If money was no issue, would you buy all you wanted and not lust after bags anymore?

beggarbaby

why not?
O.G.
Jul 28, 2010
If you actually had all the money you needed to buy whatever bags you wanted, would you eventually have all the bags you want and want no more? Is ther an endpoint to bag obsession?

And I wonder if we would really eventually actually be happy with our collections if we could have anything. Or would we still want more more more? If you sat down and made a list of all the bags you wanted, how long would that list be and how fast does it grow? It seems like if you end up with 50 bags or something, you'd start to lose track and have very similar bags. And at that point, speaking as an average person, you wouldn't even be able to wear all of them out - people would judge you for having 50 bags! Isn't that also a constraint on how much and what we actually buy? That others will think certain things... Maybe if you could afford that, then you wouldn't care either way. But I think you would.

Are we all trying to achieve our "perfect" collections or is it something else that drives our bag lust?? Sometimes when a bag gets stuck in my head, I wonder if it's really that I want that bag so much or is what I really want to be able to afford that bag...

A huge part of bag lust seems to hinge on price comparison and figuring out how to afford them, so if that was no issue, would the buying process be less exciting / painful? So in that sense would have enough money be a bad thing?

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I have pretty much decided that I only want one more bag for a really long time...a black bag. I hate changing bags so I just want enough to have one that goes with every outfit (not one for each outfit but one that goes with every outfit). I want a Bottega Veneta but I haven't decided which bag and I probably won't buy it for a while because A) we just signed a contract to finish our basement and B) I am not in love with any of the current black choices.

Interesting question; I think my bag obsession would actually subside, if I had all the money in the world to get what I wanted. While I love collecting, I've also reached the point in the past where I had WAY too many, and I sold a TON, and felt much better afterwards. So I think there may be a culmination point for many of us...but only if we stop looking -- i.e, there is always going to be another amazing bag from another amazing designer for another amazing season, etc! :smile:

If I had all the money in the world, I don't think that I would just keep buying bags all the time. That just seems wasteful to me. I never want to be at a point where I don't use all of my bags, and if I just kept buying bags, I would eventually get to that point. I would probably limit myself to about 20-25 really great bags, like some exotics and custom Birkin's.

beggarbaby This is such a fabulous question!!! My father used to ask me this question on life. It was his way of testing me. From what I learned, my so called need for the bag of my dreams would stop. Part of the lust is the desire to achieve. Think of it in terms of a hunt. Hunting down that prey until you finally catch it. I believe the excitement comes from the want. I truly think if money was no factor and I was able to buy any number of things I wanted that the desire would dissipate. I have found in very very affluent families, the woman has a dozen handbags at most and, if she is fashionable, her wardrobe and jewelry is refined and takes center stage.

I think for a lot of us here, handbags are like a hobby. For some men it's watches, pocket knives and cars. Again, for me, if I was able to have as many bags as I wanted, I think after a while the "want" would stop. :smile:

If you actually had all the money you needed to buy whatever bags you wanted, would you eventually have all the bags you want and want no more? Is ther an endpoint to bag obsession?

And I wonder if we would really eventually actually be happy with our collections if we could have anything. Or would we still want more more more? If you sat down and made a list of all the bags you wanted, how long would that list be and how fast does it grow? It seems like if you end up with 50 bags or something, you'd start to lose track and have very similar bags. And at that point, speaking as an average person, you wouldn't even be able to wear all of them out - people would judge you for having 50 bags! Isn't that also a constraint on how much and what we actually buy? That others will think certain things... Maybe if you could afford that, then you wouldn't care either way. But I think you would.

Are we all trying to achieve our "perfect" collections or is it something else that drives our bag lust?? Sometimes when a bag gets stuck in my head, I wonder if it's really that I want that bag so much or is what I really want to be able to afford that bag...

A huge part of bag lust seems to hinge on price comparison and figuring out how to afford them, so if that was no issue, would the buying process be less exciting / painful? So in that sense would have enough money be a bad thing?

No I really don't think that I would just go out and buy a bunch of bags. The waiting and saving the $ for a bag makes it fun... the bag means more to me that way. So I really think that even if I had enough $$$ to buy all of the bags I want, I would still limit myself. There are other things I would be spending all that money on.

I have always loved bags, and bought the nicest bags I could afford, while trying for a nice variety of bags to wear.
So I don't think my love for bags would stop because there would always be new bags coming out that I would want.

When I was younger and went out more often, I liked to dress up more and I wanted to have shoes to match or coordinate with my dress/outfit, and bags are an accessory to clothing in the same way.

I think at first I'd go a little nuts but eventually I would get bored, give most of them away and find some new way to challenge myself. ...cause really it's the challenge that makes it worthwhile.

It would be great at first but I guess takes away some level of thrill and excitement of saving and choosing for a 'must have' bag if u can easily afford everything. To me personally( my own feelings) I enjoy saving and getting one or two as reward each time I feel like getting a bag, that gives me the satisfaction and appreciation to the item. And the trill of going through TPF in search of a bag is so wonderful. Lol my two cents.

No I really don't think that I would just go out and buy a bunch of bags. The waiting and saving the $ for a bag makes it fun... the bag means more to me that way. So I really think that even if I had enough $$$ to buy all of the bags I want, I would still limit myself. There are other things I would be spending all that money on.
AshTx! Totally agree with u! Just read the posts after penning down my opinion! Lol.

At one point in my life, I bought a lot of bags. I ended up selling them all except for one or two favorites.

I have always wanted a LV bag. A speedy. Whenever I have the money saved up or the opportunity to buy one, I can never justify buying one. I'm so afraid I'll never use it. The thing is, I STILL want a speedy REALLY BAD, but when it comes down to it, I'm not entirely sure if I do. I struggle with that one particular purchase A LOT. It's the one bag that every time I walk away from, I think about all the time. Usually when I pick up a bag and put it back, I tell myself that if I'm thinking about it the next day I'll go get it. 99% of the time, I never think about the bag again....the Speedy is cursed I'm tellin ya!

Part of the fun for me is finding a great deal on a bag that I like. I'm fortunate enough that if I truly wanted a bag, I could afford to buy it at full retail, but I just refuse to do that out of principle. I realize that this makes certain bags impossible for me to buy first hand, but I'm ok with that.

I would only extend my collection by 5-6 bags at the most. i think that I would be done after that. Probably would get rid of 4-6 current bags. Then the thrill would be gone

There's only one bag I really want, so if money weren't an issue, I'd probably get it, eh? :smile: I'd also, likely, upgrade my black satchel (quality wise to one that will last longer) and perhaps add a blue one. I'm really past wanting all the bags. I want a lovely, edited group of bags I really like and actually use.

Last edited: