I want the Ladies Web tote in the canvas. Pros and cons?

StarBrite310

Purse & Jewelry Fanatic!
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
I haven't used a Gucci bag in yeaaars! However I came across this bag yesterday at Saks and I just love the vintage look it portrays because of the red and green stripe. I love the bags that have that. I was probably going to get the black one because I am more in the need for black than beige/brown but I do think the beige one is super cute! I'm still confused on which color.

Besides color choice though, what do you girls think of this bag? Does it hold up well being it's not leather? Does it get annoying to get things in the bag because of that web snap thing on top?...having to keep opening it and closing it.

I'd love to hear pros and cons on this bag as I was possibly planning to purchase it this weekend.

Thanks! :smile:

I think you should look on ebay at some of the vintage pieces they have....just a suggestion :smile: the canvas on the new bags can be iffy...not sure...I have a few and they always make me nervous..

I have this bag in black and LOVE it. It is probably the longest running used bag in my collection EVER, having been used EVERYDAY since July until about last week. I like the flap closure since I tend to leave bags open and this makes it a little safer. I LOVE the beige but needed a black bag and it makes me very happy. I suggest it BIG TIME! And also, the strange shaped strap is GREAT and makes it sit where it is supposed to. Super comfy.

I have this bag in black and LOVE it. It is probably the longest running used bag in my collection EVER, having been used EVERYDAY since July until about last week. I like the flap closure since I tend to leave bags open and this makes it a little safer. I LOVE the beige but needed a black bag and it makes me very happy. I suggest it BIG TIME! And also, the strange shaped strap is GREAT and makes it sit where it is supposed to. Super comfy.

Ohhh this is good to hear :biggrin: Question though, have you found the red and green on the bag to be a little limiting with certain clothes?

mmm if you're talking about this bag:
100120101663.jpg

i strongly advise against it...my bag has fallen apart at the hinge area, where the shoulder strap meets the bag...Long story, but it is under a yr old and i've carried it less thn 10 times, never overloaded it either....

Supposed to drop by gucci to see if they will fix it for me...soon ><

I own the large ladies web hobo in the beige/beige color combination. I've only used the hobo twice thus far and therefore haven't had any issues with it. It's such a great bag to carry as it sits well on my shoulder but I especially love the fact that the red/green webbing reminds of the vintage Gucci bags. I was also lucky enough to procure a pair of the web mules in dark brown at my local Gucci outlet. Here's a photo of my web set, items still brand new at the time:

2009_0820GucciWebHoboMules0013.jpg

Last edited:
I have the exact one that Amaris has, the brown Guccissima one, and I've had no problems with it, I've actually used it quite often and probably have overloaded it a lot but mine has held up really sturdy.. the snap thing doesn't get in the way for me, makes it pretty easy to get in and out of but gives it some security that something is closing your purse. As for the fabric, I have a lot of canvas monogram Gucci purses and they've all held up nicely.

I own the large ladies web hobo in the beige/beige color combination. I've only used the hobo twice thus far and therefore haven't had any issues with it. It's such a great bag to carry as it sits well on my shoulder but I especially love the fact that the red/green webbing reminds of the vintage Gucci bags. I was also lucky enough to procure a pair of the web mules in dark brown at my local Gucci outlet. Here's a photo of my web set, items still brand new at the time:

2009_0820GucciWebHoboMules0013.jpg

Soooo pretty! The Beige one is super cute too!!!

I went and looked today at Neimans and they had the bag with leather on top! Not just on the handle. I think I like this one way better than the other. Same price, more leather! According to the NM website, it's the new version of the Ladies Web. Here is the link. Only photo of the Beige one, not the Black one which is what I will be getting. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...html%3FN%3D0%26Ntt%3Dweb%26_requestid%3D29078

I have the same one as amaris and have yet to use it. The ladies web hobo is a beautiful bag, great choice. The link you posted only shows the snap closure tab in fabric though.:confused1:

I went and looked today at Neimans and they had the bag with leather on top! Not just on the handle. I think I like this one way better than the other. Same price, more leather! According to the NM website, it's the new version of the Ladies Web. Here is the link. Only photo of the Beige one, not the Black one which is what I will be getting. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...html%3FN%3D0%26Ntt%3Dweb%26_requestid%3D29078

Ooh.. I like this new version better to...gives the purse a lil more oomph!

The new version is nice, definitely worth it as you get more leather on the bag for the same price. You'll have to post a reveal of your black large ladies web hobo once you receive it... congratulations!

I also have the same bag as Amaris and I have gotten so much use out of it! I wear it more than all my other bags because it is so comfortable to wear and easy access. I've had no issues with mine whatsoever, but the only thing to be careful with is when opening your bag on a glass countertop at a store becareful of flipping open the flap, becasue that hardware is heavy, and Im so paranoid about shattering the glass with it! :smile:

Ohhh this is good to hear :biggrin: Question though, have you found the red and green on the bag to be a little limiting with certain clothes?

To be truthful there were a few times I thought it may clash a bit but I don't usually match my clothes to my bags so for me, it wasn't a big deal. I really love this bag! And like aliceunchained said, that is SO true about the heaviness of the hardware and thinking I am going to break something.

haven't had an problems with my leather/canvas gucci bags ( i dont carry them that often), i recommend the vintage web in black leather w/green and red stripes if you like that one.