If you want it, then BID on it!

fabae

O.G.
Jun 10, 2006
Small rant here! WHY, oh why, do people wait until an auction ends (with no winner, so there was no competition) and then send (sometimes multiple) e-mails offering to BIN for less than I had it listed with free shipping if I would just put it back up for them?! First of all, what's with the I-can-take-this-off-your-hands-for-you attitude? Secondly, free shipping doesn't benefit me. And last, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's fallen for the "Could you please relist it with a BIN" and then has it go unsold. I don't get it. Really don't get it. Had to vent! Thanks!

It's sometimes frustrating to have watchers and then it goes unsold, but I realize that some people are really on the fence, maybe they're doing research on what a bag would be worth, or maybe (like me sometimes!) they really want it but really know they shouldn't spend the money and their common sense wins out. But to wait on purpose for an auction to end and then offer the seller less than it was listed and throw in a free shipping deal for yourself while you're at it? Presumptuous, to say the least. Definitely asinine.

definitely annoying!! haha I've only experienced the plethora of watchers, yet the item goes unsold.... but your situation would be equally as annoying.

I would just be like, "well, the item is still available. Why not just bid on it, since I'm not taking it down just to relist it."

My thinking is that NOBODY wanted to pay the price offered or else they would've bid on it. Yes, I want it, but not at that price. If your item has other watchers and some good traffic, then other people are thinking the same thing. Really don't see anything asinine about it.

Now, what is annoying is for people to ask for a lower price, WHILE the auction is still going. Right, if I wanted to list it at 400, I would've listed it at 400 and not 500. When the auction ends with no bids, things change. And I don't think it hurts to ask if the seller wants a quick sale.

Totally agree...I've had people ask so many questions on items (nothing to do with lowering the price), for measurements, more pictures, etc. and still they end with watchers, especially lately.

I usually have to list things about 5+ times before they sell.
And to be honest, lowering the price for me has made people actually stop watching my items before.

Though my favorite is when I have an item up for BIN and I get the "I can pay on xx day, is that ok?"
I say yes, then I never hear from them again. No BIN, nothing.

What's asinine is that it was a Coach keychain listed for $10 + $5 shipping. Auction ended, then I get a message offering to buy it for $10 and free shipping. So first, she's haggling over $5. Second, since I still have to pay to ship it, I would be selling the darned thing for 5 bucks. It's just not worth it. It's also the tone (and number) of e-mails - as if I'm being done a favor. Weird. I'll just keep it in my closet for another year or two.

I know, it´s a pain! I cannot understand why people email asking you to relist an item, and then they don´t bid on it! What´s up with that? I had someone message me wondering if I would relist an item, and I said maybe but I won´t lower the price. Ok, they sent an email saying oh, I wish you´d relist it...I did and they didn´t bid. Strange people!

GOD I KNOW! You know what bugs me the most?? People who watch my stuff but in the end goes unsold... I hate that...

I watch lots of things that I don't end up buying. If I come across something that catches my eye, I'll watch it, be it because I definitely want the item, because I might want the item if the price is low enough when the auction's ending, or because I might want to BIN it later. :wondering But I know exactly what you mean that it's frustrating to see a bunch of watchers on the item and no bids. And then some other items have no watchers but bidders...ebay is a strange place!:confused1:

My thinking is that NOBODY wanted to pay the price offered or else they would've bid on it. Yes, I want it, but not at that price.

ITA

i have contacted one person to find out if she was going to relist and item that i missed because i thought the auction would end later than it did. she claimed she would the next day - so i watched and watched and waited. she relisted it 2 weeks later at a MUCH higher price!! she obviously thought that i would have forgotten what she was trying to sell it for earlier. and once again - no one bid on it!

Small rant here! WHY, oh why, do people wait until an auction ends (with no winner, so there was no competition) and then send (sometimes multiple) e-mails offering to BIN for less than I had it listed with free shipping if I would just put it back up for them?! First of all, what's with the I-can-take-this-off-your-hands-for-you attitude? Secondly, free shipping doesn't benefit me. And last, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's fallen for the "Could you please relist it with a BIN" and then has it go unsold. I don't get it. Really don't get it. Had to vent! Thanks!

I had that happen to me last week. I changed my listing to a BIN for a buyer and they never purchased!:cursing: I blocked them after that.

I'm a watcher and I'm not ashamed of it. I'll buy the item IF I love it and it is at the right price for me. I don't think that it's wrong for people to be watchers as well.

I do think that it is wrong to request a BIN after the auction has ended and NOT follow through when the seller agrees to the request & price set. However it is within the potential buyers right to ask for a LOWER price than what was originally listed. As it is also the seller's right to decline.

As the saying goes: It doesn't hurt to ask. :smile:

ITA

i have contacted one person to find out if she was going to relist and item that i missed because i thought the auction would end later than it did. she claimed she would the next day - so i watched and watched and waited. she relisted it 2 weeks later at a MUCH higher price!! she obviously thought that i would have forgotten what she was trying to sell it for earlier. and once again - no one bid on it!
Yes l agree, l will watch, if it does not sell ask if they will take an offer.....that happened 3 times with a bag.....it never sold.
My offer would not have been a bad one, just not what they were asking KWIM :P

It's all about the tone of those e-mails that bugs me. I get the "well obviously your item didn't sell, so let me do you a huge favor by taking the item of your hands at much less than your BIN" style e-mails. I usually want to reply with "I would rather eat Ramen noodles for the next month than sell to you at that price", but I usually politely decline.

Don't even start me on the watchers. I had one Chanel bag listed and it had over 40 watchers and didn't sell. WTF? Of course I got one of those insulting offers after the end of auction. I ended up keeping the bag. I am not a charity. If people want a Chanel for a ridiculously low price, I usually direct them to iOffer - there you go, now you can get your "Channel" for the price you want :smile: