If I can buy only one H bag, lindy or birkin? what color should I buy?

eewawa

Aug 11, 2007
Before you all H lovers give me your valuable suggestions, I need to tell you more about my situation.

I love small bags, I have few chanel bags in black (WOC, metallic eastwest & 2.55 in ghw) and dark brown (accordion), only one small picotin in ebene barenia.

I am going to Nice & Paris in Sep, I mentioned earlier in anothr thread I want a rouge garrance lindy30. recently, i just keep thinking if I should buy a birkin30 instead. I love lindy which allows me to carry on shoulder but with the strap it looks more causal. Given paying such a lot of money (at least for me it is quite a lot) for a bag, I want it to look a bit more elegant.

I am now struggling between lindy30 or birkin30. I have a thought that only if I see a lindy30 I really love at first sight in real life otherwise I should use my quota to order a speical birkin for myself.

So, let me make my questions simple:
1) do you think my idea above sounds great?
2) which one should i get? lindy or birkin?
3) if birkin, what color and leather should i get? (I want a color which is good in summer and winter and easy to maintain.)
4) if birkin, what is the price different if I want another color as lining?

Really thank you you all to read my long post, you can imagine how complicated my mind is right now. Thanks again.

Both are great bags and different in looks/function.

Two questions for you to think over are, "Is there any part inside you where you yearned to own a birkin? and "Will you have any regrets not purchasing a birkin after being there in Paris seeing birkins IRL and seeing owners w/birkins both IRL and through pics?":yes:

Leather-wise, do you like slouchy or non-slouchy leathers? Togo is a great workhorse leather. Epsom is a great non-slouchy leather but maybe not as a workhorse. For colours, which color family do you prefer? Grey? Brown? Or even red? Neutral colours like etoupe/gris tourterelle are both great for summer/winter.

While it's a good opportunity to get a birkin in Paris, if you still prefer the lindy, go for it.
mx8.gif
deciding!

Last edited:
1) and 2) It's a personal choice. You may or may not have options depending on the situation though. Either will be fine.
3) Etoupe (if you wear cool tones) or gold (if warm).
4) No difference in price; but to do a different colored lining you will need to place a special order (if they will permit this).

The birkin 30 to me is more versatile because it can look great with jeans or dressy. Some people stay away from box, but I love it because it refurbishes perfectly; is medium in weight and structured (full disclosure - I DIY and send to H for spa). I love dark bittersweet brown in all seasons. Definitely, research pics and opinions in reference section and try both on. I think the lindy reads as a big bag because it is wide.

Not to complicate matters, but you might want to try on the kelly too - can be slouchy or structured; has a shoulder strap.

Last edited:
Hi!

I think the Birkin is more versatile than the Lindy unless you want a bag with a shoulder strap.

I also like Fjord leather - it's very, very light! I don't know if it cones in gold but that seems like a good year-round color. Ditto for red (rouge vif)

I recently traded my grey swift Lindy 34 for a beautiful dark green Birkin 35 in box. For me, it was a no-brainer. Although the Lindy was my first H bag, it was awkward for me to carry. I could not shoulder carry it. It was nice in that it had outside pockets, but otherwise, it was too fussy for me in the end. I did purchase a 35 Kelly along the way and a 30 Birkin in gold VL with gold hardware. I have found this size to be perfect for me. The Lindy is such a verfsatile shape bag that it really kind of molds itself to whatever shape you need it to be. I find myself wanting a more structured bag. I am in love with the green Birkin and the box. I always was a little disappointed with the Lindy after I tried to use it the first few times. since I have sloping shoulders, carrying a shoulder bag is very difficult for me.
Your collection of Chanel is very versatile. I adore my accordion for summer; it's white and, that, for some reason, does sit on my shoulder for some reason.
Judy

Although the Lindy does not work for me, I ALWAYS find it stunning on others....!

Have you considered the Kelly ? It might be the right bag for you ... Classy, casual, elegant, versatile, handbag, shoulderbag, it has it all !

Although the Lindy does not work for me, I ALWAYS find it stunning on others....!

Have you considered the Kelly ? It might be the right bag for you ... Classy, casual, elegant, versatile, handbag, shoulderbag, it has it all !

ITA with this post exactly!!!

IFFAH,
Great questions for me. I keep thinking the answer for your first question and the answer is "Yes!!" I probably would regret if I don't do order one in Paris.

the answer of second question is it really depends on the style of bag. For birkin, i like it non-slouchy, for lindy, i like it slouchy. I am a stay at home mom and won't use my chanel and H bags very often. i rather it could keep its shape for long so I can pass it on.

I think i am not getting more black bags and H bag attracts me with its color, earth tone colors like etoupe and gold are easy to match but red seems a bit more speical... very hard to decide.

Pepper
After answered IFFAH's first question, I think I have another idea - try to order a birkin, if they don't take my order I go for Lindy.
I do wear both cool and warm tones.
Thanks god there is no price difference and I hope FSH takes my order!

"The birkin 30 to me is more versatile because it can look great with jeans or dressy." it is exactly what I think !! my local H stores dont do refurbuishment for bags, I probably would stay way from box too.
I am ealry 30 and seldom dress really really formal. Kelly looks a bit too formal but i think kelly pochette is cute.

park56
Fjord is new to me. I would definitely check this out in reference section. Thanks a lot!

BBL
Very nice to have you share your lindy experience! You know what! I have sloping shoulders too!! I was considering lindy because I need to take care of my 15mths baby boy and I can free my hands to carry him when needed. I later on find out I won't take him out alone by myself and someone would always be around esp I dress a bit nicer.

C37,
please also say thanks to your husband for me about his contribution!

perlerare & india,
Kelly, in my mind, is really formal but I seldom dress really formal. Maybe I should open my mind to take a look again in reference section. I do think kelly pochette is cute though.

eewawa, I suggest you look around at some of the action photos of ladies with Kellys. There are two different styles of Kelly actually, one that is more structured and one that is more casual. I have a very casual Kelly which I adore. A bright red souple/retourne 32cm or 28cm Kelly might be just the bag for you. You would be really surprised at how wonderful a Kelly looks with jeans. The detachable shoulder strap makes it very versatile. And Kellys are so classic that it will never go out of style and generations to come will enjoy it.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-clubhouse/go-kelly-go-89631.html

Have you considered the new smaller size lindy 26? The shoulder strap appears to be slighlty more narrow. I tried it in raisin, poitron, and venentian red. Loved it but indecisive at this point. This size looks better on me than the bigger ones. You'll might not be able to decide until you try them on. Yourself as a mom, have you thought about the weight factor? I get tired of my shoulder birkin and birkin 35. Lindy is definitely the lighter option.

McLoverly
Thanks for posting me the link. I truely agree with you Kelly is a great bag and looks really good with jeans too (needless to say it looks prefect with dress). I did looked around and see if kelly can give me that 'feeling' and sadly it doesn't.
I think I may come up ordering a birkin30.

Adia Daphne
I would love to check it out but I just never had a chance to see lindy26 in real nor even pic. Having a strap helps quite a lot but without it is still fine i guess. I probably won't take my H bag with my son together unless i have someone to help taking care of him.
How's venentian red? How would you compare it with rouge garrance?