if you feed your dog BLUE BUFFALO, read this!

shorty0527

tPF=purses anonymous
O.G.
Feb 5, 2007
i am absolutely livid! :mad::censor::rant:

i ran out of dog food, went to PetSmart and purchased a bag of blue buffalo dog food as i have been for about a year now. i pour dog food in a container for freshness as i'm pouring, there were large chunks of dog food stuck together with MOLD ON THEM. MOLD MOLD MOLD EVERYWHERE. this is NOT a cheap dog food! i pay the money because i care for my pets health. i took pics of everything and just emailed blue buffalo. i will not be using their dog food any longer! if you use their products please be careful!!

i am sorry for the rant, but i needed to get this our somewhere.

on a side note: does anyone recommend a dog food? i was thinking of switching to acana?

That is insane! I feed this brand to my cats and it is definitely not cheap! At least you found out before feeding it to your pups. Hopefully this was just a one time freak accident, maybe the bag got wet while shipping or in storage. You should definitely alert petsmart as well so they can check out the other bags.

I would also return it to PetSmart. I use Blue Buffalo and I've never had any problems. Sounds like the bag probably got wet somewhere down the line and no one noticed.

thats disgusting. sounds like petsmart should be keeping better track of their stock? on a wierd note though, while it's obviously gross, perhaps a good sign the stuff isn't riddled with preservatives?

Ditto what other people are saying about contact petsmart... I worked at a petstore and the only time i've seen moldy dry food is from improper handling and storage...
It will go from the manufacturing facility, transported to a wholesaler, transported from the wholesaler to the retail location... multiple points for the food to get damp and begin growing mold..

I don't want to be dismissive of the nastiness of what you found though. It also brings out a good reason that it can be beneficial to store the food somewhere other than in the bag it comes in.

Sorry you had such a nasty and frustrating experience.. especially when you were already out of food and then the bag you tried to get was a total loss...

This was posted on my dog rescue site November 27th/2011:
It was on Fox news earlier that 70 dogs have died as a result of eating chicken jerky treats made from chicken that has come from China. Kingdom Pets brand from Costco is one of them. Also certain Blue Buffalo brand pet foods have a recall for the same thing. Please repost and make sure all your doggie friends are aware of this!!!

Ditto what other people are saying about contact petsmart... I worked at a petstore and the only time i've seen moldy dry food is from improper handling and storage...
It will go from the manufacturing facility, transported to a wholesaler, transported from the wholesaler to the retail location... multiple points for the food to get damp and begin growing mold..

ITA... I purchased a bag of Ferret food from Petco once & it was moldy.. I used this brand before & since (just never from Petco again!) and have never had an issue so I do believe it was something outside of the manufacturing.