I washed my Burberry trench instead of dry cleaning

jess236

O.G.
Apr 4, 2011
My Burberry Mottram trench coat was due for a clean but I was worried about having it dry cleaned because of the many negative stories I read about lost buttons, warped buttons and ruined trenches, so I checked online to see if anyone had successfully washed their Burberry trench at home.

I read these two articles (attached) by Laundress and a few comments by people who successfully washed their trenches – actually removing stains that the dry-cleaner couldn’t.

I went ahead and tried it first on the inside of the collar. I rubbed bar soap into the dirty areas and then worked it to a lather with some water. I let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes, then filled a sink with cool water and some baby shampoo. I soaked the collar for about 30 – 40 minutes, and then rinsed with clean cool water and hung the coat to dry. It dried quickly and looked perfect – dirty areas cleaned and the coat as good as new.

http://blog.thelaundress.com/wordpr...-will-never-go-out-of-style-so-keep-it-clean/
http://www.thelaundress.com/asklaundress/raincoats-outerwear/burberry-trench/#.WJy0em8rIfK

My trench is a poly/cotton blend with viscose lining the sleeves.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! Been wondering the same thing myself. Was there any change in the look or sheen of the fabric compared to the unwashed parts?

There was absolutely no change in the fabric and no difference between the cleaned fabric and the areas that were unwashed. I posted two "before" pics of the dirty collar and where I began to add the soap followed by two "after" pics after it dried. I hope it shows up in the photos. Next time, I plan to take better photos.

Attachments

• Dirtyone.jpg
    Dirtyone.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 13,147
  • Dirty.jpg
    Dirty.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 12,670
  • Cleanone.jpg
    Cleanone.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 12,650
  • Cleantwo.jpg
    Cleantwo.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 12,752
Good for you!

My Burberry trench needs a clean. I might try this too but with Ecover. My only concern is the protective water repellent 'stuff' comes off in the soaking.

I've had labels, buttons/bits disappear and things ruined by professionals so I don't blame anyone for DIY cleaning precious things. This Summer I hand-washed a Roberto Cavalli silk dress the same way as my Hermes scarves and it came out perfectly.

Good for you!

My Burberry trench needs a clean. I might try this too but with Ecover. My only concern is the protective water repellent 'stuff' comes off in the soaking.

I've had labels, buttons/bits disappear and things ruined by professionals so I don't blame anyone for DIY cleaning precious things. This Summer I hand-washed a Roberto Cavalli silk dress the same way as my Hermes scarves and it came out perfectly.

On it's website (under FAQs), Burberry recommends reproofing your trench coat even after dry cleaning - so either way reproofing is something that will eventually have to be done.
I don't think it's a problem with one or two washes - maybe after repeated washes, reproofing might be necessary. I didn't see any change at all after washing and drying the collar and pocket area twice.

Also Burberry has a reproofing service, so that helps.

There was absolutely no change in the fabric and no difference between the cleaned fabric and the areas that were unwashed. I posted two "before" pics of the dirty collar and where I began to add the soap followed by two "after" pics after it dried. I hope it shows up in the photos. Next time, I plan to take better photos.

Looks great! Might give this a try the next time my trench needs a clean.

Reactions: Sferics and jess236
My Burberry Mottram trench coat was due for a clean but I was worried about having it dry cleaned because of the many negative stories I read about lost buttons, warped buttons and ruined trenches, so I checked online to see if anyone had successfully washed their Burberry trench at home.

I read these two articles (attached) by Laundress and a few comments by people who successfully washed their trenches – actually removing stains that the dry-cleaner couldn’t.

I went ahead and tried it first on the inside of the collar. I rubbed bar soap into the dirty areas and then worked it to a lather with some water. I let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes, then filled a sink with cool water and some baby shampoo. I soaked the collar for about 30 – 40 minutes, and then rinsed with clean cool water and hung the coat to dry. It dried quickly and looked perfect – dirty areas cleaned and the coat as good as new.

http://blog.thelaundress.com/wordpr...-will-never-go-out-of-style-so-keep-it-clean/
http://www.thelaundress.com/asklaundress/raincoats-outerwear/burberry-trench/#.WJy0em8rIfK

My trench is a poly/cotton blend with viscose lining the sleeves.
I am so glad this worked out for you. I'd be too afraid to risk something happening to the color. I once tried taking off a spot on one of my fabric Gucci bags and I ruined it.

Reactions: wisconsin
On it's website (under FAQs), Burberry recommends reproofing your trench coat even after dry cleaning - so either way reproofing is something that will eventually have to be done.
I don't think it's a problem with one or two washes - maybe after repeated washes, reproofing might be necessary. I didn't see any change at all after washing and drying the collar and pocket area twice.

Also Burberry has a reproofing service, so that helps.

How much is reproofing usually?

I love the title of this thread Jess! Definitely grabs attention and I could totally see a Burberry snob looking at the title and thinking "*gasp*, so scandalous!" :lol:

Reactions: JLO1
I love the title of this thread Jess! Definitely grabs attention and I could totally see a Burberry snob looking at the title and thinking "*gasp*, so scandalous!" :lol:

Not meant to be scandalous...just a helpful tip for anyone who doesn't have a trusted drycleaner and would like to DIY.:smile: