Ikea.

Sweetpea83

May 28, 2007
Anyone else love the store, IKEA?

That place is awesome..My bf and I purchased a 29.99 dollar coffee table and a floor lamp that was 8.99!! We are going back next weekend to buy the side table..I can't wait!

I loooooooooooooooooooooooove IKEA!!!!!

My whole bedroom comes from it, lmao :smile:

We have a joke in our family that we're all Ikea-University graduates because we can put the stuff together without having any problems :biggrin:

It's ok as long as you don't go nuts with it as the quality isn't great plus my conscience won't allow me to buy anything that is made of MDF

Its great for furnishing flats etc, I tend to stay away from a lot of it now- beds etc just because of quality - but what do you expect for half the price of other stores!Lol!, its great for tealights etc tho!

We have some stuff from Ikea - I find it affordable sometimes. They have jacked up their prices on a lot of stuff and the quality hasn't gone up with it.

Remember the ads that said "Ikea. Swedish for 'common sense'." DH and I used to say "Ikea. Swedish for 'crap'."

The quality is pretty bad. But I got a set of 6 plastic kid's cups for 88 cents, so I won't complain about that.

They also have the BEST return policy EVER. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

like Ikea for some stuff, not everything. children's furniture is cute but not really good quality.. but some of the sofas are great.

I bought both my girls bedroom furniture from them, so far no problems. But I can definitely see what you mean about the quality. The beds arent meant to be moved a lot or jumped on, I can see that they will wear easily. I love Ikea for accesories mainly :yes:

Its like a cheap compressed wood, like woodchip with a coating of plastic, its used for bookcases etc. I am sure Mooks will be able to give you the correct term!Sorry, I was just nosy!Lol!

by the way, Mooks, what is MDF?

It's Mono Density Fibreboard.....vile stuff! It's carcinogenic which is why even if you are cutting it outdoors you have to wear a mask. The glues they use in it are highly toxic and the factories that manufacture it pump loads of crap into the environment.

I believe that MDF can only be sold in ready made or flat pack furniture in the US and can't be sold in hardware stores to be used by builders etc.

Here's some info off the web about it:

MDF can be dangerous to use if the correct safety precautions are not taken. MDF contains a substance called urea formaldehyde, which may be released from the material through cutting and sanding. Urea formaldehyde may cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper ventilation is required when using it and facemasks are needed when sanding or cutting MDF with machinery. The dust produced when machining MDF is very dangerous. Masks and goggles should always be worn at all times. Due to the fact that MDF contains a great deal of glue the cutting edges of your tools will blunt very quickly. MDF can be fixed together with screws and nails but the material may split if care is not taken. If you are screwing, the screws should not be any further than 25mm in from the edge. When using screws always use pilot holes. Urea formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea formaldehyde