i'm a total bag snob...is there hope for me?

shells

will work for bags!
O.G.
Nov 20, 2007
nj
so i know there have been threads where people talk about whether they still use their less expensive designer bags (like coach, dooney, etc), but i'm having a dilemma! i've pretty much only carried LV and Chanel for years now and i'm having a hard time letting go of my bag snobbiness to love a coach bag that i've recently come across and like a lot. as much as i love the leather and color of the bag (gathered large madison sophia in bone), i can't seem to get over the mental hurdle of carrying a coach again! :blush: i figure it can be my way of getting a light colored leather bag that i wouldn't be as upset about potentially ruining (again, i feel like a total snob since this bag is way more expensive than i know many of my friends would ever consider paying for). i got the bag with a discount too, but i know that potential resale down the road is prob poor. is there hope for a bag snob like myself??

kirbymax

LV Happy
Apr 20, 2010
GA
Oh me. I feel a bit this way as well and have felt a bit guilty/snobby for it. I so loved my Coach but really got soured over it because of the outlets/ little resale value etc.. I have kept a few but have to admit that I don't love carrying them nearly as much. And like you said they are still $$ compared to what some of my friends would pay. Even when I carry one of my other bags it always seems I am changing back to an LV after a day or two. I can appreciate other bags but right now my heart belongs to LV. I say carry what you love and be happy without guilt over it!

boyoverboard

Obsessed and in LoVe
O.G.
Feb 9, 2010
United Kingdom
I think if you love the Coach bag, then that's all that matters. I have several less expensive bags, some of which I love (almost) as much as my LV pieces!

kayti

Jan 21, 2010
IST
I know how you feel so I will share my short story. :smile: I wanted a black leather bag the beginning of this year and couldn't find one I really liked. So I bought one from Coach for $458 that I thought I liked (I actually got it cheaper because of a PCE event or something that was going on, even though I am not a preferred customer)... I used it only a few times and now I'm giving it to my sister as a big chunk of her Christmas gift. I ended up finding a nice black leather Gucci bag a few months later that I am a lot prouder to own. A lot of girls really love Coach but it's just not for me. I don't think you are a snob.

lelliebunny

life in mon mono
Aug 4, 2010
personally, i think you should carry whatever bag you like. i have a $20 bag that i carry from time to time. it sits in my closet one shelf down from my $2,000 empreinte artsy. i do think it is a bit snobbish to not want it just because it's coach. if you like it, buy it. i might have a different attitude toward it than most, but i don't consider the resale value when i go to buy a bag. i think a cheap bag (non-fake) bag can look just as great as an expensive one. it doesn't mean it won't fall apart in a few months, but it can still be super cute while it lasts.

LVKeepallfan

Apr 8, 2008
Sunny SoCal, USA
I say get it. The thing is the gathered leather Sophia is one Coach bag you won't see around much and, it's a real Coach bag, not a fake one. The bone is such a great color and so does the black one.

shells

will work for bags!
O.G.
Nov 20, 2007
nj
I know how you feel so I will share my short story. :smile: I wanted a black leather bag the beginning of this year and couldn't find one I really liked. So I bought one from Coach for $458 that I thought I liked (I actually got it cheaper because of a PCE event or something that was going on, even though I am not a preferred customer)... I used it only a few times and now I'm giving it to my sister as a big chunk of her Christmas gift. I ended up finding a nice black leather Gucci bag a few months later that I am a lot prouder to own. A lot of girls really love Coach but it's just not for me. I don't think you are a snob.
this is exactly what i'm afraid of...i like this bag, but i'm afraid i will tire of it really quickly and it will sit there. with a PCE discount, i got it for about $450, but if i don't use it, it's quite a waste! the only thing is i'd like a light colored leather bag, and i won't buy a high end designer bag in a light color for fear of color transfer! it's my own mental hurdle, i guess (don't want it, but it's there!)

Jan 15, 2009
I understand where your coming from. to me if Im going to buy a coach bag it will be on on sale at the outlet and I would not spend more then 200 on it.. I just wouldnt be able to spend more then that on coach. I feel like i am getting a better buy spending 800 on an Lv then 500 for a coach.

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
Bay Area, California
I say get it. The thing is the gathered leather Sophia is one Coach bag you won't see around much and, it's a real Coach bag, not a fake one. The bone is such a great color and so does the black one.
It is AUTHENTIC, NOT FAKE, is a biggest thing for me. So buy what you like, as long as, it is authentic. I rather see someone carry a $200 REAL COACH, then a $200 FAKE LV.

I don't purchase much Coach anymore because they don't sell much boutique deletes at the outlet anymore... which is where I get my Coach, because there is absolutely no reason to pay full retail price when you can get it for less. :graucho:

Besides, for the price of two Coach, I can get an LV. I like did the math, when I sell the LV, I can at least get 2/3 of the original value back when reselling and maybe get 1/4 back from the Coach. So from investment stand point, it makes more sense to get the LV/Chanel/HERMES (okay, this one is more like 40 Coach bags)

I kept the pieces that I really liked and not what people usually see and sold the rest. I still carry my Coach... although, mostly on raining days :P

I just purchased a REAL OSTRICH SKIN clutch and it is also lined with lamb skin... it isn't from any of the premium designer but it sure it is beautiful, authentic exotic ostrich skin. I was a little weary at first because it cost just as much as a preloved Chanel Timeless kisslock clutch but the Chanel isn't OSTRICH! It feels luxurious in my hand and I just couldn't put it down. I told DH, I want to take it to bed... he kinda glared at me... what? I am in love, OKAY?:roflmfao:

DesigningStyle

I left my heart in Sicily.
O.G.
Dec 20, 2006
NJ, USA
Honestly I don't think you are snobby at all. You did manage to purchase the Coach. What surprises me is that you are worried about the resell factor. Enjoy the bag.

needlv

O.G.
Jan 11, 2008
Australia
I understand. But I always think you should carry a bag that you love and will get enjoyment from. Personally, once I purchased LV I have never gone back. But I won't judge others who carry coach... its about what you love and how it makes you feel.

taylorl

Sep 20, 2008
Canada
This is so me! I found a coach, all leather bag, that I love and the price is right, $298, but the hubby is telling me not to get it because he knows me too well! He thinks that as soon as I get it I won't want to carry it because it is coach and not louis...which is probably true! I know it sounds awful, coach is very nice and I love the leather but I love my louis bags and once I started carrying louis I have not wanted to carry or purchase anything else. But I think I want the coach bag...ah what to do!

Jun 24, 2008
Outer Space
I love all designer bags...I LOVE purses. Yes LV is my absolute FAV FAV for 20+ years now and i have owned 25+ LV bags over the years but I still enjoy Gucci, Michael Kors, and especially Coach.

They have come out with some really beautiful bags these last couple of years...and they are not cheap...come o 500+ is not cheap.

Its all about what you LOVE !!!:biggrin:.....because really are you carrying LV because you are a snob...or because you LOVE LV....there is a difference....

go with your heart...

ps.....you can always carry all your LV accessorries in your Coach:P