If purchased a fake bag when auction ended, what to do next.. help

sweetee

Jan 17, 2007
The auction just ended, but I found out the bag might be fake ( authenticated and asked the seller to send more pictures, waiting..), what should I do next? I don't want to pay for the item.

unfortunately, your bid is a binding contract between you & the seller..

why didn't you have the bag authenticated before you placed your bid?

you could ask the seller for a mutual cancellation, but they may not agree..

or you could choose not to pay and then you will have a NPB strike against you..

and why do you think the bag is fake?? can you post a link to the auction?

unfortunately, your bid is a binding contract between you & the seller..

why didn't you have the bag authenticated before you placed your bid?

you could ask the seller for a mutual cancellation, but they may not agree..

or you could choose not to pay and then you will have a NPB strike against you..

and why do you think the bag is fake?? can you post a link to the auction?

Yes, it was my mistake. And I thought I was correct, but it was an vintage item. I was waiting for authentification, and I just got a reply here this morning. But, I have asked the seller to send me more pictures for further confirmation.

I don't want to pay now if it is not authentic, then I'll have to call my credit company and file a case.

I can't post the link until proven later.

By the way, thank you for your reply.

if the bag is deemed not to be authentic, would try to mutual cancellation..

hope for the best.. your seller may be very annoyed & rightfully so, but

see how it all pans out.. keep us posted

Yes, it was my mistake. And I thought I was correct, but it was an vintage item. I was waiting for authentification, and I just got a reply here this morning. But, I have asked the seller to send me more pictures for further confirmation.

I don't want to pay now if it is not authentic, then I'll have to call my credit company and file a case.

I can't post the link until proven later.

By the way, thank you for your reply.

Ideally you would have had the bag authenticated before you bid but you already know that. And don't feel too badly, you aren't the first to make that mistake and you probably won't do it again.

If there are doubts, I wouldn't pay for the bag until you are satisfied it is authentic. This may annoy the seller and she may decide she doesn't want to sell it to you. Or not. The worst thing that can happen to you is to have a NPB strike which isn't a big deal if it is a one-time occurrance. And the least of all the evils IMO.

you are welcome... but there is no reason to buy a "fake" bag...

it is better to cut your losses while you are ahead of the game...IMO

perhaps your seller will agree to a mutual... that would certainly help

you out & you should rememeber to ask all the Q's before you place your

bid... it takes all that unnecessary tension away... and believe

me at the end of the day to have a NPB strike against you is not the

end of the world... it happens...

Last edited:
Not saying this is the case with the OP, but I imagine that for some, the risk of letting an HG get away outweighs the risk of getting a fake. With a BIN, there is a sense of urgency, I would imagine.

But maybe I'm talking out of my arse, since I've never purchased a bag on eBay. :P

sweetee, I saw the bag in question and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the seller gets back to you with more pictures, particularly the serial number. Good luck!

Ideally you would have had the bag authenticated before you bid but you already know that. And don't feel too badly, you aren't the first to make that mistake and you probably won't do it again.

If there are doubts, I wouldn't pay for the bag until you are satisfied it is authentic. This may annoy the seller and she may decide she doesn't want to sell it to you. Or not. The worst thing that can happen to you is to have a NPB strike which isn't a big deal if it is a one-time occurrance. And the least of all the evils IMO.

northerndancer,

Yes, you are right. I'm not only a buyer, but I do sell my stuff occassionally online. I'm a honest seller and a fast pay buyer, so I normally do not expect things like this. I don't worry anout a strike, intead, I do worry about a seller being frantic.;)

Thank you for your input and time.

you are welcome... but there is no reason to buy a "fake" bag...

it is better to cut your losses while you are ahead of the game...IMO

perhaps your seller will agree to a mutual... that would certainly help

you out & you should rememeber to ask all the Q's before you place your

bid... it takes all that unnecessary tension away... and believe

me at the end of the day to have a NPB strike against you is not the

end of the world... it happens...

hotshot,

Yes, I will remember next time.

I even thought about paying the seller the listing fee for the loss, but it will not be right if it is not authentic.

Thank you.:smile:

Not saying this is the case with the OP, but I imagine that for some, the risk of letting an HG get away outweighs the risk of getting a fake. With a BIN, there is a sense of urgency, I would imagine.

But maybe I'm talking out of my arse, since I've never purchased a bag on eBay. :P

sweetee, I saw the bag in question and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the seller gets back to you with more pictures, particularly the serial number. Good luck!

Mixedbag,

Yes, I do hope that the seller is sincere with the sale and the pictures. I did see some signs of it's being authentic, but I just wasn't 100% sure since it is a vintage.

Thank you so much.:smile:

Is it a Chanel bag? Maybe the additional pictures will help with authenticity, but so far, it looks like it wasn't confirmed as fake yet.

Hopefully, the seller will send the serial number and authenticity can be determined one way or another.

In the meantime, you have 4 days to pay so you do have time to wait for confirmation about the bag.

And if the bag proves to be fake and the seller is stubborn, you can report the bag and once the listing is removed, you won't be obligated to pay for it.

My concern with a mutual is that even if fake, the seller might relist.

Is it a Chanel bag? Maybe the additional pictures will help with authenticity, but so far, it looks like it wasn't confirmed as fake yet.

Hopefully, the seller will send the serial number and authenticity can be determined one way or another.

In the meantime, you have 4 days to pay so you do have time to wait for confirmation about the bag.

And if the bag proves to be fake and the seller is stubborn, you can report the bag and once the listing is removed, you won't be obligated to pay for it.

My concern with a mutual is that even if fake, the seller might relist.

BeenBurned,

Whenever I purchased somethinge from eBay, I always paid immediately inrespect to the seller.

Yes, I do not want to see fake bags on ebay.

Thank you for your input.:smile:

^^^ I was hoping you'd held off paying.

See what happens with further pics.

BeenBurned,

I almost paid last night, but after I submitted the payment, the status stated "unclaimed". I just cancelled the transaction and sent a message to the seller asking about his/her Paypal account. (I was lucky!) And after the bag got authenticated here this morning, I sent the seller a message right away. I asked the seller to email me more pictures to further proven the bag. If the bag is authentic, I will pay immediately. However, if the bag is indeed fake, I do not want it, and I will report to eBay. I'm still waiting for the pictures.