I won my holy grail vintage medium flap... Now how do I clean it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvbags29

O.G.
Feb 23, 2012
I won a medium classic flap in black lambskin leather. Wondering what products you recommend using on the leather (both inside and out) to clean it. Any advice or product recommendations would be super helpful and appreciated! I'm so excited to get this 30 year old bag in my hands :smile:
I've saved for quite some time and would like to get her sparkly clean and protected as best I can without damaging her.

Congrats!

The top cleaners mentioned many times on TPF are:
  • Cadillac boot and shoe lotion (I use this) or
  • Meltonian neutral (haven't used)
  • AppleCare (haven't used)
Also some people will say don't use anything and bring it into Chanel for a spa.

I've used Cadillac boot and shoe lotion on the exact same bag as yours (20 years young) and didn't have any problems. A tiny bit of colour came out but I think it was just dirt.

Reactions: vanillaicepink
Congrats!

The top cleaners mentioned many times on TPF are:
  • Cadillac boot and shoe lotion (I use this) or
  • Meltonian neutral (haven't used)
  • AppleCare (haven't used)
Also some people will say don't use anything and bring it into Chanel for a spa.

I've used Cadillac boot and shoe lotion on the exact same bag as yours (20 years young) and didn't have any problems. A tiny bit of colour came out but I think it was just dirt.

Thanks for your help! How do you apply the Cadillac boot and shoe lotion? Do you apply everywhere on the bag and inside too? Have you heard of using Weimann leather wipes and Kiwi Express Shine at all? I saw a few Youtube videos where they used these two products too and wasn't sure if anyone has had any luck with those? I'm so excited to get this vintage beauty and want to know how to best shine her up :smile:

Thanks for your help! How do you apply the Cadillac boot and shoe lotion? Do you apply everywhere on the bag and inside too? Have you heard of using Weimann leather wipes and Kiwi Express Shine at all? I saw a few Youtube videos where they used these two products too and wasn't sure if anyone has had any luck with those? I'm so excited to get this vintage beauty and want to know how to best shine her up :smile:
I apply the Cadillac lotion using a baby washcloth. I have tried the kiwi shine, and it worked wonders on a vintage bag! I also would consider purchasing a can of meltonian delicate cream, as it is great for the corners and taking out scratches:smile: Congrats to you!

Reactions: revitalise
I apply the Cadillac lotion using a baby washcloth. I have tried the kiwi shine, and it worked wonders on a vintage bag! I also would consider purchasing a can of meltonian delicate cream, as it is great for the corners and taking out scratches:smile: Congrats to you!

I hope you don't mind I have a few questions....
1) Is it called Cadillac boot and shoe care or Cadillac boot and shoe leather lotion? I was searching for it on amazon and am confused.
2) When do you use the kiwi shine? Is it the first product you put on? Does it go only on the outside?
3) Where do you find the meltonian delicate cream you mention? Is it a certain brand? Do you apply it only to the corners or to the entire outside surface?
4) What is the order you apply these items? (cadillac lotion, kiwi shine and meltonian cream)
5) Do you recommend using them all on the same vintage bag or should I just stick to one product?

Thanks so much everyone for helping me. I can't wait to hear your thoughts :smile:

s
I hope you don't mind I have a few questions....
1) Is it called Cadillac boot and shoe care or Cadillac boot and shoe leather lotion? I was searching for it on amazon and am confused.
2) When do you use the kiwi shine? Is it the first product you put on? Does it go only on the outside?
3) Where do you find the meltonian delicate cream you mention? Is it a certain brand? Do you apply it only to the corners or to the entire outside surface?
4) What is the order you apply these items? (cadillac lotion, kiwi shine and meltonian cream)
5) Do you recommend using them all on the same vintage bag or should I just stick to one product?

Thanks so much everyone for helping me. I can't wait to hear your thoughts :smile:
I don't mind at all! First of all, I am assuming vintage lambskin? If it's caviar, I would not use the kiwi (only in moderation), as it may make the caviar too shiny for your liking. Yes, it is called Cadillac boot and shoe care and it comes in a green bottle. I purchased mine from Nordstrom, but multiple places sell it. I purchased the meltonian delicate cream from Ebay, and it is about $5. You should be able to search the forum for more information. The first thing I would do is take a baby washcloth and put the Cadillac lotion on the washcloth first, then on the leather parts of the bag. I would not apply the lotion directly to the bag. I use the kiwi last just to give it a good shine. That is sold in the shoe section I believe. The meltonian delicate cream I use to get scratches out (or at least to minimize them). I also use a baby washcloth and put a little bit on the washcloth and then rub it in gently. The meltonian comes in a little jar. I personally used them all on my vintage bag, but I used the cleaner first, then the next day the kiwi shine, then just used the meltonian on the scratches. I hope this helps:smile:

Last edited:
s
I don't mind at all! First of all, I am assuming vintage lambskin? If it's caviar, I would not use the kiwi (only in moderation), as it may make the caviar too shiny for your liking. Yes, it is called Cadillac boot and shoe care and it comes in a green bottle. I purchased mine from Nordstrom, but multiple places sell it. I purchased the meltonian delicate cream from Ebay, and it is about $5. You should be able to search the forum for more information. The first thing I would do is take a baby washcloth and put the Cadillac lotion on the washcloth first, then on the leather parts of the bag. I would not apply the lotion directly to the bag. I use the kiwi last just to give it a good shine. That is sold in the shoe section I believe. The meltonian delicate cream I use to get scratches out (or at least to minimize them). I also use a baby washcloth and put a little bit on the washcloth and then rub it in gently. The meltonian comes in a little jar. I personally used them all on my vintage bag, but I used the cleaner first, then the next day the kiwi shine, then just used the meltonian on the scratches. I hope this helps:smile:

I really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help me out :smile: Yes... my bag is a vintage lambskin double flap.
Do you apply anything to the inside lining where the date code seal is?
What about to the double flaps? both outer and inner?

Is this the stuff? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TEEI8U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3UQNY6HERHQZZ

Thanks again for your time :smile:

Reactions: Stacy31
I really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help me out :smile: Yes... my bag is a vintage lambskin double flap.
Do you apply anything to the inside lining where the date code seal is?
What about to the double flaps? both outer and inner?

Is this the stuff? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TEEI8U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3UQNY6HERHQZZ

Thanks again for your time :smile:
Yes!! That is it! I clean/condition all of the leather on the outside (including the flaps inside). However, on the inside leather where I put my stuff, I used alcohol free baby wipes..not sure if others would recommend the same, but I didn't want to put anything that could be sticky on the inside...you probably could, though. There is a really good youtube video on how to clean vintage lambskin...it's been a while since I've watched it, but you might want to try searching there as well:smile: Enjoy your new beauty!!

Reactions: revitalise
Yes!! That is it! I clean/condition all of the leather on the outside (including the flaps inside). However, on the inside leather where I put my stuff, I used alcohol free baby wipes..not sure if others would recommend the same, but I didn't want to put anything that could be sticky on the inside...you probably could, though. There is a really good youtube video on how to clean vintage lambskin...it's been a while since I've watched it, but you might want to try searching there as well:smile: Enjoy your new beauty!!

Thank you so much for all your help! It is greatly appreciated :smile:

Reactions: Stacy31
Status
Not open for further replies.