If I get invited to one more Pampered Chef/Silpada/"romantic" toy party...

bellafleur

O.G.
Apr 26, 2007
...I'm going to scream! I've been noticing an increase in these tupperware-style parties, where friends and co-workers try to obligate you to buy stuff you don't really want so they can make a few bucks on the side. And lately, they're not even hosting actual parties, instead they're just bringing the catalogs to work! I know times are tough, and I apologize to anyone who hosts these parties and relies on them for income... but I really can't stand these parties! I feel bad having to decline, but I still haven't used the apple peeler-jobby-thing I was talked into buying at your last pampered chef party, and I really don't need any more elaborate seed bead necklaces, thank you. Am I the only one who feels this way? How to bow out gracefully?:sad:

I always thought they were really tacky. I'm not at the age that I'd get invited to anything but the "romantic" ones (I'm 22), but my mom has gotten invited to a lot over the years and she feels the same way. The fake purse ones are the worst.

hahaha!! my mom asked me about her starting to sell tupperware...i told her i thought it would be a waste of time. she wanted to do it because other ladies at her church were doing it. but sheeesh...when there are 5 "parties" in a month, do they actually think that people are going to buy something at every "party"??

**oh and there are only a certain number of ladies that attend all the parties...so the same ladies, the same products...not a good selling market.

Last edited:
I never feel obligated to buy. The Pampered Chef ones where they make the food are fun. I like Pampered Chef products but I am not sucked in easily if it is something I really don't need. I'll go but like I said I never feel obligated to buy anything. Every product is not for everyone.

Here here!

I think it is very tacky to invite friends to "social" events where sales benefiting the host are an element. I often hear people insist that there is no pressure to buy, but if you are attending a party held on a merchandise theme where you know a friend is making a profit, of course you are forced to make a publicly visible decision to support or not support the venture. Charity gatherings are obviously different, as the host is not promoting a personal commercial gain.

I decline these parties as a rule. I think it's gauche, and usually a rip-off. I have been to Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, PartyLite candles...people aren't even exploiting me for good merchandise at a good price, they're mooching me for crud! :P

Ok, now I feel better!:smile: I could have been a lot more harsh, but I didn't know if there were a lot of tPFers who host these parties. I was invited to one this week, and all the girls from the office are making a night of it, going to eat after work, then going to the party. I'm like, how is this fun?? I barely like talking to you when I'm at work, now you want to charge me to hang out with you outside of work? I'm trying to save for a vacation and my wedding, and if I'm going to spend any of my hard-earned money on superfluous things, it'll be at Sak's, not in someone's living room!

Lately all of my friends have been hosting Arbonne parties - they'll all book a party off each other, so they all benefit (one gets points for a booking and the other gets $100 in products for $20 for having the party). It is a never ending cycle and the products are not even that nice (and definitely not all natural like they claim).

I do wear Mary Kay products, but do not go to parties - I go to my consultant.

ughhhhhhhhh i can't relate to being invited to a ton all the time, but the last one i went to was partylite... that stuff is RIDICULOUSLY expensive... talk about HUGE pressure to buy something. the consultant is constantly asking you which items you like.... where it would look good in your home....

this was part of the conversation.. "out of all of these items (on display) what do you like best?" i said "well honestly, i can't have any of that stuff because i have 4 cats and they'll knock it over" the consultant: "there's no where that you can put it up high so that they can't reach it?" me: "nope, they can get anywhere"

and then she STILL kept pressuring me to say what i liked, so it was some super expensive thing and i kinda pointed at it and she asked me what it was called. and i said "i don't know....." and then she said what it was and asked ME what the price was... i said "i don't really remember but i know it was expensive" i think it was like $90 for this candle holder reflextion thing. so then she says "what if i told you that you could get it for half price??" and i said "thats still too expensive for me"

she probably thought i was a total fun killer. but really.... reed diffusers were $40 at the cheapest.... i've since bought some that were just as nice, if not nicer for $10.

but i love pamper chef parties, especially when there's food! but i haven't been to one in like 3 or 4 years. my friends just don't hold these types of parties because they think they're all worthless as well.

Oh, and my favorite- the last time I went to a sex toy party for someone's bachelorette party, all of our e-mail addresses were given to the host, who was actually not one of our friends. So probably once a week, I was getting e-mails about new sex toys and how I could host my own party, etc., until I finally figured out how to block her. Madness!!

ughhhhhhhhh i can't relate to being invited to a ton all the time, but the last one i went to was partylite... that stuff is RIDICULOUSLY expensive... talk about HUGE pressure to buy something. the consultant is constantly asking you which items you like.... where it would look good in your home....

this was part of the conversation.. "out of all of these items (on display) what do you like best?" i said "well honestly, i can't have any of that stuff because i have 4 cats and they'll knock it over" the consultant: "there's no where that you can put it up high so that they can't reach it?" me: "nope, they can get anywhere"

and then she STILL kept pressuring me to say what i liked, so it was some super expensive thing and i kinda pointed at it and she asked me what it was called. and i said "i don't know....." and then she said what it was and asked ME what the price was... i said "i don't really remember but i know it was expensive" i think it was like $90 for this candle holder reflextion thing. so then she says "what if i told you that you could get it for half price??" and i said "thats still too expensive for me"

she probably thought i was a total fun killer. but really.... reed diffusers were $40 at the cheapest.... i've since bought some that were just as nice, if not nicer for $10.

but i love pamper chef parties, especially when there's food! but i haven't been to one in like 3 or 4 years. my friends just don't hold these types of parties because they think they're all worthless as well.

:lol: LOL this post was too funny. I can't stand pushy sales people!

OP, you should never feel pressured to buy something, but I wouldn't attend the party if you know there is no chance in hell that you'll buy something. If you decide to go, go with an open mind, but just don't feel pressured and don't be afraid to say no. If your friend hosts a party and you would like to decline, just say, I'm sorry, but I can't make it, maybe we can meet for tea instead? Or something like that. If she asks why you can't make it, just make up some excuse that you're doing something else, or tell her you don't want to spend the money right now on things you already have too much of (but don't say you have too much for "romantic" toys haha).

arbonne parties are painful. my problem is, when I go to these (and thank the lord it's been ages since I have been to one) I usually say I won't buy a thing...then....5 cocktails later I have spent about $200. I HATE these parties!

Ugh, I hate those parties too!

My husband's family went through this cycle a couple of years ago where 2 of my SIL's hosted a jewelry or candle party every month! It was horrible!

The last one I went to was a pleasure party and I had another friend fake-call me to leave early!

...I'm going to scream! I've been noticing an increase in these tupperware-style parties, where friends and co-workers try to obligate you to buy stuff you don't really want so they can make a few bucks on the side. And lately, they're not even hosting actual parties, instead they're just bringing the catalogs to work! I know times are tough, and I apologize to anyone who hosts these parties and relies on them for income... but I really can't stand these parties! I feel bad having to decline, but I still haven't used the apple peeler-jobby-thing I was talked into buying at your last pampered chef party, and I really don't need any more elaborate seed bead necklaces, thank you. Am I the only one who feels this way? How to bow out gracefully?:sad:

Thank you so much for saying this. I was 'busy' the first couple of times they brought up the invitations to the parties; they got the hint.

This is one of those "damned if you do, and damned if you don't situations. I feel bad if i say no to a the friend hosting, but then I go and there is just no way I can let myself buy one more thing I will never use.

I know exactly how you feel. I refuse to go to these parties any more. I've started saying no (I especially love when I can respond electronically rather than having to call), & now my invites are decreasing. stay strong!!!