just graduated in May), we had so many great consignment and thrift shops around that most of my clothes were secondhand. I love the hunt, the quality, and the price! I'm in medical school now, and I have far less time to go out to thrift stores. I've also found the selection isn't as great. Now I'm shopping online mostly, still a lot secondhand, but its just not the same!

Back when I was in college, I was a huge thift/consignment store junkie, and recently I have been really getting back into going to them and most recently have decided to put a ban on myself to buy only used pieces. I am doing this for a couple reasons, one is, vintage pieces ( which is mostly what I pick up) are better made for the most part. I find that one buys vintage/second hand it's better for the environment and if you buy it at a charity shop, you are donating money as well as getting cool clothes. The last reason is, I find that I can pick up high fashion pieces ( like Pucci, Missoni, Chloe, Chanel etc), for the price of a dress or a shirt from a store like Banana Republic.

I don't know how long I will do this, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried this...?

I tried and FAILED!!!!:cry: