If I get invited to one more Pampered Chef/Silpada/"romantic" toy party...

Ok, now I feel better!:smile: I could have been a lot more harsh, but I didn't know if there were a lot of tPFers who host these parties. I was invited to one this week, and all the girls from the office are making a night of it, going to eat after work, then going to the party. I'm like, how is this fun?? I barely like talking to you when I'm at work, now you want to charge me to hang out with you outside of work? I'm trying to save for a vacation and my wedding, and if I'm going to spend any of my hard-earned money on superfluous things, it'll be at Sak's, not in someone's living room!

I'm with ginag. I'm always "busy" for these sorts of things. My "busy" excuse extends to baby showers as well, if it's people I barely interact with. It's just so tacky.

Agree with what everyone else has said...I had to start turning them down because I was ending up with too much junk I never used. The worst was this woman we used to call The Crazy Southern Living Woman - if you went to a party where she was the rep, you could pretty much plan on being psycho-dialed for months afterward. Shudder...flashback...it was horrible.

Stay strong! It's hard, but these days people are pretty understanding of not wanting to spend unnecessarily. If all else fails, tell them that your disposable income is going into your home distributorship of ShamWows and SlapChops, would they be interested in hosting a party??? :graucho:

Oh, and my favorite- the last time I went to a sex toy party for someone's bachelorette party, all of our e-mail addresses were given to the host, who was actually not one of our friends. So probably once a week, I was getting e-mails about new sex toys and how I could host my own party, etc., until I finally figured out how to block her. Madness!!

The thing I loved about these parties is that the ladies went into another room to buy things so it would be 'discrete' - but then they would come out with a bag - some with a tiny bag (sented candles or something) and some with HUGE bags - mutliple vibrators anyone? :roflmfao:

You guys are so funny!:smile: I just had one of those days, and I needed to vent. I got invited to one of these parties the other day, and then got asked again about going today at work. And then yesterday my DF and I received a wedding invitation... from a couple neither of us has ever even heard of!! I called my mom to see if they were long lost relatives, and I even googled them and STILL neither of us recognized them! I was like, what the heck?? I finally posted it on my Facebook status to see if anyone would claim knowledge of said couple. Which came back to bite me in the butt, because it turned out to be a different co-worker's son getting married. Who I have never met, and honestly I didn't even know she had a son. And it's out of state. And she was upset with me for posting it on Facebook! Sheesh.

I feel really torn about these. I like my friends. I like supporting their endeavors. I like going over to their houses. But...

Why the heck are women with six-figure salaries hosting fake purse parties???? :confused1:

You guys are so funny!:smile: I just had one of those days, and I needed to vent. I got invited to one of these parties the other day, and then got asked again about going today at work. And then yesterday my DF and I received a wedding invitation... from a couple neither of us has ever even heard of!! I called my mom to see if they were long lost relatives, and I even googled them and STILL neither of us recognized them! I was like, what the heck?? I finally posted it on my Facebook status to see if anyone would claim knowledge of said couple. Which came back to bite me in the butt, because it turned out to be a different co-worker's son getting married. Who I have never met, and honestly I didn't even know she had a son. And it's out of state. And she was upset with me for posting it on Facebook! Sheesh.

ok - that's just weird!

I'm getting married in a few months and since we are paying for the entire wedding ourselves, we can barely afford the 60 people we have invited. As a result, we did not invite any coworkers, but I can't imagine asking my mom if she wanted to invite any of HER coworkers to MY wedding. Even if my parents were paying for the wedding, I wouldn't want her coworkers there!

As for the sale parties, I used to feel slightly obligated to go, but then I just started saying I couldn't make it. In the end, it's more time efficient (and saves me money!) to avoid the party altogether instead of wasting three hours at the lame party and then feeling like I have to pick at least one lame thing to buy.

If I'm going to buy something, I'd rather have the everything at the mall or on the internet to choose from instead of just a catalogue of stuff.

The last party I was invited to was some jewelry party. I looked at the website and it was all just hideous. I didn't feel guilty RSVPing a polite no thank you to that party!

I can relate! I've been invited to more candle, makeup, kitchen, etc. parties than I care to remember. I just take a deep breath and say "no thank you" without any explanation. It's much easier that way. I'm sure there will be a lot more of those parties breaking the surface because of the economy.

I have not been invited to one in a long time, but used to get invited to Pampered Chef all the time. It seemed like everyone of my friends hosted a party b/c one acquaintance became a rep. I hated those parties and bought stuff b/c I felt guilty, but honestly hate the products. The stoneware is terrible- heavy and does not even work properly. I'm glad I don't get invited anymore, now that I have moved out of that area. Oh- and the Lia Sophia parties- those were even worse. I ordered one necklace out of guilt and it was terrible quality, even for costume jewelry.

I am not a social person, so these parties kill me. My former supervisor used to have them and I felt like I had to go when she asked. I actually did buy a few pieces Pampered Chef stoneware and I like them, but I have no need for anything else. The last time I went to anything, it was a Southern Living party. I won one of the door prizes (a really ugly X-mas candle display), but didn't purchase anything. The sales rep kept suggesting items that I could use in my house (I really couldn't use them). As we were all getting ready to leave, the sales rep came up to me and asked why I didn't buy anything. I simply told her that I didn't want anything. She was quick to say, "You didn't have any problem taking a door prize that someone else had to pay for." I gave it back to her and told her to use it for her next party. Have not been to one since. And baby showers? Kill me, please...

I am not a social person, so these parties kill me. My former supervisor used to have them and I felt like I had to go when she asked. I actually did buy a few pieces Pampered Chef stoneware and I like them, but I have no need for anything else. The last time I went to anything, it was a Southern Living party. I won one of the door prizes (a really ugly X-mas candle display), but didn't purchase anything. The sales rep kept suggesting items that I could use in my house (I really couldn't use them). As we were all getting ready to leave, the sales rep came up to me and asked why I didn't buy anything. I simply told her that I didn't want anything. She was quick to say, "You didn't have any problem taking a door prize that someone else had to pay for." I gave it back to her and told her to use it for her next party. Have not been to one since. And baby showers? Kill me, please...

I can't believe she'd say that! I mean, I can, but still... wow. I would have given it back too. I'm with you on baby showers- I don't like baby showers at all. If it is someone I really like, I will send a gift, but if it is not someone I am very close to, I do not.

I hate those parties. I worked in an office with only women and I was asked everyday practically to go to a party or look at a catalog for pampered chef, premiere jewelry, arbonne, avon and whatever else people pushed on me. I really don't like people using my friendship as a way to get money or gifts. I was too nice to say "no" at first, but I learned my lesson and I refuse now...I don't care how close of a friend they are.

Last edited:
My friend's friend sells Lia Sophia and I went to one party to support my friend. Now, her friend bugs us both to have a party and she invites us constantly. I'm running out of excuses not to attend. On a side note, she is making really good money doing it.