Travel Ideas for weekend trips around the Washington, D.C. area in winter

LeeMiller

O.G.
Jun 29, 2007
I know there are alot of people on here from DC! My fiance wants to go away for the weekend, and we aren't sure where. We go to NYC a couple of times a year, so probably that is out, but any other idea? We are thinking of Gettysburg, but I HATE the cold, so I'm not sure that is a great time to go.

What don't you go to the mountains? Yes, it's cold, but they're right down the road, and rates on cabins and resorts are great right now. And there's nothing better than snuggling in a cabin in front of a fire with a great view over the mountains.They're beautiful any time of year. I'm not sure what you're into, exactly, but since you mentioned Gettysburg, you could also go do the Charlottesville bed and breakfast thing and visit Monticello and Ash Lawn, or any of the other historic areas around there. Williamsburg is also not far, and that is really a lot of fun to visit. Hmm...The Homestead in Hot Springs is always nice too.

North Carolina is also very pretty- Asheville and the Biltmore aren't any further than NY, so that might be an option too. For that matter, rates on the Outer Banks are really, really low right now, and you could rent one of those giant beach houses for the weekend probably for about 1/4 of normal rates.

Hi Lee! -- maybe not far enough away, but have you considered Baltimore. Besides the Inner Harbor there are good art museums (Walters, Baltimore Art Museum), the Baltimore Symphony, theater (Centerstage, etc) fun neighborhoods like Fells Point and Mt Washington and great seafood.