If it's not a "Not a Plastic bag", what do you carry your groceries in?

I am working on knitting myself a recycled plastic carry-all:

dkng105_2ca_e.jpg

WOW, Jillion Dollars! I LOVE that bag. How fast is your knitting skill? I think you could definitely sell that to a few TPF readers. I'd be first in the queue.
Seriously. Love it. How much?
(PS. Don't know about the handle. I think you could improve on that with maybe a knitted plastic bag one. More comfortable?)

WOW, Jillion Dollars! I LOVE that bag. How fast is your knitting skill? I think you could definitely sell that to a few TPF readers. I'd be first in the queue.
Seriously. Love it. How much?
(PS. Don't know about the handle. I think you could improve on that with maybe a knitted plastic bag one. More comfortable?)

My plan for the handle was actually to have a thick plastic strap that extends from the sides of the bags. I was going to have it be knit from the same piece as the sides of the bags but then I realized that joining it would be better since then if the handle broke, I could cut it off and re-do the handle without unraveling the entire sides. Still up in the air a bit, though since I am still working on the large side panels (mine should be much bigger than the one in the picture). I have thought before about doing more and putting them on Etsy or something (I think I have modified their pattern enough to make it my own) but time constraints are going to make it difficult. I am usually a pretty fast knitter but tying the plastic together securely takes time and plastic is much slower going than thread. If I ever finish, I will definitely post pics for feedback.

I hate to admit it, but I just use the plastic bags from the store. I do find many ways to reuse my plastic bags (as well as paper shopping bags from clothing stores).

Same here, I re use then for the kids indoor shoes for school ( keep the inside of their backpack clean)
I use them to line small garbage tins around the house( ie bathroom/bedroom)

I either use my Longchamp Pliage (big size) if i have it with me or one of these nylon bags you can fold together really small so that they fit into any pocket; you can buy them in Germany at the "Rossmann" drugstores for about $ 2.00 and I have three of them, strategically placed in three of my most used bags. The bags look very nice and "discreet", with no label or writing on them and they come in dark brown, brown, black and olive.
Regina :tup:

I am working on knitting myself a recycled plastic carry-all (as shown on Knitty Gritty on the DIY network). It is made by cutting old plastic bags (that I couldn't bear to throw out knowing I shouldn't have had them in the first place) into small strips then tying them together and knitting them up. An example of the finished product as shown on the DIY website:

dkng105_2ca_e.jpg

This bag ist terrific!!! You should make more of them, sell them all and then you can buy even more bags for yourself; also a kind of bag recycling...
Regina
;)

I have the resuable bags purchased from the grocery stores I frequent -- Trader Joe's and Wegman's. They hold a lot and I just throw them back in the car to have with me. Costco is also selling HUGE reusable bags (3 for $5 as I recall) that have two sets of handles (shoulder and hand) and weigh nothing empty. Much better than odd sized boxes for Costco purchases.

I don't think anything annoys me like a plastic bag with one item in it (unless it's raw meat).

I still unfortunately use the plastics as well, but I use some as trashbags and return the rest to the recycling bin for these bags that is set up outside many of the grocery store locations.

I use a couple different reuseable totes, but I still get plastic bags sometimes. I recycle them by taking them back to the store, and I also use them as trashbags. I haven't bought trashbags since....can't remember when.

I use plastic bags as well. I buy too many groceries to bring the bags with me. That would be like 12 bags. I do re-use all the bags though. To line the small trash cans in our house, and to clean up after my dog on walks and in the yard.

I reuse or recycle the plastic bags.

I find it highly ironic that the "I'm Not A Plastic Bag" bags are made in China, a country with one of the worst environmental records around.

i still use plastic bag sometimes, because the groceries store here still use plastic bags. and i don't feel like putting groceries like cold meat and eggs into my big bag. but when i shop for clothings or other dairies stuff, i carry a big bag besides my handbag, so i can put all the things in there instead of the bags from the shops.

i did get this amazingly gigantic gorgeous tote from whole foods in kensington to put groceries in but it has become my de facto rock climbing bag because it holds everything i need.

i did buy a foldable cloth bag from sainsbury's which promptly broke two days after i purchased it.

so i mostly just stick to plastic bags from the stores. but i reuse them to throw out my rubbish

I find it highly ironic that the "I'm Not A Plastic Bag" bags are made in China, a country with one of the worst environmental records around.
ITA, it's a little hypocritical

My "I'm not a plastic bag" was ruined in 3 going-outs, one handle got untied))), and I wasn't using it or groceries, just to go to very ordinary places where I felt my leather designer bags would be a waiste))) So, plastic bags. If you have no issues of return on investment on a bag like I do (personal craziness))), I would suggest longchamps' la pilage bags, they last like forever...

I just bought Baggus in lots of fun colors. They are made of nylon so they fold up really small, could fit in the pack pocket of jeans. I got a couple compliments on them when I went to the farmers market. I used to use a canvas tote, but it took up too much room in my purse.