If I can have only one automatic watch.....

Longines or Seiko automatic?

• Longines

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Seiko

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

foxgal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2010
Which would you choose between these two and why?

1) Longines 30 mm - love the classic, sportylook of the case and bracelet, but concerned about how much polished surface it has. Can get for a good deal but still much more expensive than the other option...

2) Seiko 34 mm - LOVE the dial, but don’t like that it’s on the bigger side (prefer 28-30 mm). Like how it looks a bit vintage but wonder if it would look dated in time. Can get MUCH cheaper, so more money for other things ;)

1259B4A2-70DA-4EEC-A5F0-3BA40F8A41B9.jpeg9CAEC60C-7179-4E6E-8DF3-62384EF0AC8B.jpeg

IMHO Longines is going to be a probably higher quality movement and watch overall. It looks like the Longines is a brushed finish and those have always worn nicely for me. However, I think you should get what you love! The 34mm of the Seiko is not drastically larger than a 30mm. Is there anywhere you could try them on locally and see what you fall in love with?

IMHO Longines is going to be a probably higher quality movement and watch overall. It looks like the Longines is a brushed finish and those have always worn nicely for me. However, I think you should get what you love! The 34mm of the Seiko is not drastically larger than a 30mm. Is there anywhere you could try them on locally and see what you fall in love with?

Sadly, no. I was thinking of waiting until after covid so I could travel to a place with dealers. But there is one left of the Longines at 40% off because it’s a discontinued model, and the AD sent me this picture.

45E6EC7B-9A80-4BCB-A765-22B08A8FC420.jpeg

So you can see it’s quite highly polished even though it doesn’t look it in the stock photo. I guess I could always get the links brushed if it bothered me.

My DH likes the Seiko, but mostly I think because it’s less expensive. Little does he realize it’ll cost more in the long run!

I like the bracelet on the Seiko and the sunburst dial. It seems little less casual than the Longines. Also, do you need lume or no? That seems to be missing on the Seiko. That's personally important for me, but something to consider for you aside from your own preference for white vs light blue.

I like the bracelet on the Seiko and the sunburst dial. It seems little less casual than the Longines. Also, do you need lume or no? That seems to be missing on the Seiko. That's personally important for me, but something to consider for you aside from your own preference for white vs light blue.

Yes, it’s the bracelet and the sunburst dial that just makes me swoon. In videos, the Seiko just mesmerizes in various lights while the Longines just looks flat. Lume isn’t an issue for me.

The Seiko is from their “cocktail time” collection and they have all colors of gorgeous dials.

Argh, I keep flip-flopping! I know the Longines is more classic (as in a Rolex-looking like) for a forever watch, but I feel like I would smile each time I looked at that Seiko dial.

More eye candy from the collection:

109BF537-7145-4FC4-B7A7-93652E1B40D7.jpeg

Thank you everyone who helped with this decision. My Longines Conquest Classic automatic 29.5 mm arrived a few hours ago and I’m in LOVE!

Pictures cannot do this dial justice...in varying light it goes from bright white to ice silver to buttercream, and from matte to pearly. It’s the perfect combination of sporty and classic and practical for me. And they must have known I’m a bag lover as this Le Pliage-esque tote and toiletry case was included:biggrin:

E85ADEEF-8BED-4505-A585-F4A744E3FBFC.jpegBBE0F6C6-C7EE-454D-9F32-B228F4CFF68F.jpeg

Thank you everyone who helped with this decision. My Longines Conquest Classic automatic 29.5 mm arrived a few hours ago and I’m in LOVE!

Pictures cannot do this dial justice...in varying light it goes from bright white to ice silver to buttercream, and from matte to pearly. It’s the perfect combination of sporty and classic and practical for me. And they must have known I’m a bag lover as this Le Pliage-esque tote and toiletry case was included:biggrin:

View attachment 4919752View attachment 4919753
Congratulations! You picked a winner, it’s a beauty!