If Audrey Hepburn Liked It....

Forsyte

Dec 15, 2009
I know a lot of people feel speedy 25 is too small for grown women but I keep wondering, the iconic pairing of Audrey Hepburn and her speedy 25 is so strong I just wonder why it has come to be that we feel this way about this size of bag?

Last edited:
I wear the 25 in both mono and damier and the size is perfect for me and I'm 52 years old, 5' 2-1/2 inches and 103 pounds. The 30 is way too big on my frame and I only use my mono 30 for travel. Bigger is not always better. Sometimes it's just big and saggy. Audrey Hepburn understood class and proportion and understatement. I have seen some tiny women out with the 30 and it honestly looked kind of silly, like the bag was carrying them rather than a part of a classy and pretty whole look. While trends are fun, ultimately you need to look at what truly enhances your look rather than detracts. I do agree that larger women probably need a bigger bag to balance their frame. You do need to try a bag on and be brutally honest with yourself. Don't worry about what people on the forum say. Pick what is pretty on you without any other thoughts in your mind. I love the people on this forum and they are absolutely wonderful and on the whole have lovely taste and are wonderful friends. But at the end of the day, the $700 for a speedy is coming out of my money and I'm going to be loving or not loving my bag, and it's crucial to not be swayed by anyone else's opinon. Pick what looks best on you. Don't even think the number: 25 or 30. Look at the bag on your arm, against your own body. If you're slim and don't carry the kitchen sink though, the 25 is perfect. It's a lovely bag. I do think our society on a whole has gotten much heavier which is why the 30 is probably more purchased now. If you look at the time when Audrey Hepburn was carrrying her bag, women were much slimmer. Even sizes have changed. There is vanity sizing. I wear a zero that twenty years ago would have been a four or a six. A size 10-12 now is much bigger. Just look at the proportion. Even my SA laughs and tells me I look silly with the 30. It's not age, it's your size and frame, what looks classy, understated and beautiful. I think it was Chanel who said to have a style, not be a blind slave to fashion. It's a good lesson. Some of the really oversize bags that are out now just look kind of silly. It's all you notice. Enjoy the trends, but a classic bag, like the LV speedy has a certain look and panache that isn't meant to look like a giant, oversized carpetbag. Be careful not to turn a classic look into a parody if you are really slim and tiny. Then you detract from rather than enhancing your look.

Last edited:
I think that it is because of this trend that bags should be big at the moment. But i think that sometimes a speedy 25 can look so much better on someone than a huge 35. It needs to fit you not just frame wise but also style wise. If you carry a lot with you than you might better go with a 30, but if you don't and the 25 looks good on your frame then you should rock it.

I think that the only way to determine the best size for you is to hold it in front of a mirror. I was looking forward to getting a 35 - generally I carry large bags so that seemed like a good idea. But when I tried it on in the boutique, the 30 was just a much better size for me. I'm 5'6" so it wasn't that I didn't have the height - for some reason, the 30 just looked better!!

I personally LOVE the 25 speedies! I think they're adorable and chic, and they don't make you look like you're carrying luggage around. (No offense to those who love the larger sizes!)

I'm 5'3" so that might have something to do with it though :P

I picked the 30 for functionality, not looks. The 25 would suit my 5'2 1/4 frame better but the 30 fit my stuff better. I use my purse for function not as an accessory. I may be an odd one one here:P.