If someone made a mistake do they have to honor it?

I remember Eluxury did this once. It was a price problem on a scarf. A few girls on another forum I'm in screen shot a picture of it. I think one ordered it at the cheap price, and elux was going to charge them the real price of the scarf..

I think the retail establishment would have to give you the option of buying the item at the stated price, but I don't know that they'd have to honor the price if it were an error.

That Gucci SA actually ripped the belt out of your hands??? That would be the LAST time I ever visited a Gucci store!!

BrodiesLVMama said:
Well, I was looking for a gift in an online jewelry store when I came across a white gold 2 carat diamond bracelet marked at 2.00. When I put 100 of them in the cart and advanced to see if it would fix the price, my sub total came to 200.00 and shipping is free so my grand total is 200.00. When I proceeded after that, it takes me to the credit card part and asks for the 200.00 payment. I read their entire site, no disclaimers about price, no nothing that I could find on Google or Ask. My DH works for a retail chaina nd he told me that they are legally bound to honor something that has a price tag attached to it for the price on the tag but not if it isn't affixed to the actual item so I was just wondering.

i believe they are legally bound to honor it. i remember not to long ago an airline had e-tickets to france listed for 20 dollars round trip and they had to honor it.

Well, the wrote to me thanking me for letting them know about the error before it caused any problems. Apparently I am the only one who noticed the error. Do you think they'd give me a discount on the item I bought or free shipping or something? NO Oh well, for a while I was in retail management and I was a customer satifaction nut. I hated to argue with customers over discounts, etc so I always gave them what they wanted to shut them up and keep them coming back. I always operated under "the customer is always right" theory. The owners didn't always like it but I always had plenty of return customers who always praised the store and me.

vanojr9 said:
I think the retail establishment would have to give you the option of buying the item at the stated price, but I don't know that they'd have to honor the price if it were an error.

That Gucci SA actually ripped the belt out of your hands??? That would be the LAST time I ever visited a Gucci store!!

Gucci SAs are known for bad service :whistle:

It depends on the state you live in. It doesn't matter here whether the price is attached or not, and while they might honor the price once for good customer relations, they won't let you buy them out. They'll yank it off the shelves first, and I've seen it happen.

BrodiesLVMama said:
My DH works for a retail chaina nd he told me that they are legally bound to honor something that has a price tag attached to it for the price on the tag but not if it isn't affixed to the actual item so I was just wondering.

I'm not sure what the official policy is.

Some stores honor the price error, then change it as quickly as possible - I was at Best Buy once to get some computer pieces for my DH, and they had Western Digital hard drives selling for only $15! (They're usually well over a hundred), I grabbed a couple and I think since I got a female clerk, she didn't raise any eyebrows... that was an awesome deal.

But other times, where Amazon has had price errors for my DVDs, they cancelled my order. Similar to the poster with the Gucci belt, once even when I was buying sushi and the clerk GRABBED the sushi from my hands and stuck a new sticker on it, saying, "I can't sell you sushi for $5!)...

Who knows what the official rule is?!

I think in actual retail stores, they will usually honour the price. Electronic stores like futureshop/best buy will honour these price "mis-prices" until their store manager is aware of the situation.

However, online is totally different. I guess it comes down to company policy, but technically, until you pay and they ship it out, they can just cancel your order. Same as tweetie, that happened to me on Amazon but they just cancelled it without notice!

I think it really depends on the stores. I bought a pair of Adidas online and it turned out that the price listed was a mistake - which I couldn't tell! It was like $50/pair, by the time I told my friends and they checked the price had been corrected but Adidas still just charged me $50. I was buying DH a Tshirt at a store at Heathrow and the price tag on the package was different from the price they charged me, so I asked and they said it was a mistake. I told them there was a whole stack of the same Tshirt with that price, and if they'd honor that price. The sales girl hesitated for a few seconds and agreed to give me the lower price. But I think it was because there was a long line and she just didn't think it was worth the effort and time to argue with me.