If you sell handbags on ebay you MUST read this please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Balenciaga (which was a gift) was purchased at the Balenciaga store in NY. On the receipt it is clearly marked that the bag could not be returned after 2 weeks. Obviously, I got rid of the receipt, besides it had all the buyers personal info -- including address and credit card number. If the bag couldn't be returned and it had the purchasers personal info, why would I keep it? SO i shredded the receipt and now I am thinking about selling a bag I don't use. Any suggestions?

This thread was started over a year ago and just bubbled up again. I know some people were asked to provide receipts at the time, and it seemed like a new rule eBay was implementing - but many of us have sold many bags since then without receipts. Even when I have receipts, I've never included them in my auctions. I think you'll be fine.

Hi! It might be a good concept....we all want fake bags to disappear from ebay. But right now, i think it penalizes honest sellers and buyers. Just today, i was thinking about making an offer on a gorgeous sapin city, from a pfer with 100% positive feedback, and the listing was canceled (and the account suspended/deleted)! I'm not sure why, but it might be because of that "receipt policy".... :sad:

This thread was started over a year ago and just bubbled up again. I know some people were asked to provide receipts at the time, and it seemed like a new rule eBay was implementing - but many of us have sold many bags since then without receipts. Even when I have receipts, I've never included them in my auctions. I think you'll be fine.

Thanks for pointing this out, LP!! I had missed the original date when I read through the thread. I'm considering selling a few bags, and was really concerned since I don't have receipts for all of them. Good to know that it won't necessarily be an issue.

I'm not a regular Ebay seller - just do it periodically to clean out my closet - I just sold a bunch of bags that I just wasn't using but certainly didn't include any receipts although I bought them all at regular retailers - Coach, Fiore, K Spade, etc. - so far I've had no problem, but as a Buyer this makes me think twice - I was seriously looking at a Bal Bag listed right now that is totally authentic, but I'd hate to think I'd not be able to resell down the road if I wanted to. Makes me think regular retail might be the way to go for high end bags. Also, I see so many obviously fake auctions, but they don't seem to get suspended - some of these sellers have been selling for years.

A lot of good copies of receipts are. Don't they know THESE ARE FAKED TOO!?!?!?!?:yucky:

Exactly!

On the one hand, I like that Ebay is trying to do this, but on the other hand, what a hassle! I don't keep receipts for any of my bags once I have carried them and know I am going to keep them. Ugh.

They should just hire people who are trained well in spotting fakes. The police departments in places like NYC actually have representatives from the designer stores come in and train the cops how to spot a fake. Why can't ebay do this too?

ETA: Oops! Just saw that this is an old thread. Still, I think it's a strange thing for them to require.

As I've stated before this issue needs to be addressed by the manufacturers like Coach, LV, Gucci, etc from the SOURCE. The counterfeiters themselves! It's like trying to police the drug cartels. The only way all these fake bags will be stopped, is if the manufacturers go after the counterfeiters and not secondary marketplaces like ebay.
Trying to police ebay is like trying to shoot a mouse in a dark barn with a blindfold on.

Its too bad that a lot of sellers on ebay that have been getting away with selling fakes for such a long time, and that ebay has probably just had enough with it and drove them to this degree. I am a seller on ebay, of Coach bags, and I have to say that it is really unfair to people like me who know Coach very well and I know if I have a fake or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.