Travel If you went to NY, what would you do?

Darling4

Dec 18, 2007
Besides shop of course! lol! My boyfriend and I are going to New York in May. I've never been but he has lived there for a long time before. He keeps on asking on what I want to do/see. I certainly want a chance to hit the shops, see some galleries, and we already have reservations at one of the cities most exclusive restaurants, but what about the rest of the time? Can anyone suggest any good Broadway shows or something at the Met (that they've actually seen or heard great reviews of)? I just want to make sure that I make the right choices, as who knows when I'll be back again?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

The Lion King on Broadway is AMAZING, I would totally reccommend that. Wicked is great too.

You might want to see the Empire State Building or the Statute of Liberty. A comedy club can be really great (id suggest Caroline's), St. Patrick's Cathedral is gorgeous, shopping on 5th avenue, ahh there is so much to do!

Here are some tips from a NY Native:

Cappucino in Bryant Park at the Bryant Park Grill.
Walk around the Financial District. Start at Bowling Green, visit Fraunces Tavern (the oldest tavern in the US and yes, Washington did sleep there), stroll up Broadway and visit Ground Zero (it's a great big construction site now but if you look up, you'll understand what was lost). Go back down Fulton Street to the South Street Seaport (the Titanic was supposed to dock there and you can see the Titanic Lighthouse Memorial on Fulton & Pearl street).
Visit Chinatown and Little Italy. From there, stroll through NoHo and SoHo.
Go to the Natural History Museum
Visit Central Park
See Jersey Boys or any other show that strikes your fancy
Have fun!!!

Go to any and all of the museums...esp. the Met which is very near Madison Avenue so you can stroll down Madison afterwards and window shop (or really shop depending on your budget)

I would bring hand sanitizer and watch where you're stepping (especially in the subway stations)!:P Also, make sure you bring comfortable shoes because you'll probably be doing a lot of walking (especially when you're in the museums)

I haven't done much in the city (it scares me), but the Museum of Natural History, MoMA and the Metropolitan Museum of Art are all great. You also might want to check out The Frick Collection. It's a nice little museum (mostly paintings) in an old house. It's pretty close to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Central Park, and there are a lot of nice stores in the neighborhood. It will be quieter than the other museums, so if you have some spare time and want a calmer museum experience, you might want to check it out.

well...sanitizer is really not necessary unless you're phobic about germs.

yes walking is the best thing to do in manhattan. walking around soho/the lower east side is great. you should also walk around central park and look at all the central park attractions. there's a lake you can rowboat in and a cafe if you get hungry. the Great Lawn is a great place to just sit down on a warm day and relax, maybe have a picnic. also along the museum line nobody's yet mentioned the guggenheim. i've haven't seen a lot of the musicals that are out right now but i loved wicked.

Century 21 is near ground zero and has great bargains.

NY has some of the best cuisine around. Even the peanuts at the peanut stands are sooo yummy!

I don't know if you're a baseball fan but you could do a tour of memorial stadium. I think it's being torn down so this could be your last chance to view a historic stadium.

Also, isn't the LV Murakami exhibit there now? Oh how I'd love a limited edition piece from there!

lorenzo, I love the New York peanuts, too!

I know you wondered what to do besides shopping, but Saks Fifth Avenue has a nice restaurant in the store.

See a musical . . . .

Here's a page on what's playing and on what each play/musical is about:

http://www.broadway.com/gen/concier...age&utm_medium=Button&utm_campaign=buytickets

Go to the Met . . . .

Here's a page of current/upcoming exhibitions: http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_upcoming.asp

(If none of these interest you, you can always just see the museum's Costume Institute!)

After that, go into the cafeteria to have lunch.

shop, eat, sightsee, see a play, take the train, eat some more, shop some more, do some walking. Visit places you see in the movies or on the television. lool

oh and definitely hit the clubs

Contrary to popular belief, NYC is not that dirty and grimy or that dangerous. Times Square looks like DisneyWorld

oh god. avoid times square at all costs. i never understood the attraction of times square. it would be the last place i'd recommend a tourist to visit.

if you're a baseball/Yankee fan you definitely should go see a yankee game since it's the last year they're playing at yankee stadium. :crybaby:

depending on how warm it is when you're here definitely definitely eat at a restaurant that has sidewalk seating. i love to just sit and people watch.

Century 21 is near ground zero and has great bargains.

NY has some of the best cuisine around. Even the peanuts at the peanut stands are sooo yummy!

I don't know if you're a baseball fan but you could do a tour of memorial stadium. I think it's being torn down so this could be your last chance to view a historic stadium.

Also, isn't the LV Murakami exhibit there now? Oh how I'd love a limited edition piece from there!

are you referring to monument park at yankee stadium? definitely a must if you're planning on visiting yankee stadium, though they're not actually tearing it down. they're tearing down shea stadium (where the mets play) but they're turning yankee stadium into a little league field or...something like that.

oh don't forget the zoo (bronx or central park).

the Moma is free in Fridays from 4 - 8 pm. I did that when I was there in Oct and it was great.

Even though its totally touristy do the double decker bus tour. I've done it a few times and I learn something new everytime. You can hop off and on.

Wicked, Lion King, or Jersey Boys are all awesome shows. If you pick one if those you can't to wrong.

I'll be there in May too!! Have fun!!