I'm back again: 2006 Truffle vs. 2006 Cognac Work

Jenny1963

Jun 22, 2008
Ok,

I'm back with 2 questions:

1. What is the difference between 2006 Truffle and 2007 Truffle? I know that many prefer the 2007 leather, and also that the 2006 leather can be thin, dry, and veiny...
What do you prefer and why?????

2. I again have an opportunity to purchase either a 2006 Truffle Work or a 2006 Cognac Work. Which do you prefer and why? Also, what colors do you usually wear that make your preferred color more versatile for you?

This will be my first Work (I usually carry neutral colored Classic Briefs w/RH or Couriers) and I'm a little worried the style might be too "masculine" for me, if that makes any sense...

Thanks much!!!

I have a 2006 Cognac Work and I have to say that the leather is soft and it looks pretty when it's broken in and not so dry for me :smile:
I think this color is very neutral but at the same time not so boring. I mean it's neutral but not too light or dark. I definitely recommend this one!
Good luck and post pics when u get it!!!

ps.I'm pretty small 94 lbs/ 5"2 and the work doesn't look masculine on me ;) maybe cus its a neutral color.....

I have 2006 Truffle Work! It's darker than 2007 and more versatile IMO. But they're both nice shade of browns.. I think 2007 is a bit more 'golden', if you know what I mean. If I had to choose between Truffle and Cognac, I'd pick Truffle.. but again, I think you should see them both IRL before making decision. Work is such a great size. Good luck!

Jenny, just remember that on those 2006 works the handles are a bit on the short side. They were lengthened in f/w 07. You may not be able to comfortably sling a 2006 over your shoulder.

My vote goes to truffle, btw, although I too would like to see them IRL of course!

jenny, i hve only 1 07 bag and that one was no where near as thick as all my 06 bags i've had..but maybe i'm a special case because people always complain about 06 bags and all the ones i've ever had were amazing =)

06 Cognac is one of the most lovely neutral colors around. Slinkies and I recently saw someone with an 06 Cognac Work at a restaurant and we could not take our eyes off of it. I thought one of us might lunge to grab that woman's bag and run off with it. It was super yummy! love 06 Cognac!

^^ So true.

Cognac has way more character than Truffle IMHO. It can look like several different shades of chocolate brown, whereas Truffle just looks like one.

Oh D, I know, I know!
Here's the issue: I need a medium-toned neutral work bag (actually I need a light one too, but...), but I haven't been able to find the right light-toned or medium-toned neutral Brief yet (with RH). So, I was thinking that at least for the time being, I could get a medium-light toned neutral Work, until my dream Briefs show up. So surprisingly (for me), the handle length issue is on the back burner until a better option surfaces.

Jenny, just remember that on those 2006 works the handles are a bit on the short side. They were lengthened in f/w 07. You may not be able to comfortably sling a 2006 over your shoulder.

My vote goes to truffle, btw, although I too would like to see them IRL of course!

jenny, i hve only 1 07 bag and that one was no where near as thick as all my 06 bags i've had..but maybe i'm a special case because people always complain about 06 bags and all the ones i've ever had were amazing =)

Tofu, you know you're a special case, cutie pie! Seriously, that's really nice to know. I personally haven't seen or touched an 06 (i'm such a newbie), so that makes me feel better that you and Rere have had such good experiences with the 06 leather. Thanks!!

rere, I really appreciate all your input on this 06 leather issue and the Cognac color as well as the all other info on the Steps, etc. I hope our Step adventure works out well (fingers crossed!)

06 Cognac is one of the most lovely neutral colors around. Slinkies and I recently saw someone with an 06 Cognac Work at a restaurant and we could not take our eyes off of it. I thought one of us might lunge to grab that woman's bag and run off with it. It was super yummy! love 06 Cognac!

Thanks, Deco!! If anyone knows about all these colors, it's you! You have such a gorgeous collection; and your modeling pictures are not only TDF, but super- helpful, too! Thanks!!!

Jenny, which one did you go for?

If you do a search on caramel, cognac, camel ... somewhere here on tpf is a fantastic thread with pictures comparing all these mid brown neutrals. It should give you a good idea. Cognac def tends to look more vintage even than truffle, from memory.