"ICE" - In Case of an Emergency

RowanOak

O.G.
Aug 22, 2006
This is such a great idea. It was forwarded to me in an e-mail, so read it and pass this on to as many people as possible. (Hope this hasn't already been posted. Search showed nothing)

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its
memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the
people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who
to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored, but which one is
the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this "ICE" (In
Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of
contact during emergency situations. As cell phones are carried by
the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the
number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during
emergency under the name "ICE" ( In Case Of Emergency) The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to
the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with
patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore
thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation,
Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as "ICE." For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. Spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE n umber in your Mobile phones today.

Please forward this. It won't take too many "forwards" before everybody will know about this.
It really could save your life, or
put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you are
not able to.

my husband is a medic and he had me start doing this about two years ago. it's a GREAT idea. i made all my friends do it too. the other good idea is to keep a clearly marked "in case of emergency" card listing all your medications/known allergies/existing conditions/emergency contact information in your wallet next to your id. if you put it some place else in your wallet, they probably won't find it but it will really help them be able to treat you if they know those things.

thanks for bringing attention to this!

Great idea. Sometimes I know that if something happened I wouldn't want my parents knowing about it first (mom has anxiety, high blood pressure etc). If I found someones phone and they were in trouble I'd think of calling "home" or "mom" "dad" things like that. So for ICE I would put my DH. The only problem with this is most people don't know about this. I can't believe I'd never heard of this before. It is a great idea but until it becomes more talked about I'm going to add ICE as well as "emergency contact" with a "1" or symbol infront so its the first number on the list.

I can't believe I'd never heard of this before. It is a great idea but until it becomes more talked about I'm going to add ICE as well as "emergency contact" with a "1" or symbol infront so its the first number on the list.

i forgot to mention this. mine look like:
(ICE1) DH
(ICE2) Home
(ICE3) Mom
(ICE4) Dad

that way they show in order at the top of your contact list like kneehighz said. otherwise they get buried in the i's or whatever name your contact is. also paramedics and police know a lot about it....they'll know what it means, even if a bystander doesn't. and bystanders should definitely be calling 911 first. :smile:

I have listings for "mom" and "dad" and "dad's cell," etc. I think they can figure that out. I do have a card in my wallet from the SPCA though that says "I have pets at home. In an emergency please call..." I am more worried about something happening to me and nobody taking care of my dog than anything else.

I have listings for "mom" and "dad" and "dad's cell," etc. I think they can figure that out. I do have a card in my wallet from the SPCA though that says "I have pets at home. In an emergency please call..." I am more worried about something happening to me and nobody taking care of my dog than anything else.
Same. I have "mom" and "dad" listed, so I figured that's self-explanatory. I did use to have the ICE in my contact list, but I figured mom and dad is obvious enough. This is great info though!

Great idea about ICE numbers in a cell phone!!! I'm going to do that right now!

Also, please keep your ICE info on a small piece of paper near your driver's license or ID card as well as near your medical insurance card in your wallet.

Great post!

We've been doing this for a few years.

I've heard that ICE is better than just "Mom", "Dad" or "Home" because by putting ICE in your "contacts", you are actually giving legal consent for an emergency worker to dial that number. There have been lawsuits where numbers were dialed (even in emergencies)was considered an invasion of privacy. So, in some jurisdictions, they won't even call numbers in your phone without your verbal permission...which can't be given if you're uncounscious. So it's better to add ICE and not take any chances!

Great post!

We've been doing this for a few years.

I've heard that ICE is better than just "Mom", "Dad" or "Home" because by putting ICE in your "contacts", you are actually giving legal consent for an emergency worker to dial that number. There have been lawsuits where numbers were dialed (even in emergencies)was considered an invasion of privacy. So, in some jurisdictions, they won't even call numbers in your phone without your verbal permission...which can't be given if you're uncounscious. So it's better to add ICE and not take any chances!
Good point. I re-inputted the ICE numbers just in case. I'm hoping no one will ever need to have to call anyone on that list though. :s