I wish all Buyers were like that

love4mom

O.G.
Aug 9, 2010
I sold a pair of Chanel shoes back in October to a buyer in Russia. Shipped October 3rd via USPS Priority with tracking and insured for a full amount of $540. 3 week later, the buyer contact me and ask to search for the package as it has not arrived. I do my usual and open an inquiry with USPS. Usually that helps to shake the packages loose and get them moving. This time, nothing. I ask the buyer to wait a couple of weeks until USPS "deems" the item lost and sends me insurance paperwork. Buyer patiently waits and as soon as I get the paperwork, I refund her. So, insurance claim was filed on 11/15. 45 days later I call USPS and told that they are still working the claim. That because it is over $300, it goes through a "special" process, which may take longer. OK, I wait. On February 3rd (yes almost 3 months later), I receive the letter from USPS stating that they are very sorry, but they have to deny my claim, because the item was delivered. What!!!!??? I check on Russian Post website and it states that the attempted delivery was made on January 2nd.
I email the buyer and politely notify her that my insurance claim was denied and to confirm whether she actually received the package and if she did, to please either return it or pay for it. Never expecting to hear from the buyer. To my surprise she responds a day later and says that she is on vacation until mid February, but promises when she returns to check.
She emails me on February 11th and says that indeed the package has arrived while she was away and it is a bit "handled" but the shoes are fine. She sent me the money via paypal. Now, the tracking info is still stating that the attempted delivery was made, it does not show the delivery.

I have been selling on ebay for 7 years and I had my share of "bad' buyers. Most buyers have been great, but there were few "bad apples". Buyers that purposely committed fraud and buyers that had an opportunity to get a free item and took that opportunity. In 2011 I lost $11,000 due to buyers like that. This was the first time that the buyer had the opportunity to get a free item, but instead showed her integrity and honesty.

I told her that she is welcome to shop with me at any time and that I will offer her a 10% discount on anything she may want to purchase from me on top of any discounts I may already be offering and that she has this discount for as long as I will continue to sell on Ebay.

I wish all sellers buyers like that all the time!

Wow. That is certainly a seller dream, to have all honest buyers such as this.
I actually has many honest buyers from outside the USA when I used to sold and shipped worldwide- almost similar tracking did not show deliver but they said they got items, etc.My shares of bad experiences with scammers, 2 people, both sent back an empty box and got my Louis Vuitton bags for free, both local buyers. But both times I got my money back from Paypal/eBay I submitted police report.Thank god I did not lost money but eBay and Paypal did.

sold a pair of Chanel shoes back in October to a buyer in Russia. Shipped October 3rd via USPS Priority with tracking and insured for a full amount of $540. 3 week later, the buyer contact me and ask to search for the package as it has not arrived. I do my usual and open an inquiry with USPS. Usually that helps to shake the packages loose and get them moving. This time, nothing. I ask the buyer to wait a couple of weeks until USPS "deems" the item lost and sends me insurance paperwork. Buyer patiently waits and as soon as I get the paperwork, I refund her. So, insurance claim was filed on 11/15. 45 days later I call USPS and told that they are still working the claim. That because it is over $300, it goes through a "special" process, which may take longer. OK, I wait. On February 3rd (yes almost 3 months later), I receive the letter from USPS stating that they are very sorry, but they have to deny my claim, because the item was delivered. What!!!!??? I check on Russian Post website and it states that the attempted delivery was made on January 2nd.
I email the buyer and politely notify her that my insurance claim was denied and to confirm whether she actually received the package and if she did, to please either return it or pay for it. Never expecting to hear from the buyer. To my surprise she responds a day later and says that she is on vacation until mid February, but promises when she returns to check.
She emails me on February 11th and says that indeed the package has arrived while she was away and it is a bit "handled" but the shoes are fine. She sent me the money via paypal. Now, the tracking info is still stating that the attempted delivery was made, it does not show the delivery.

I have been selling on ebay for 7 years and I had my share of "bad' buyers. Most buyers have been great, but there were few "bad apples". Buyers that purposely committed fraud and buyers that had an opportunity to get a free item and took that opportunity. In 2011 I lost $11,000 due to buyers like that. This was the first time that the buyer had the opportunity to get a free item, but instead showed her integrity and honesty.

I told her that she is welcome to shop with me at any time and that I will offer her a 10% discount on anything she may want to purchase from me on top of any discounts I may already be offering and that she has this discount for as long as I will continue to sell on Ebay.

I wish all sellers buyers like that all the time!

Why USPS denied your claim when the tracking still says attempted delivery and does not show as delivered?

Why USPS denied your claim when the tracking still says attempted delivery and does not show as delivered?

Because they will use any excuse to not pay on a claim. They will stall as long as possible. In the letter they sent me, it said I could appeal within 60 days, which I was planning to do if I did not get the confirmation from the buyer. I only had to file 3-4 insurance claims over the years an the only time they paid, was $100 for a damage, not loss. I really only use USPS insurance for Russia. All others, I self-insure.

Not only is this a happy ending but you extended yourself & went the extra
mile for your buyer by wanting to work with her in the future & give her
an additional discount on a purchase..

Very nice indeed!!!

Because they will use any excuse to not pay on a claim. They will stall as long as possible. In the letter they sent me, it said I could appeal within 60 days, which I was planning to do if I did not get the confirmation from the buyer. I only had to file 3-4 insurance claims over the years an the only time they paid, was $100 for a damage, not loss. I really only use USPS insurance for Russia. All others, I self-insure.
This is a wonderful story, and a wonderful buyer! It really makes you feel good that there are still some good people among us :smile:

Maybe for the future you can use u-pic.com or shipsurance.com? You can search for more information on Ebay community forums. I never use usps for insurance, since I've heard that they almost never pay. I used U-pic to insure First Class International packages, but never had a claim with them. The claim process seems to be simple: they usually need a signed affidavit from the buyer, and I also heard that a INR claim with Paypal or ebay can be used as a proof, if the buyer does not cooperate. You can also include the shipping costs in the insurance amount.

That buyer has some good karma coming her way! I could NEVER screw someone over. It's not in my nature to be deceiving, I would never feel good about keeping something I didn't pay for, or got out of dishonesty.

This is a wonderful story, and a wonderful buyer! It really makes you feel good that there are still some good people among us :smile:

Maybe for the future you can use u-pic.com or shipsurance.com? You can search for more information on Ebay community forums. I never use usps for insurance, since I've heard that they almost never pay. I used U-pic to insure First Class International packages, but never had a claim with them. The claim process seems to be simple: they usually need a signed affidavit from the buyer, and I also heard that a INR claim with Paypal or ebay can be used as a proof, if the buyer does not cooperate. You can also include the shipping costs in the insurance amount.

Yes, I heard about them. I started to self insure last year. Instead of giving my money to someone else. Losses are so rare, that the amount of money I would have paid for insurance would be much more then what I lost in total in 7 years.