I won - Seller Wants to Charge Xtra Shipping

This happened to my dh. He bought 1 Baseball card from a seller and the seller emailed him and said he wanted more money to ship the item....like 5.00 more. My husband agreed even though he knew it was not right because shipping 1 baseball card cost 1.20 or so. He then emailed my dh again asking for 3.00 for insurance and my dh called the guy and said that he could not keep asking for more money, ect. Anyway, he never even received the card. I would not do it. I always pay for shipping when it goes over (which it has quite a few times) and I would not dream of asking my buyer to pay more after that. It's my fault that I did not estimate the right price to begin with. Just my .02 cents.

Yeah I would give her $10. I would let her know that the PO would have given you the $ you paid on the auction, not the retail price. They need to see proof of what was paid. Sounds like she was trying to be really helpful which is rare on ebay.

Actually, the shipping insurance is to cover the seller, not the buyer and therefore, the seller is supposed to make the claim, not the buyer. It is also the seller's responsibilty to, in the case of loss, reimburse the buyer - whether the buyer has paid for insurance and/or the seller has chosen to insure the item and/or has claimed on the insurance, yet and/or has received the insurance payment, yet, or not.

So really, as the seller, it actually makes sense, for domestic shipments, to insure the item for what one paid for it (assuming that's the higher amount); just in case one has to claim. This is, obviously, not the case with international shipments, though, as the insurance amount normally has to coincide with the customs declaration amount; so, if one insures the bag for retail, the poor buyer will probably end up having to pay tax on the retail price, rather than the eBay price and will, understandably, not be happy! :nogood:

Something similar happened to me last month. I fell in love with a Cole Haan patent tote, but C.H. isn't available outside the States. I found the bag on ebay and won. The seller asked for 35$ shipping charges and agree to list it as a gift not to make me pay around 100$ in taxes in the UK. So when he sent me a copy of the receipt for postage and asked for 35$ more I waited for the bag to arrive, then I paid. After all he helped me save the taxes fee and was clearly mistaken on the cost for shipping to the EU.

I'd pay the difference, it is not a big amount of money after all.