If money was no issue, would you buy all you wanted and not lust after bags anymore?

beggarbaby This is such a fabulous question!!! My father used to ask me this question on life. It was his way of testing me. From what I learned, my so called need for the bag of my dreams would stop. Part of the lust is the desire to achieve. Think of it in terms of a hunt. Hunting down that prey until you finally catch it. I believe the excitement comes from the want. I truly think if money was no factor and I was able to buy any number of things I wanted that the desire would dissipate. I have found in very very affluent families, the woman has a dozen handbags at most and, if she is fashionable, her wardrobe and jewelry is refined and takes center stage.

I think for a lot of us here, handbags are like a hobby. For some men it's watches, pocket knives and cars. Again, for me, if I was able to have as many bags as I wanted, I think after a while the "want" would stop. :smile:

This. I actually think it would be healthy for more people to be able to own anything they wanted. Because once a person can have anything they desire, they find they don't desire as much in terms of material goods. I think too many people use material things as a distraction from things that matter, but once the "thrill" and the "chase" is gone, then those thing don't matter as much. And although this is a pipe dream and entirely unachievable, I sometimes wonder what people would do if there were no such thing as status or material wealth - if everyone had the capacity to own everything. Sadly, instead of focusing on what matters (PEOPLE), I think many people would simply try to find the next thing that would make them "important" or a "step above".

I'm as guilty as the next person, but sometimes I really despise my own desires to obtain what are essentially worthless material objects. There are things that are a lot more important that we could all be spending our time on and yet here we are on tPF (I just had a death in the family, so please excuse my - temporary - desire not to shallowly obsess).

Interesting question; I think my bag obsession would actually subside, if I had all the money in the world to get what I wanted. While I love collecting, I've also reached the point in the past where I had WAY too many, and I sold a TON, and felt much better afterwards. So I think there may be a culmination point for many of us...but only if we stop looking -- i.e, there is always going to be another amazing bag from another amazing designer for another amazing season, etc! :smile:
I agree 100%!
There is alaways a lovely bag coming out...
I am addicted to bags, anyway. But I am trying to be more reasonable.
For example I refuse to pay more than $700, now...
I have some very expensive bags which I daren't carry.....because I am afraid of ruining them in the rain or being mugged...
My sister while going shopping...realized someone had tried to cut her Kelly's handleand, fortunately didn't succeed....

My sister while going shopping...realized someone had tried to cut her Kelly's handleand, fortunately didn't succeed....

Good grief! :wtf:

Interesting question. When I was in my 20s and always flat-broke I used to look in the windows of fancy clothing stores with the most incredible awe. I didn't think I would ever at any time in my life be able to afford such beautiful clothes. They seemed almost magical to me.

Years later, when I became professionally successful and could afford terrific clothes, my reaction to them was "eh!" They no longer held any allure. Maybe it was because by then I had moved beyond the acquisition phase of life, or because the big fashion houses like Dior had changed hands so many times and moved from finely-tailored silk dresses and suits to little beyond licensing entities with clothing about which I said "eh!" Maybe it was because my priorities had changed in life. Or maybe it really was because I could afford such things they no longer held interest or magic for me. I really don't know. These days when I travel I have no interest in shopping or even window-shopping.

There are no purses I want at the moment, and there haven't been for several years, although I still love to admire what others buy. ;)

If money were no object I would still lust after bags, because for me it is not about the money..though I would immediately buy a Birkin. I have to manage my tendency to hoard.... And I would still feel like I needed to limit myself to a certain number of bags just because I couldn't live with a room full of bags. There are always new and different bags appearing on the scene. And as long as Marc Jacobs continues to collaborate with new artists, I will be on the hook to LOuie.

I agree 100%!
There is alaways a lovely bag coming out...
I am addicted to bags, anyway. But I am trying to be more reasonable.
For example I refuse to pay more than $700, now...
I have some very expensive bags which I daren't carry.....because I am afraid of ruining them in the rain or being mugged...

I'm addicted to bags, too...trying to curb myself...

Someone tried to cut your sister's Kelly handle?????!!!!!!!!

I'm addicted to bags, too...trying to curb myself...

Someone tried to cut your sister's Kelly handle?????!!!!!!!!
Yes! She was at the counter, paying for stamps she had just bought. She had put the bag on a small shelf, she took out her wallet....and realized when she came out of the shop that her handle had been cut on one side....

As long as they keep making more styles, I will always be seeing something else I want. It's not like every bag that will ever exist is out now and I can go buy them all. New designs come out all the time... and I'm sure I will keep finding more & more that I like.

Yes! She was at the counter, paying for stamps she had just bought. She had put the bag on a small shelf, she took out her wallet....and realized when she came out of the shop that her handle had been cut on one side....

That is honestly HORRIBLE. I'm so glad that the burglar did not get away with it. Was she able to repair the handle? I hope so! People are unbelievable.

