ideas for rice?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Another request.

Ideas for rice. I have several kinds in the cupboard: basmati (white and brown), brown, and long grain white.

Sides, main dishes, whatever you've got and love. And helpful if kids will eat it.

2. My mother makes a brown rice (you could use any kind) and lentil salad. Brown rice, lentils, onion, pepper, and any other veggie you have and need to use up. Mango oil, salt and pepper to dress. It's delicious! You could use any flavored oil. This is a trader joe's recipe and it called for their mango vinegar. If I have leftover chicken breast I'll throw that in as well for some extra protein. I've also put dried apricots in it.

3. I made pilaf tonight... I used 1 cup of basmati rice and seasoned it with:
    1 tbsp chicken boullion
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/8 tsp each of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and allspice
    a few safron threads.

Then I melted 2 tbsp butter, sauteed the rice and seasonings in it for a few mins, then added 2 cups water, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup chopped nuts and a cinnamon stick. I turned it to low, covered it & cooked for 30 mins. It was really tasty!

4. Broccoli rice casserole?

1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
    1 cup chopped broccoli
    2 cups shredded cheese
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    minced garlic, salt pepper to taste

Cook rice. I use a rice pot so I just throw the broccoli in with it to steam at the same time. When it done, I mix the cheese, soup & garlic in and transfer to a casserole dish.
    Cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

5. Mmm, I love this. I add leftover shredded chicken to mine when I have it and it reheats great for lunches, too.

6. fried rice XD saffron rice or my very favorite: coconut rice, either salted (nasi lemak style) or sweet (thai sticky rice style)

7. I've been wanting to make this dish - Cheesy Baked Rice
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/19065

Maybe save this for winter - Greek Lemon Rice Soup
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1648,154191-250192,00.html

Go to side dish for me - no name for it though!
    Basmati Rice cooked w 1/2 chicken stock, 1/2 water
    Once cooked fluff and mix in either toasted pine nuts or carmelized onions or sauteed mushrooms or any combo of!

Comfort food for me - Chicken w Cream of Mushroom Soup over Rice

8. Mushroom rice: Cube the mushrooms and add some oil to a put, throw them in and let them get very golden, season them with salt at this point then add washed and soaked rice (now drained) into pot and coat with the oil stirring, add stock (mushroom or chicken) and the water along with a drop of soy sauce. Cook and serve.

Works with basmati, jasmine or parboiled.. anything really except wild or brown because they take longer.

- Cook rice in beef browth adding a dash of allspice.

- Cook rice in chicken broth adding a dash of turmeric

- Add oil in pot, add some garlic for just a few seconds, then tomato paste, carmalize for just a second until tomato is a little on the dark side, add rice, stir to coat, add water/stock, simmer and serve. This is a great dish to accompany any fish.
    Another variation is to add a drop of pomegranate molasses with the tomato paste.

9. umm thanks! i plan on making this for supper tom!

10. I have to GREAT rice recipes.

Savory Rice:
    1 cup of rice (long white rice i think?)
    1 can of chicken broth
    1 can of beef consumme
    some chopped onion

mix together and cook at 350 for an hour or so, until it looks done.

Another Rice dish - sort of the same flavor as the top, but slightly more flavorful.

2 cups of INSTANT RICE (very important that you use instant rice in this)
    1 can of mushrooms
    1 can of beef consumme
    1 can of french onion soup
    1/2 stick of butter (melted)

mix together and back at 350 for one hour.

11. I always cook my rice in chicken broth instead of water. Gives it much more flavor. Then I refrigerate it and fry it later with a little olive oil, onion, egg, and veggies like broccoli or squash. While I cook that, my husband grills chicken breasts and then we add it all together for a meal. very easy and our kids eat every bite.

12. Cook any kind of rice you like in chicken stock instead of water. While the rice is cooking, toast 1/4 C of pine nuts over low heat, and finely chop green oinons and parsley or clinatro or combination of both together. You should have about 1/3 cup of chopped green stuff.

Stir the chopped onion, herbs and pine nuts into the rice, let it sit for minute of two, and serve.

13. Brown rice, a can of black beans or your favorite type of bean, and salsa. You can put it in a bowl or make it a wrap. Yummy and healthy!!

14. i call this lazy rice ... i keep those uncle ben's microwave pouches of rice in the pantry. on nights that i don't want to cook, i grab one of those green giant frozen boxed vegetables, heat them both up, and mix them together. i like the small portions and lack of dirty pans. i've also brought them to work!