Home & Garden If a professional Organizer came to your home, would they call for back-up?

GypsyWater

O.G.
May 5, 2011
In other words...got clutter? :smile:

I am going to be calling for help to organize my apartment. Mostly the living spaces. I KNOW my personal space is bad, I accept that.

Just reading all the Organizer peoples' website, you would think clutter caused the plague, and every other disaster in history. I am sure, from reading this blog, that I am not the only one who enjoys a little creativity, history, nostalgia and new ideas when putting together my outfit in the morning.

Do you embrace the clutter? Do you fight it? Curious. Thanks.

No clutter here! It's easier to clean and keep track of everything. The only place that surprises guests is the fridge. It is covered with magnets from cities around the world. My bedroom is all white, nothing on the dressers or nightstands.. Coffee table has 1 decorative plate thing on it.. I even use up perfumes before buying new ones to keep my bathroom uncluttered. I only have 2-3 bottles of perfume out at a time.

I can't do clutter. When we emigrated we sold every single thing we owned and moved with nothing but the baggage allowance in clothing and keepsakes. Best thing I ever did -- to this day DH & I still do a massive purge once or twice a year.

I'm that gal with three pairs of jeans -- one bootleg, one skinny, one black :smile:

I cannot stand clutter, and although it does creep up on me occasionally, I go berserk every so often and just clear EVERYTHING out. I find that I feel better, less stressed and even think more clearly when my home is tidy and organized.

And not having clutter has nothing to do with history or nostalgia or creativity, because a person can have all of those things without clutter. It isn't necessarily about how many things you have, but instead about how you choose to keep and organize them. When a person really thinks about it, though, most people have so many things in their homes that they rarely - if ever - use or need. If something has been in a closet for years, it is likely one doesn't need it. If it has sentimental meaning, then it ought to either be displayed or properly preserved. But in my mind, there's really little excuse for things just sitting about unused.

no clutter here either. as a kid, my parents were flippers before it was "the thing to do", we learned to pare down, to throw out things we didn't need so that moving would always be easy. my mom was never sentimental about keeping all of our kid things..plus, we always had people around who could use our old clothes and toys.

DH's family are all pack rats..his aunt and sister should be on "hoarders"! so DH is also deathly afraid of clutter, i'm thankful that that's one thing we never have to fight about.

cocobelle..u inspire me with your 3 pairs of jeans. haha.

My stuff in my bedroom is organized to perfection in Ikea units-even by color. My I made a linen closet in my bedroom small closet and everything is folded neat and organized like a store display. Hubby is a different matter. He has the huge walk in closet that could double as a room. His 2 huge closet shelves fell (from too much clothing) about 4 months ago and everything is still sitting on the floor in there. He hasn't had the time to get to it. I could cry when I see his closet. It is not normal to live like this. I refuse to be the one to clean it out. I have Ikea units for him to put in his closet-all he has to do is move the clothes off the floor and put the units in but it just isn't happening. It is like messes don't bother him. I could not function like that. He still has stuff from when we dated 30+ years ago and they don't fit and will never fit again. ( love the old snakeskin shoes and boots-UGH).

They would call the show hoarders..... My hubby does not want to get rid of anything. The basement needs a huge dumpster to clean it out...... My best friend is coming for a few weeks and that is our project. Thank God for goodwill and a few charity shops that will come to your home to pickup because I am just boxing/baggin up everything and getting rid of anything we don't need. The reason it got this way is his overwhelming collection of car parts for his old Mercedes. He even took a car apart and saved the parts so I have things like car doors and hoods down there in his unfinished room of the basement which means all the junk that used to be there got thrown in the fininished part. It is beyond words. He also has enough tires for 5 cars-to open a tire shop. It does get depressing and frustrating because this basement can be done up as a wonderful play area for my teenagers and their friends. I hope being inside for the winter will give me the time to finally clean it all out. He freaks when I get rid of things so it will be a challenge.

I am the Queen of Clutter. My closet is about ye big, and simply cannot handle my wardrobe. My purses are piled up on the floor in the corners of my room. Most of my clothes hang all over the laundry room or are folded in piles on top of the dryer or in laundry baskets. I have a pile of shoes sitting by the door to the garage in my basement, another pile sitting under the table in my room. That table is covered in makeup, concert and movie ticket stubs, CDs, etc. I'm a packrat, and I'm messy. It doesn't bother me. Organized chaos is what I'm most comfortable in. I know where everything is, and I have no problem leaving it lay there for months. Every once in a while I'll do a major purge and clean, and honestly I just feel uncomfortable in my empty clean room. I like my mess. It makes me feel at home. It's weird when I walk into some of my friends' homes which are super clean with nothing sitting around. It looks like nobody lives there. I'm used to and fond of my mess, and I don't think that'll ever change. In other words, I'd be a professional organizer's worst nightmare. They'd recommend therapy...and probably pills. LOL.

i'm not a very good organizer, so i keep our stuff to a minimum...we do major cleanouts several times a year.

my mother is an exceptional organizer, everything has a place...she knows where every paperclip in her home is.

I do have a lot of clutter and it bothers me. Problem is I keep buying stuff and it just piles up in the closet or on the shelf or whatever.

I have a bunch of stuff that I don't want or need but am reluctant to donate it as a lot of it was not inexpensive and it is all brand new. Stupid of me to hang on to it, I know.

I'm the same. can't stand clutter and I go crazy with cleanups every once in a while. it really does make you feel better.

I cannot stand clutter, and although it does creep up on me occasionally, I go berserk every so often and just clear EVERYTHING out. I find that I feel better, less stressed and even think more clearly when my home is tidy and organized.

And not having clutter has nothing to do with history or nostalgia or creativity, because a person can have all of those things without clutter. It isn't necessarily about how many things you have, but instead about how you choose to keep and organize them. When a person really thinks about it, though, most people have so many things in their homes that they rarely - if ever - use or need. If something has been in a closet for years, it is likely one doesn't need it. If it has sentimental meaning, then it ought to either be displayed or properly preserved. But in my mind, there's really little excuse for things just sitting about unused.