I don't want to be a hypocrite! But if money weren't the object, I would really buy all the bags I want. :yahoo:

Actually, I made this "DREAMLIST" a couple of months ago and promised myself that I would only need to get these 15 bags and then end collecting. :angel:

I LIED!!! :faint: I really do love BAGS!!! :drool:

Every time I get one from my dreamlist, I can't stop myself from browsing for a new one. If I had unlimited money, or this magical "SHOP ALL YOU WANT" card, I really would shop without hesitation. :woot:

I know the feeling of blissfulness, when you've bought your dream bag by working your *** off. Because, it's a reward for my hard work. :cloud9:

We work for money and these expensive bags aren’t for free. And this is what we need in order to take them home. And, to take care of these lovely, beautiful works of art and craftsmanship. :heart:

This. I actually think it would be healthy for more people to be able to own anything they wanted. Because once a person can have anything they desire, they find they don't desire as much in terms of material goods. I think too many people use material things as a distraction from things that matter, but once the "thrill" and the "chase" is gone, then those thing don't matter as much. And although this is a pipe dream and entirely unachievable, I sometimes wonder what people would do if there were no such thing as status or material wealth - if everyone had the capacity to own everything. Sadly, instead of focusing on what matters (PEOPLE), I think many people would simply try to find the next thing that would make them "important" or a "step above".

I'm as guilty as the next person, but sometimes I really despise my own desires to obtain what are essentially worthless material objects. There are things that are a lot more important that we could all be spending our time on and yet here we are on tPF (I just had a death in the family, so please excuse my - temporary - desire not to shallowly obsess).

All good points. I am really sorry about your recent death in the family.

I don't change bags to "match" my outfits so I don't really want alot, if I had unlimited $$$ I would probably get a handful or two of different styles/designers, but for sure not all at once (unless of course they were on sale !) I would rather take my daughters purse shopping (and maybe pick up a little something for myself.....) !!:graucho: And, I for sure would not buy a $35,000.00 handbag.

So sorry for your loss, HauteMama.

Thanks for asking this question, OP.

I was honestly wondering about something along the same lines. I love looking at the Bag Showcases (bag p*rn is soo much fun). However, some threads get me thinking, would I have so many bags if I could afford to? Looking at my collection, which includes premier, designer and even no name pieces, I have to say that I have realized that there is only room for one or two more pieces. After that, it just wouldn't make sense anymore.

I'm using a bag today that I have not seen in about 6 months. This, despite the fact that I rotate bags every week (though sometimes, I might use a bag for 2 weeks at a time). I was literally thinking "This makes no sense! Why spend all that money on bags and hardly use them?" I can't change bags every other day - well, I could, but at this point in my life, it would be too much work.

Besides, I spent the other day cleaning, conditioning and protecting bags and had to reorganize my little walk in closet just to accommodate my babies. Its already becoming too much work :P

Oh well, I say all this now, but who knows where my collection will be 6 months from now? All I know is that I have now committed to increasing the number of SLG and jewelry I have. Not clothes or shoes, however. Got enough of those too.

Figure my bag collection is okay, so its time to obsess on something else, lol!

Aluxe said:
So sorry for your loss, HauteMama.

Thanks for asking this question, OP.

I was honestly wondering about something along the same lines. I love looking at the Bag Showcases (bag p*rn is soo much fun). However, some threads get me thinking, would I have so many bags if I could afford to? Looking at my collection, which includes premier, designer and even no name pieces, I have to say that I have realized that there is only room for one or two more pieces. After that, it just wouldn't make sense anymore.

I'm using a bag today that I have not seen in about 6 months. This, despite the fact that I rotate bags every week (though sometimes, I might use a bag for 2 weeks at a time). I was literally thinking "This makes no sense! Why spend all that money on bags and hardly use them?" I can't change bags every other day - well, I could, but at this point in my life, it would be too much work.

Besides, I spent the other day cleaning, conditioning and protecting bags and had to reorganize my little walk in closet just to accommodate my babies. Its already becoming too much work :P

Oh well, I say all this now, but who knows where my collection will be 6 months from now? All I know is that I have now committed to increasing the number of SLG and jewelry I have. Not clothes or shoes, however. Got enough of those too.

Figure my bag collection is okay, so its time to obsess on something else, lol!

I agree with HauteMama and Aluxe. When I am considering buying a new piece I go back and forth with practicality and luxury. I recently purchase a Gucci Jackie O knowing that it won't be used as often as, say my Michael Kors etc. though the value will increase once it gets handed down the generations (fingers x'd). this is not to say that I don't use my Gucci, Fendi peekaboo, or my sal ferragammo, I break them in slowly and don't use them on errand days until they are broken in (I.e. I am used to wearing them, like a new pair of shoes.

I have also narrowed down changing between bags to a science. I use the little wristlets like coach has, one for girl things, one for nail file, dental floss, toothbrush etc. etc.

thanks for listening!