i was under the impression that metallics are over

I had a silver Kathy Van Zeeland bag, wallet and keychain about 2 or 3 summers ago...it was fun for a couple mos. but i'm very over it. But i agree with the right "quiet" outfit it can work.
I totally agree that hot or not it's NOT if it's not your thing!! I'm happy colors are big...i get bored fast LOL I'm planning to buy one great red bag by fall.

I have two metallic bags - my silver Kooba Lucy and my gold Fiore Audra. I love them both because they're not too whacky - they're just enough.

Attachments

• KoobaLucySilver.jpg
    KoobaLucySilver.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 22
  • c42e_1.JPG.jpg
    c42e_1.JPG.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 18
I can't remember whether it is this month's Vogue or Tatler, but one of them has a short piece on metallics and flags up that they were seen on the runways for the Autumn collections too, so someone still thinks they're the business!

i think i would rather invest in a small piece such as a nice little clutch or a pair of shoes in metallics. i still feel like they should be for night time only. shiny bags under the sun on the other hand......:tdown:

Metallics never really go away. They're very popular one year and the next they are not so popular... Animal prints go through the same trend cycle.

I'm not a huge fan of metallics, though if I found some that were more understated like Swanky Mama of Three's example (on the left) I would definitely take a closer look.

I had some metallic shoes awhile back and really liked them, they added to the outfit but weren't over the top. I think a metallic bag can look really cute. Swanky, I love your gold one. Is that Chanel?

After fall 05, I thought we were done with metallics- i was so sick of them- i couldnt stand them anymore! Then they re-surfaced. At first I was resistant, but now Im starting to like them again.:tup:

I just bought two pairs of metallic flats this summer- silver and a gold/brown/topaz sort of mix. I wear them with everything and they look great! I also dragged out my old (Tano, of course!) twiggy cracklux bag in brown/pewter from 2 years ago and it looks as good as ever. Im eyeing some of the muted metallics (dark golds, bronzes, blackened pewters) that Tano has coming in for Fall 07 for my own personal collection. Maybe metallics have evolved from a trendy into a staple color pallette?

Personally I think that touches of muted gold and bronzey brown will always look great. Im not crazy about the really reflective metallics that are tinfoil shiny.

^^yes, both bags are Chanel, the black is a Metallic Black Luxury Ligne Flap and the other is a Bronze Cotton Club Tote in large.

I think patent also cycles.. . . always classic but some years is more hot than teh next.

IMO metallics for evening will always be classic (i.e., shoes and evening bags).

I think metallics for day can look good if they aren't overdone and subtle. I think the shiney gold/silver trend we saw a couple of years ago is mostly over. I hardly ever see huge, bright metallic bags anymore. If I see metallics they are more subtle metallic finishes.

IMO I think the bling movement that started the metallic trend is dying down. I know I'm sick of every bag being covered in lots of metallic, studs, zippers, hardware, etc. and think there are others out there who are sick of it too. I'm starting to see a lot of designers going back to simpler bags again.