If You See Something Would You Say Something ?

okay w/ the fire at Best Buy! LOL! There's have to be spontaneous combustion for people to not get out! LOL!
There are MORE THAN one set of Emergency Exit doors in a joint that size.

Athens-Clarke County Fire Marshal: 706-613-3363

and honestly, 15 seconds is like nothing. we have sprinklers, fire extinguishers, and a gargantuan front exit. unless the thing explodes like a huge meth lab, i think we'll be ok, and in that case, we'd be screwed even if the doors didn't have a delay.

amanda said:
Athens-Clarke County Fire Marshal: 706-613-3363

and honestly, 15 seconds is like nothing. we have sprinklers, fire extinguishers, and a gargantuan front exit. unless the thing explodes like a huge meth lab, i think we'll be ok, and in that case, we'd be screwed even if the doors didn't have a delay.

Thanks for the number. :amuse:

amanda said:

LOL!:lol: That's what I was saying about the spontaneous combustion!

chloehandbags said:
If I saw it happening in a small independent store, or boutique, I would definitely say something - as that could mean the difference between the business staying afloat, or not.

I am not so sure with a big chain, I probably still would; the only reason I might hesitate, is that when I was a child, my mum tried to report a shoplifter to a shop assistant in a supermarket and the SA just said;

'Yeah, I know.....what do you expect me to do about it?' :amazed:

Unfortunatly you hear that alot these days.

Luckily things were taped...and a few couples came forward AFTER...but she was literally on the ground beaten (two black eyes, 2 teeth knocked out, and 2 fractured ribs, crying in a pool of blood, and no one helped her at that time. She had to crawl/ try and walk and find a security man!!) walking by loads of people...blows my mind. Yes, I would have come forward at the time and after.

Sunshine said:
Luckily things were taped...and a few couples came forward AFTER...but she was literally on the ground beaten (two black eyes, 2 teeth knocked out, and 2 fractured ribs, crying in a pool of blood, and no one helped her at that time. She had to crawl/ try and walk and find a security man!!) walking by loads of people...blows my mind. Yes, I would have come forward at the time and after.

this reminds me of the Kitty Genovese murder case. i'm sure anyone here that has taken a sociology class has heard of it, but what happened was this woman was attacked on a highly populated street at night in Queens. she screamed for help for hours, and her attacker came back two separate times to assault her more, and hundreds of residents of the nearby apartments heard her screaming, but no one called the police. she eventually died. the reason sociologists study it is because of the diffusion of responsibility - if a hundred people hear the same attack, the social responsibility for any one of those people to act is diminished as a result of the presence of others.

it's all thoroughly and utterly disturbing, i'm glad your MIL was eventually ok.

Sunshine said:

What were the charges brought against the perpetrators ? G.B.H ?

Sunshine said:

:cry: that's REALLY so unbelievable:sad2:
I cannot even imagine . . .

jillybean307 said:
I have and will always say something. Typically, I'll walk up to an SA and say, "You should keep an eye on the two men near that rack." I worked at Abercrombie for 2 years and can usually pick out a shoplifter when I'm in the mall. You'd be amazed at the techniques they use (the most popular one is large shopping bags lined with aluminum foil and layers of duct tape!).

On one of my shifts, shoplifters managed to steal an entire table of jeans! It happened in a blink of an eye, and we lost 30+ pairs of jeans. And people wonder why clothing prices are on the rise. Stores have to make up the money somehow. The store I worked at had a 17% shrinkaage rate. That means for every 100 items sold, 17 were shoplifted!

:amazed: I didn't know things like that actually happen!! I thought shoplifting was mostly just cheap teenagers stealing a thing or two.

Sunshine, that's horrific! I can imagine people being frightened to intervene directly when there are guns involved, but that's why God invented cell phones. And to just leave her helpless afterward is really shocking.

I live in a small peaceful town... and I tried once to turn in a guy for abusing his dog in a parking lot. I started with SPCA - they don't do direct response, call Animal Control. Called AC - they're not working on the weekend, call the police. Called the police, and they said, and I'm not kidding: "We have real crimes to pursue, we can't be looking after stray dogs." I was furious - yelled at the cop that we haven't had a real crime in this town since 1992... not quite true but I was mad.