I was robbed. Some of my Chanel is gone forever :(

thank you Bri for sharing this , my prayers go out to you and your family. I am going to get cameras installed now and hooked up to the alarm company and also will install motion detectors in our studio (bottom floor where all of my purses and shoes are displayed) I'm getting this done asap!!!

sorry to hear such heart ache incident. thanks for your advice. i was thinking of getting insurance for house burglary and after hearing this, think have to give it a serious thought...

Sorry to hear that this happened to you...my husband and I were robbed, when we were first married. Back then we didn't have much, but it was still a horrible experience and I felt so violated that people had gone through my drawers looking for things. Back then, I only had costume jewelry but they stole things that had a lot of sentimental value. I hope they catch whoever did it. It makes me more determined to change a walk in closet into a "lock down" safe!

Omg, Sabrina, I am SO sorry for your loss! :hugs: I know the chances may be slim, but I really hope they catch the jerks who did this. I'm really glad your bags are safe and sound. The precautionary measures you listed are ones we should all take into account. I was half kidding when I asked a handy man/friend of ours to put a keypad lock on my walk in closet and was overjoyed when he actually did it)... you really can never be too safe.

Sabrina, sorry to hear what happened to you. I hope those thieves get caught! I probably would have gone insane if I found out if my most precious items got stolen. Thanks for sharing your story and wonderful tips. Take Care.

Oh my god, I'm so sorry for what happened to you. I'm sure this is a painful experience but look on the positive side that your family is safe :smile: Just look forward to the new things that chanel will be coming out with.

Thanks. We are going to up the insurance for jewelry. Didn't have enough to cover all the jewelry taken. But the shoes, perfume, and misc stuff will be covered. The also took my digital camera, ipod, and some of DH's Navy stuff.

Terrible! Sorry to hear this! It's not a good feeling to be robbed at all, regardless of what is stolen or not... but thanks for the tips... I have been thinking about uppipng my insurance... hope they catch these people!

Yes, you should get a security alarm. I never knew how necessary they are. The police said anyone who collects any type of luxury goods should have one. The neighbors can see if you bring home a bunch of bags from nice stores. Although a lot of my stuff gets shipped, somehow people know.

WOW! How horrible! I am truly sorry for what happened to you.
Thanks for all your tips. I always have those fears and I think it's really time I have home security alarm installed!

Yup, it's not just celebrities anymore. I think with the economy being so bad probably makes it worse. I think all TPFers should be careful since we all love luxury items whether it be bags, shoes, jewelry, clothes, these are all things that got stolen from me (except for the bags thank God.) They didn't find them.

I'm horrified~ I heard stories of celebs (incl Rachel Bilson) who lost their designer bags and clothing and I didn't think it could happen to one of us. I guess it did. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I will definitely start to store my all of my items carefully. *Hugs* and thank you so much for the tips.

The alarm system was installed yesterday. We have motion detectors, alarm system on the doors/windows, plus an extra device that sounds off the alarm if glass breaks just in case they decide to literally break in. It is one of the monitored systems too. We set the alarm off on purpose tonight to see how the company handled it and they did great. They called DH within a minute and told us they were calling the police. DH told them it was us that set it off and were just testing the system. So things are safer now.

That is horrible... I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm glad that you still have your Chanel bags. I would definitely get an alarm system since you travel often. I hope they are able to catch the thieves.

This is exactly what the claims adjuster said. Luckily I have pics of all the Chanel jewelry that was taken (from doing my reveals on TPF.) No receipts but pics worked out fine. Also had pics of the shoes too. Didn't have pics of everything, but the insurance gave this advice as well. So from now on, every piece of jewelry is going to get photographed and the receipt kept. Our insurance covered everything except the jewelry. We didn't realize there was a cap on jewelry. Everything else falls under personal property which we had more than enough insurance for. So we just have to take out a special rider on any fine jewelry pieces I get in the future. Thank God I had my wedding rings with me.

This is a serious tragedy. I'm so sorry for you. This would be a nightmare for any of us.

More tips: You need to add a special rider to you home owner's policy to cover you collection (most regular policies don't cover it). It helps to have photos/copies of receipts etc. I have known people who have made videos of their possessions for insurance purposes. If you had an organized catalog of everything, that would be helpful.

Also, thieves typically head straight for the master bedroom closet. They know most of the goodies are in there and if they don't have much time, that is the first place they will go. You may want to store your stuff in other places in the house and not all together.

Keep your alarm set at all times even while you are at home and even when your DH is there with you. I set the alarm every time I go in/out the door. I know two people who had break-ins while they were home! Thieves often strike during the day while they think people are at work.

If anyone else has good tips, please post them!

I'm really sorry for you Bri. :sad: