Iffy marks on new Mulberry Lily

kakalina

Jul 27, 2013
Hello ladies,

I have received a new Mulberry Lily today and was very surprised to find these "light marks" on the right hand side of the leather flap. They look a little more wrinkled and stretched than the rest of the leather and not particularly natural.

So wondering if this is part of the leather or the tanning process. Should I raise my concern with the merchant?

Even better, can I fix it myself? Maybe apply some cleaning gel?

Hello ladies,

I have received a new Mulberry Lily today and was very surprised to find three "marks" on the right hand side of the leather flap. They look a little more wrinkled and stretched than the rest of the leather and not particularly natural.

So wondering if this is part of the leather or the tanning process. Should I raise my concern with the merchant?

Even better, can I fix it myself? Maybe apply some cleaning gel?

Attachments

• SAM_4315.jpg
    SAM_4315.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 326
  • SAM_4318.JPG
    SAM_4318.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 322
  • SAM_4319.JPG
    SAM_4319.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I think if you're not happy the best thing to be would be to return it. If you use gel, and the marks don't come out, you will probably have trouble returning it as it won't be "new" anymore.

I have a Lily with a similar mark and have found leather gels and cream don't help. In my case I think it was caused by the way the bag was packed - I think the chain handle rubbed the leather. If it bothers you, I'd say don't bank on being able to address it and send it back.

Could it be natural scarring or stretchmarks showing through?

Unless your bag was pregnant before it arrived (and Mulberry can offer you a babe 'Lily' purse to accompany it, free of charge), I would be returning it for a new one pronto. At that price the very idea of fixing it yourself is rather like going into a plush restaurant and dishing up your own meal in the kitchen. :cool:

Have to agree, I had marks similar to this on an SbS in the sales, she was perfect apart from these marks that were bang slap on the front.

I know leather is natural but these look like marks post production.

At the price you have paid, its perfect ir nothing for me I'm afraid

Thank you for all the comments and insights. They helped form a case where the merchant now thinks the "marks" very likely part of the storage but they don't have one (same colour or another) to exchange :shucks: and suggest they take it back for inspection/cleaning/repair but will take 2-3 weeks!

My partner was lamenting that I should never buy a leather bag because leather is a "natural product" and never perfect, and those "marks" willl fade with extended wear. By then, I wouldn't even remember they even exist. Men!!!