I was soooo fooled today!

Zuggy

Adopt don't shop
Jul 7, 2013
So I'm in the checkout line at the grocery store when I noticed the bag of the woman in front of me. I was looking at what I thought was a large Phoebe. It was a gorgeous grey color with silver hardware with the center zip and the flanking snap compartments. I couldn't see the hang tag but I was SO CERTAIN it was a Phoebe that I asked the woman what the name of the color of her Phoebe was. She looked at me like I had 12 heads and was clearly confused. I pointed to her bag and said, this is a Phoebe, right? Her answer to me....no, it's Charming Charlie!!! If you don't have a Charming Charlie its kind of like a Claire's on steroids. They sell low priced costume jewelry and accessories.

I don't pretend to be a Coach expert but I'm pretty knowledgeable and can spot most knock-offs a mile away. I desperately wanted to touch it to feel the texture. Knowing it came from CC, I doubt it was even leather but man o man, it was reeeeaaaalllly nice. I now want to go to CC and check them out. Just dying to know the price point!

CC IS like Claire's on steroids! LOL The first time I ever went to one, it was system overload, I couldn't even absorb all I was looking at. They tend to have some nice from afar looking knockoffs or 'inspired' pieces, but I would never get one. Now you have me curious and want to go see this in person too....

It's not leather and it's like $35. A gal I work with has one and she loves it...she had no clue it looks just like a Coach style. She just bought it because she liked it. Even the hardware that the handles attach to is the same. It does have a big outside zip pocket, which is the dead giveaway. Charming Charlie's is huge out here...

Here's a pic...also, they have Balenciaga and Mulberry "knockoffs"...it's definitely a place that will confuse you w/ all they have...but great for cheap earrings for a cruise, etc!

Attachments

• 5090040613_1.jpg
    5090040613_1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,279
It's not leather and it's like $35. A gal I work with has one and she loves it...she had no clue it looks just like a Coach style. She just bought it because she liked it. Even the hardware that the handles attach to is the same. It does have a big outside zip pocket, which is the dead giveaway. Charming Charlie's is huge out here...
Re the hardware and handles, BINGO!! There are identical! As for the outside pocket, had I seen that I would have known it wasn't a Phoebe but the bag was sitting in the child seat area and the zipper must have been on the other side.

Here's a pic...also, they have Balenciaga and Mulberry "knockoffs"...it's definitely a place that will confuse you w/ all they have...but great for cheap earrings for a cruise, etc!
I'm literally laughing out loud!!! The one and only time I was ever in CC was to get earrings for a cruise!!

Last edited:
I've never heard of charming Charlie so I was curious & looked it up online... They really do copy every designer out there!

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

I saw it in store a couple of weeks ago and did a double take. It is exactly like the Phoebe! Surprises me that they can copy designs like that.

I like the fun scarfs they have there and some of the clothes.

I know PU doesn't look as good in person, smells and feels terrible, and often comes on handbags that aren't as well-made inside... but WOW, on the site, the CC knockoffs look LEGIT.

Once upon a time (quite recently) I lived in Ethiopia where all the fashionable city girls carry blinged-out trendy handbags and totter about in fake-suede heels. It was always amazing to see. Not many designer knockoffs but lots of cheap, gorgeous PU handbags from China.

I know PU doesn't look as good in person, smells and feels terrible, and often comes on handbags that aren't as well-made inside... but WOW, on the site, the CC knockoffs look LEGIT.

Once upon a time (quite recently) I lived in Ethiopia where all the fashionable city girls carry blinged-out trendy handbags and totter about in fake-suede heels. It was always amazing to see. Not many designer knockoffs but lots of cheap, gorgeous PU handbags from China.
Forgive my ignorance but what does PU mean? :shame: